Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I know nothing at all about these cars..... other than the fact that I want something you dont see everday and more on the "exotic" side of things out there.

Currently looking at 05 and 06's Coupes and Spyders.

What are the bare necessities when buying one of these. In other words, if I were to sell in a year or two, what is it most are looking for as far as options.... etc.... etc.
I found a nice white 06 that stickered @ 116k and some change w/3xxx miles and a one owner car.
What is fair in pricing on these, and once factory warranty runs out, how costly are they to repair?

If any of you know of one available in particular that meets all the "necessary" criteria, feel free to let me know.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You should browse the threads. I asked this same question a few weeks ago. The members here are very knowledgable and helpful. Scan the threads they are very educational. BTW - that price sounds very high to me - I have been shopping as well. I think you can find a much better deal out there. What area do you live in?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should browse the threads. I asked this same question a few weeks ago. The members here are very knowledgable and helpful. Scan the threads they are very educational. BTW - that price sounds very high to me - I have been shopping as well. I think you can find a much better deal out there. What area do you live in?
Thanks, I did some searching after creating the thread and found some useful info.
The car I mentioned is what it stickered for new, not what they are asking for now. It seems to have a lot of options and is the color I prefer.

Im in the Chicago area. I almost just purchased an 06 SL65 AMG, and stumbled across these cars.
Not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks, I did some searching after creating the thread and found some useful info.
The car I mentioned is what it stickered for new, not what they are asking for now. It seems to have a lot of options and is the color I prefer.

Im in the Chicago area. I almost just purchased an 06 SL65 AMG, and stumbled across these cars.
Not sure what to do at this point.
My neighbor is a Mercedes tech. I was thinking of an SL65 and he said nothing but HORROR stories with the Benz V12'S.
If not a Maser get an SL55 prices are in the dumpster on them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some info I posted on a different forum

There are maintenance issues! However, a very reliable car. Here are the issues:

1. If you get a cambio corsa (which is the early version of the ferrari F1 tranny, it will wear out at around 15-20K miles and will need to be replaced!) cost 4-5k

2. If you take it to a deal for routine maintinance you'll get raped on labor which charges $250 per hour plus parts. a 6k service will set you back 1.5k

3. You genarly want to stick to an 05/06 because software upgardes were made in 05 which caused the transsmission shifters to shift faster thus reducing clutch wear.

4. The stock springs are a joke for a sports car

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way, here is are some great things:

1. The engine is bullet proof. Its the same block as the Ferrari F430. 05 models (non-GS) have 390 hp. However, add a bypass exhaust system and larini mufflers, and you get 400hp which is what the GS has plus one of the best sounds you'll EVER hear! It literally makes the car sound like a Ferrari.

2. The aftermarket modifications are amazing and priced well. Formula dynamics www.formuladynamics.com makes performance springs and a host of other aftermarket products which transform the car to the beast the car really is.

3. Drive-by-wire is an enhancement that remaps the air/fuel ratios and makes the car as responsive as anything as well as corrects engine matching to reduce clutch wear.

4. There are multiple companies who are now coating Ferrari and Maserati clutches with KEVLAR thus reducing the need to replace one. cost 600 dollars.

5. You can order oil and all of the fluids the car needs online and have an independent or DYI and eliminate ridiculous dealer costs.
6. If you own a Maserati get ready for the carparatsi. You will have people take pictures, stare, point, ask you to pull over, and countless other things both humorous and not so humorous. The car get attention period. But no one will want to race you, they just want to pull by your side and stare. Which is a good thing

What a Maserati is not:
1. It's not the fastest car, but will give you a thrill, because the engine sound by itself is intoxicating and I'm not talking about exhaust! Engine sound.. period, NO other car has this sound.

2. Its not a Luxury. It has beautiful leather, but it's instrumentation is absolute garbage, but it does work. So if your into your ipod, your technology etc.. fogetabout it. It does have a 6 disk cd changes, so you can go back to the oldschool way of entertaining yourself.

3. It is not a BMW, AUDI, MERC, or any other high production car so you won't get all the goodies a BMW etc.. offer at the dealership.

What a Maserati IS:

1. Think of it as a "fine" watch. It's an instant classic, its chic and very sexy and as a result demands your full attention.

2. It is a great daily driver.

3. with modest modifications it can be a thrill on the race track

4. It is a work of art, it has flaws but if taken care of, will provide endless enjoyment. You wont' be board of it in 2-3 years. If you own it, you'll want to keep it!

Finally, if you buy a Maserati, you will need to budget $300 a month for repairs, oil changes, etc.. So if you can afford to buy it, pay for Gas which is no better than what the M3 gets, add an additional $300 a month to the cost of the car. If this is not a problem, then you can afford a Maserati. and like you said, it's the exclusivity and beauty which no high production car can provide. A Maserati is on Par with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

-PS. Resale value of all exotic vehicles take a 20-30% hit within the first year. So a 115k car in 05 will have been 95k in 06 and in 08 about 70k in 09 about 50k and it will finally bottom out at 30k mid-late 09 early 2010. The reason for this is simple supply and Demand. People who can afford to purchase a Maserati new, will not want to buy a used one. Those who want a Used car have an option of buying a BMW new, so most tend to head that way because they get afraid of the Maintenance costs thereby further reducing the demand for the cars. Lastly, lack of service and dealerships adds to the depreciation factor.

With all of this aside, owning a Maserati has intangibles that normal high end cars just don't provide. Besides you will be part of one a great community here at Maseratilife. The folks on this board for the most part all Maserati owners are first class and the camaraderie adds to value of ownership. Hope this info helps.. Best of luck with your decision!

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are maintenance issues! However, a very reliable car. Here are the issues:

1. If you get a cambio corsa (which is the early version of the ferrari F1 tranny, it will wear out at around 15-20K miles and will need to be replaced!) cost 4-5k

2. If you take it to a deal for routine maintinance you'll get raped on labor which charges $250 per hour plus parts. a 6k service will set you back 1.5k

3. You genarly want to stick to an 05/06 because software upgardes were made in 05 which caused the transsmission shifters to shift faster thus reducing clutch wear.

4. The stock springs are a joke for a sports car

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way, here is are some great things:

1. The engine is bullet proof. Its the same block as the Ferrari F430. 05 models (non-GS) have 390 hp. However, add a bypass exhaust system and larini mufflers, and you get 400hp which is what the GS has plus one of the best sounds you'll EVER hear! It literally makes the car sound like a Ferrari.

2. The aftermarket modifications are amazing and priced well. Formula dynamics www.formuladynamics.com makes performance springs and a host of other aftermarket products which transform the car to the beast the car really is.

3. Drive-by-wire is an enhancement that remaps the air/fuel ratios and makes the car as responsive as anything as well as corrects engine matching to reduce clutch wear.

4. There are multiple companies who are now coating Ferrari and Maserati clutches with KEVLAR thus reducing the need to replace one. cost 600 dollars.

5. You can order oil and all of the fluids the car needs online and have an independent or DYI and eliminate ridiculous dealer costs.
6. If you own a Maserati get ready for the carparatsi. You will have people take pictures, stare, point, ask you to pull over, and countless other things both humorous and not so humorous. The car get attention period. But no one will want to race you, they just want to pull by your side and stare. Which is a good thing

What a Maserati is not:
1. It's not the fastest car, but will give you a thrill, because the engine sound by itself is intoxicating and I'm not talking about exhaust! Engine sound.. period, NO other car has this sound.

2. Its not a Luxury. It has beautiful leather, but it's instrumentation is absolute garbage, but it does work. So if your into your ipod, your technology etc.. fogetabout it. It does have a 6 disk cd changes, so you can go back to the oldschool way of entertaining yourself.

3. It is not a BMW, AUDI, MERC, or any other high production car so you won't get all the goodies a BMW etc.. offer at the dealership.

What a Maserati IS:

1. Think of it as a "fine" watch. It's an instant classic, its chic and very sexy and as a result demands your full attention.

2. It is a great daily driver.

3. with modest modifications it can be a thrill on the race track

4. It is a work of art, it has flaws but if taken care of, will provide endless enjoyment. You wont' be board of it in 2-3 years. If you own it, you'll want to keep it!

Finally, if you buy a Maserati, you will need to budget $300 a month for repairs, oil changes, etc.. So if you can afford to buy it, pay for Gas which is no better than what the M3 gets, add an additional $300 a month to the cost of the car. If this is not a problem, then you can afford a Maserati. and like you said, it's the exclusivity and beauty which no high production car can provide. A Maserati is on Par with an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

-PS. Resale value of all exotic vehicles take a 20-30% hit within the first year. So a 115k car in 05 will have been 95k in 06 and in 08 about 70k in 09 about 50k and it will finally bottom out at 30k mid-late 09 early 2010. The reason for this is simple supply and Demand. People who can afford to purchase a Maserati new, will not want to buy a used one. Those who want a Used car have an option of buying a BMW new, so most tend to head that way because they get afraid of the Maintenance costs thereby further reducing the demand for the cars. Lastly, lack of service and dealerships adds to the depreciation factor.

With all of this aside, owning a Maserati has intangibles that normal high end cars just don't provide. Besides you will be part of one a great community here at Maseratilife. The folks on this board for the most part all Maserati owners are first class and the camaraderie adds to value of ownership. Hope this info helps.. Best of luck with your decision!

Cheers
Tony
Wow.... great info! Thanks much for that. My only concern would be what I highlighted in bold print above. Would this be the case for a car that is more of a daily driver?
I will be lucky to put 4-5k on per year, so I'm hoping that would not be the case for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Tony - that was great info to me as well. Anyone considering getting one should read your thread it was very informative! I can't wait to close the deal on one! Reading the threads daily only heightens my enthusiasm and anticipation of owning my own. Thanks again and to MASERATI who started this thread I can't wait to see what you purchase as well!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Maserati,

Even at 4-5K a year, it would still be wise to budget $300 a month for maintenance.

The clutch, pads, rotors, tires all wear quickly on these cars and the parts are not inexpensive. At the moment, a number of the parts (ie rotors and clutch) have no aftermarket source so you are stuck paying a premium.

If you purchase a car that has either low mileage or that has had the clutch / brakes replaced recently then you could very well go a few years without any maintenance costs given your mileage, but it is always safest to budget!

Also, don't make the assumption that if you purchase a car under warranty it won't cost you anything to maintain during the warranty period!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts