Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Looks to be a new forum and I'd love to be apart of it.

My name is Tory and I am 23 and live in Edmonton, Canada.

I was a classic Mercedes-Benz sedan purist (fan of nothing past 1991). I had the bug for many years and know tonnes about classic MB's - until I stumbled upon an ad and some images of a Biturbo.

I was shocked at the interior, the engine and basically everything about the car.

Now I am in the market for a nice Biturbo.

You have to understand what a departure this is from my usual driving experience. My last MB was a real champ. It was a 1981 S-class W126 designation with a 3.0L I5 turbo diesel engine. The car was looooong and roomy.

I am excited to try something new.

Anyway. I am looking at this one car and I have a few questions!

It's a 1985 Biturbo Coupe "E". It has an automatic, the liquid cooled intercoolers, a full service history, 75,000 miles from California.

On the down side he says that the air conditioning does not blow cold and the water pump -needs- to be replaced.

What else - he says there is a minor rust spot on a rocker panel but it has not even come close to making a hole.

The interior is top notch and is flawless.

The asking price is $8,900 CDN which is about $7,600 US.

Is it a good deal? Are the "E" models anything to get excited about?

How much are H20 pumps about and are they are to replace? Should the timing belt be done at the same time? I do know that they say the belt should be done every 24,000 miles.

Anyway nice to meet you and talk to you soon!

Thanks,

Tory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not an E

Dear Tory:

Right off the bat, the guy is lying about it being an E! It is not an E! Or if it is, it has been modified to look like a regular Biturbo. $7600 is way too much for a non-E, it is also too much for an E. Especially since it has problems. I bought my E for less than that and it was in fantastic shape.

If I remember correctly, there are 44 distinct parts that make an E. Including lowered suspension, wider wheels, bigger anti-sway bar, head rests on the rear seat, different grill, different side mouldings, etc.

I have pictures of my E if you need to compare. Tell the guy to stop claiming that he is selling an E.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

I'd love to see pictures of your E.

So it's just a regular Biturbo then? With the problems, what should I offer?

How much are typical water pumps and are they labour intensive?

I've phone several local service about prices but it's going to take them a day or two to get back to me.

Thanks!

Tory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh!

Also, where do you find good Biturbo's for sale? I am willing to travel to the US - I was going to do that for my next MB, but that's not going to happen :lol: hehe

Should I find examples in Arizona for example so there's no rust? I guess I run the risk of having dried out interiors there.

What is your opinion? How did you find yours?

Thanks again!

Tory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Biturbo E

Dear Tory:

OK, I would offer the guy maybe $3,000 US for a regular biturbo with mechanical issues. The water pump is not going to be cheap to fix. Even if you do it yourself and buy parts off of eBay, you are looking at maybe $150 for the pump.

The guys car is not the proper color for an E. All Es had a two tone paint job. An anthracite color on the bottom 12" or so that matched the bumper color. You are missing the clock in the dashboard. The wrong wheels are on the car. They are not E or regular Biturbo wheels. The wrong spoiler is on the rear deck. I already mentioned the head rests on the rear seat, that is one of the biggest give aways! Only the E had them (at least up until '85, I can't say for later years). You don't have the "E" emblem on the rear trunk. I have only seen Es in two colors: Red or Silver. I would be curious to know if anyone has seen an E in any other color. The liquid intercoolers, incidentally, do NOT make an E! Not all Es have them! Only the Es on the West Coast had them added by the dealer. Es on the East Coast did NOT. Many standard Biturbos have had liquid intercoolers added at a later date. The intercoolers bump the HP to 205 and more importantly the torque to 260ft/lbs. Motor Trend tested the E in 1985 and it was the third fastest production car that they had ever tested!

If any of these pictures don't show up, let me know...

The E grill. Standard Biturbos had a plastic "egg crate" horizontal grill:

The trunk E tag:

The solid color wheels. This anthracite color matches the bumpers and the 12" bottom color. Only the E had this color for the wheels. Standard Biturbo wheels are all metal (no paint). Later Biturbo wheels came with this color on the outside toward the rim, but the center was bare metal. The wheels are also 6.5". The standard Biturbo has 6" wheels:

The rear head rests, the grill, the two tone paint and the "E" on the trunk are the four most visible traits of the "E":

Nicely done intercoolers:

Finally, the car. This shows the two tone paint:

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a wonderful Biturbo

Yeah I low balled him...

And you were close on what my guy quoted me on a new water pump.

What's your email?

I am curious where you get cars like an E - I am willing to travel to the US to get it and then drive it up.

Talk to you soon and thanks for showing me your car.

I really want a Biturbo - even with it's meticulous maintanace schedule!

Tory

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
biturbo
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing