Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer I purchased the car from is sponsoring a track day in May and helmets are required. This will be my first track event (in any car), and am looking for experience on how I should go about getting a helmet... Will a motorcycle helmet do? Is it really worth buying a new $300-400 helmet for one or two track days a year?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Generally DOT approved full-face helmets are required. Some tracks\organizers (insurance underwriters) require a helmet less than a year or two old - similar to NHRA requirements for helmets and seat belts.

I've always used my SHOEI motorcycle helmet from '00 for SCCA events without problem (except that its a bit heavy and warm).

I'd really recommend getting one of these too:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400095+303801&autoview=sku

They keep you from getting a sore neck if the track is especially bumpy or a lot of high-g turns, and in the small chance you get into a wreck, they aren't quite a HANS, but its cheap insurance against serious neck injury. Just make sure you get the 360 degree style vs the horseshoe (for drag racing).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, can you recommend any good sites for a selection of helmets? My google searching has been relatively ineffective.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The dealer I purchased the car from is sponsoring a track day in May and helmets are required. This will be my first track event (in any car), and am looking for experience on how I should go about getting a helmet... Will a motorcycle helmet do? Is it really worth buying a new $300-400 helmet for one or two track days a year?
Motorcycle helmets will not pass standard. If it is a Ferrari Club run event you will need at least a Snell 2000SA certified helmet. Motorcycle helmets are not fireproof.

They should have other requirements as well, a neck restraint system is not mandatory but is highly recommended. You should also ask if they require a driver's suit (how many layers).

Also are their corner workers professionals? Same with the instructors, pros or are the club instructors?

Joe

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only information I see is a statement of two classes, Sport and Touring. Sport requires helmet and nomex; and touring requires only a helmet but does not permit passing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A big thing to look into is wether you need a Snell M rated helmet or if the track days require the Snell SA rated helmet the difference is that the SA uses a Nomex liner where motorcycle helmets do not.

·
Registered
286 Posts
check this site out it is the snell foundation http://www.smf.org/
will tell you all you need to know about helmets.
good luck also it will help if you can try on helmets before you buy one so check your town for dealers.

also the main difference between m and sa, m is not tested for multiple impact sa is.
if you have a roll bar an m helmet is not as protective.

as far as cost goes how much do u want to protect your head?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts