Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got a car park ding on my 4200 just a week after buying it! I've spoken to a Paintless Dent Removal man but he was just wondering how he can get access to the back of the panel. It's the rear quarter panel about 30cm above the rear tire.

Can the tail light assembly be removed? Or is there some other hole in the trunk or elsewhere where he could access the panel?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had several dings removed from my car by one of these guys and he did an awesome job. One was a ~8 inch crease in about the same spot as you describe. What you need to do is remove the interior liner to get access.
First, remove the long plastic piece that covers the latch. There are 4 or 6 screws (can't remember) that hold this in.
Then, remove the bottom liner. Again a bunch of screws.
Then, remove the side liner (my damage was on the side opposite the battery), and voila. If on the battery side, you will have to pull out the battery too. Remember to keep the trunk lid open if you remove the battery, since trying to open it with the key is challenging, and tests you to the point of nearly breaking the key (common problem noted elsewhere in this forum).
My instructions may be slightly off in terms of the order of things, but it is just common sense, and easy, disassembly work.
Good luck.
Mike
Hi,

I got a car park ding on my 4200 just a week after buying it! I've spoken to a Paintless Dent Removal man but he was just wondering how he can get access to the back of the panel. It's the rear quarter panel about 30cm above the rear tire.

Can the tail light assembly be removed? Or is there some other hole in the trunk or elsewhere where he could access the panel?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have a few small dings on my bimmer and was wondering how these paintless dent repair systems actually work. Anyone know anything about the actual process? Also, how do you know if your dent(s) is going to be repairable with acceptable cosmetic results?

·
Registered
246 Posts
The guy who did my car was awesome. As long as there is no paint damage, the good guys can make pretty large dents disappear. He did it with a collection of different shaped bars he could manipulate inside various panels, and used some sort of mirror on the outside to show him how well things were working, making sure he didn't overfix something, for example. It was cool to watch him.
The guy who did my car, and I would highly recommend him, is Sean Burkhardt with DentPro, in Campbell, CA.
Mike

I have a few small dings on my bimmer and was wondering how these paintless dent repair systems actually work. Anyone know anything about the actual process? Also, how do you know if your dent(s) is going to be repairable with acceptable cosmetic results?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
here's a vid of PDR at work http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psHEVTNbuoM - happens to be a Maser! Here they removed the tail lights to get access to the panel.
Wow - that's amazing. Had no idea that's how they do it. Any idea (ballpark) of how these services are costed....say for a typical door ding that you might get from a parking lot?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Depends on the size of the ding. They quote by size. A 'dime' size ding is les to fix than a 'quarter' size ding. Less than $100 per ding as I remember.

Wow - that's amazing. Had no idea that's how they do it. Any idea (ballpark) of how these services are costed....say for a typical door ding that you might get from a parking lot?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts