Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined the forum, and looking forward to getting stuck in...

Bio: Big time car fan, currently own an '03 CL55K AMG and looking at changing it to a Grancabrio Sport.

Have read quite a bit of literature on these cars however had a few specific questions regarding a car I have seen nearby and wanted to get some thoughts.

Vehicle I am looking at: 2013 GC Sport 4.7, Grigio Granito with cream leather. 29k miles. Private seller, Full Service History. Out of Maserati warranty but mechanically checked and all in good condition. However, the interior/exterior has not been loved to the extent of which most people would like, hence the questions below.

Questions:

1. Soft top has an exterior small scuff above drivers head which looks like a hole through the top layer, however it is not deep and is not leaking. Has anyone seen these types of things before and successfully fixed them? Any idea of cost?

2. Interior Drivers side Door card has a 'chip' in the leather next to the speaker (think where your shoe would scrape as you exit the car in a tight car park). This is quite small, around the size of a pinhead, but will get worse as time goes on. Has anyone seen these types of things before and successfully fixed them?

3. Looking at the car from the side, next to the rear drivers side window, there is a metal/plastic trim where the cabrio roof lining meets the bodywork , which is rusting. I attach a couple of photos (see red line) of the rusting. This strikes me as a bit of a problem, but i cant find any information on anyone having experienced this. Does anyone have any experience of this and any ideas of fixing it/costs?

4. Any other advice on the MY/things to look out for would be appreciated!

I love the car, and though none of the above items are a deal breaker, the above issues need to be reflected in the purchase price, and i need to have an idea if they are fixable and costings.

Really appreciate the responses received as i appreciate i am a newbie to this forum!

Thanks

Amish

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
The top would be my only concern depending on how bad it is as I don't know what kind of fixes can be done to the fabric. The other issue are minor and there are professionals who can correct those items easily and cheaply. You have to realize these are USED cars. There will invariably be some minor issues on any car. The way I look at it is if my car was flawless I'd be afraid to drive it and you are going to want to drive a GT once you get one.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
With regard to the convertible top, this is a common issue and it's been discussed recently in another thread. As sistysixpony noted, only you can decide if the scuff is worrisome enough to skip on purchasing the car. My 2013 convertible also has a scuff in the same location, but I just keep an eye on it. It’s an expensive job to replace the top...around $7500.

·
Registered
2018 Maserati Granturismo Sport Convertible
1,481 Posts
Besides the above mentioned issues, I would get a thorough PPI with an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
2013 GTC MC
511 Posts
The trim rust actually is common in other convertibles I've seen just not on this car. You should be able to replace trim pieces but Maserati parts aren't cheap.

The leather and cloth can all be easily patched up professionally as long as you find a good shop to do it.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
114 Posts
As a recent new Maserati owner I’ve had mine for eight days now - I can tell you that you’ll never find a perfect car and if you do find a true trailer princess that looks immaculate on the outside if it hasn’t been driven well you never know what you’ll eventually run into.
My roof has a similar issue and when you find out how easy it is to scuff the leather inside you’ll understand that your car might be in a better shape than you’re imagining it. If you find a car you love - and it checks out just go for it. When you drive it you will soon forget all the things that you thought were imperfect about it. Those little flaws, if you will, is what gives it its own character - if you can love it for that great if not then you never will. Think of it as going out on a date with a supermodel that has a few freckles - you will either love her for it or forever be distracted by them it really is just a matter of perspective.

·
Premium Member
2013 GTS Coupe
2,583 Posts
Think of it as going out on a date with a supermodel that has a few freckles - you will either love her for it or forever be distracted by them it really is just a matter of perspective.
I’d look at that as a great opportunity to play ”connect the dots“ ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All, thank you so much for the responses, I note the following commentary and some updates:

- Given the guy an offer, hes said no.. lets see if he changes his mind, these cars have a finite number of buyers so fingers crossed..

- re Bodywork- never going to be perfect, it is italian.. haha.. i just got the feeling that this car hasnt been loved enough..

- re Roof scuff - seems common, if anyone has the link to the discussions on this forum please let me know, i tried searching a number of parameters but didn't find anything.. maybe im getting it wrong?

- PPI check - good idea, will definitely consider if the seller accepts my offer..

- re Rust - seems common for convertibles, i'm hoping to get a quote for repairing it in any case, will let you know if successful.

Also a of forward planning (whether its this car or another), but i noticed the exhaust valves only open if the car is in sport mode and hits above 3000RPM, or if the gear lever is in manual and car is in Sport mode.. has anyone managed to mod the valves so they stay open even when not in Sport (or sport/manual) Mode?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Hi All, thank you so much for the responses, I note the following commentary and some updates:

- Given the guy an offer, hes said no.. lets see if he changes his mind, these cars have a finite number of buyers so fingers crossed..

- re Bodywork- never going to be perfect, it is italian.. haha.. i just got the feeling that this car hasnt been loved enough..

- re Roof scuff - seems common, if anyone has the link to the discussions on this forum please let me know, i tried searching a number of parameters but didn't find anything.. maybe im getting it wrong?

- PPI check - good idea, will definitely consider if the seller accepts my offer..

- re Rust - seems common for convertibles, i'm hoping to get a quote for repairing it in any case, will let you know if successful.

Also a of forward planning (whether its this car or another), but i noticed the exhaust valves only open if the car is in sport mode and hits above 3000RPM, or if the gear lever is in manual and car is in Sport mode.. has anyone managed to mod the valves so they stay open even when not in Sport (or sport/manual) Mode?

thanks!
Here's the link to the convertible roof discussion:

Convertible roof discussion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts