Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally happened. After 6 months without a scratch, I was almost sideswiped by a truck and ended up bouncing off the curb after getting a little too close. It looks like I side swiped the front rim and then bounced off and caught the rear rim. Both are scraped but the rims aren't dented. Afterwards, I didn't feel any pulling to one side or the other as if the alignment was messed up. However,what should I be looking for as far as possible damage that I can't see. I can always get the rims refinished but I am not sure if I should be looking somewhere else on the car. Thankfully, no body parts were scratched. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would check the two tires obviously, but if the cars drives normally and the brakes are engaging fine then I would count my blessing and not be too concerned. You would have noticed anything really serious by now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reassuring words. You just never know with this car what was built tough and what might be fragile. I am going on a 35mi trip tomorrow. I should then find out if any major damage occurred.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry to hear your misfortune.

I would test car in straights under acceleration and coasting, in turns and also under braking to look for any pulls or vibration from the steering wheel.

I would also put the car up on a lift and check for any play from the affected wheels and suspension components.

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
I'd bring the car in for a tire rebalance: It's a cheap way to learn if your rims are bent and whether any of the balance weight was knocked off. Most any shop can do this.

An alignment would be another good move: The results of this will help you to be sure that you have not bent any suspension components.

Both of these items will help you to be sure that the tires aren't going to wear funny and that your handling wasn't effected as well.

Drive a bit without the radio on. Listen for anything funny under different circumstances. Driving next to an unobstructed wall ( i.e. no bushes in the way between you and the wall or building ) is actually a great way to listen for noises that you wouldn't normally be able to hear.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeff and everyone else. I drove the car Sunday for about 50 miles at varying speed, and high speed and she ran true and solid. I also drove next to the wall on the highway with the window open and didn't hear any odd noises. IO will have the tires rebalanced as the rims are also missing a little metal. Unfortunately, no one other than the dealer is willing to do alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts