Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Your discussions on this site are fantastic! Very informative so I want to thank you all retrospectively for that.

I have a couple questions for you all regarding a couple different issues:

1. Would any of you consider having a QP as your daily driver in Chicago?

I have been fortunate enough to be offered a job in Chicago and one in Dallas. I'm sure the QP would be fine in Big D, just not Chicago... and yes, it's part of the decision. Chicago gets snow and all that, and I won't have two cars... I suppose the same question goes for the Coupe.

2. Does anybody think this would be an okay daily driver?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Maserati-Coupe-Cambiocorsa_W0QQitemZ300066299831QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I must admit I'm attracted to the coupes, but the lack of Navigation (especially since I'm moving to a new location) on the Gransport makes it a non-starter for me. On the other hand, the TopGear review of the Coupe made me a little skeptical. This one's in Dallas, so if any of you Dallas guys have seen it around let me know what you think!

Thanks again guys for a fantastic board! I hope to be a regular contributor!

·
Registered
312 Posts
extramice said:
Hi guys,

Your discussions on this site are fantastic! Very informative so I want to thank you all retrospectively for that.

I have been fortunate enough to be offered a job in Chicago and one in Dallas. I'm sure the QP would be fine in Big D, just not Chicago... and yes, it's part of the decision. Chicago gets snow and all that, and I won't have two cars... I suppose the same question goes for the Coupe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Maserati-Coupe-Cambiocorsa_W0QQitemZ300066299831QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6313QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I must admit I'm attracted to the coupes, but the lack of Navigation (especially since I'm moving to a new location) on the Gransport makes it a non-starter for me. On the other hand, the TopGear review of the Coupe made me a little skeptical. This one's in Dallas, so if any of you Dallas guys have seen it around let me know what you think!

Hey Welcome to the board!
I've been driving my 2005 QP as a daily driver for 53,000 miles now. But I don't do much heavy traffic with it. I don't think its a good foul weather car. I'm just now retiring it as my daily driver but will keep it; first time ever to keep a car like this. Just can't part with it. Coolest thing ever! As much as I love my QP I can't see it as an only car in Chicago. Just not a snow car.

Regarding navigation. THe Maser nav system sucks big time. By a Garmin NUVI portable and then get whatever car you find most appealing.

Ken

·
Registered
191 Posts
extramice said:
Yes.

extramice said:
Yes. There is no reason that particular car would be less okay as a daily driver than any other Maserati, as far as I can tell. Unless your neighborhood has a CC&R against black-colored cars.

The truth is, any car can be a daily driver, depending on your tolerance level. I think QPs are better daily drivers than Coupe/GS as their transmissions seem smoother in stop-and-go traffic. Also, you could just get the new QP Auto if it really is a concern for you.

extramice said:
I must admit I'm attracted to the coupes, but the lack of Navigation (especially since I'm moving to a new location) on the Gransport makes it a non-starter for me. On the other hand, the TopGear review of the Coupe made me a little skeptical.
The Navigation in Maseratis is not the greatest anyway. You could always get an aftermarket unit if you had to, like a Garmin. TopGear, btw, is sometimes just full of it. Drive a Maserati and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
extramice said:
Hi guys,

I've seen the 2005 Nero CC Vintage at Andretti in Dallas and it is beautiful. I don't think they have much room to deal and believe the reserve is very close to the Buy It Now price (BTW, that's the identical car I decided on to be my daily driver). As far as weather, it's the unpredictable hail storms that scare the heck out of me here.

I live and work in Plano and commute about 10 miles a day including lunch. No rush hour stop and go into/out of Dallas/Ft. Worth but a lot of school zones and 30 MPH streets.

I moved here from California 15 years ago and love it! IMHO a perfect place for any Maserati ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

You guys are very helpful... If I move to Dallas, Buzz, I'll have to consult you on some good roads to take the 'rati on.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would agree with the others that the qp or cc/gs can be daily driven. I drive my CC daily outside dc and we get snow. Its not the greatest in that weather but it works safely.

As far as Nav and other accessories. Buy the car you want for the car. You can always integrate stuff in. The GS is the easiest-- just relace the becker with a master Alpine with a flip screen and nav/bluetooth, etc...

-dsd

·
Registered
390 Posts
extramice said:
the TopGear review of the Coupe made me a little skeptical.
That review was BS. Clarkson is a prat and not a journalist at all. He lies and leaves out relevant information. All that spinning could only have happened if he turned the traction control off. I drive harder than 99% of people on the road and the only time the back end has ever come loose on me is when I've forced it to, and even then only when I've turned the MSP off. It doesn't handle AT ALL the way he tried to present it. While the show is entertaining, he's a turd.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The big question is where are you going to live in relation to work in Chicago. I used to live in Winnetka with a job in the Loop. Took the CNW for a number of years then did the commute omn the Edens and Dan Ryan. The early morning (and I mean EARLY 6AM ish) wasn't bad but the aftrernoon was bumper to bumper. Granted this was 10 years ago but location is important.

Snow's not that big a factor they've got the equipment to clean it up fairly quickly but look out for salt. Frequent washes are a must..

Central Expressway in Dallas used to bed a parking lot but I understand they've made vast improvements there.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Steeldream said:
The big question is where are you going to live in relation to work in Chicago. I used to live in Winnetka with a job in the Loop. Took the CNW for a number of years then did the commute omn the Edens and Dan Ryan. The early morning (and I mean EARLY 6AM ish) wasn't bad but the aftrernoon was bumper to bumper. Granted this was 10 years ago but location is important.

Snow's not that big a factor they've got the equipment to clean it up fairly quickly but look out for salt. Frequent washes are a must..

Central Expressway in Dallas used to bed a parking lot but I understand they've made vast improvements there.
There are many improvements in Dallas in general. If you don't mind the toll, the Bush Turnpike and North Dallas Tollway are great. 75 has been vastly improved but still sucks! Just remember this area is FLAT. Probably better on the clutch but boring from a local drive perspective. Oklahoma, Austin and San Antonio are fun rides with some minor hills along the way.

Extramice... Where are you moving from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys!

This is very informative stuff!

I'm moving from New Haven, CT (good windy roads, bad place to live). I'm going to be a marketing prof at either Northwestern (aka Kellogg) or SMU (aka Cox).

In Chicago I would probably live in the Gold Coast and shoot up to Evanston around 10am, return around 8pm or so... mostly on Lakeshore drive.

In Dallas, I'm sure I would live somewhere in the Park Cities and have just a short go to work and back every day.

I've only driven the QP, which I loved. I was deciding between a Bentley GT, DB9 and QP or CC... I like the QP the most though, at least for me.

Right now I have a Range Rover and a 1979 Porsche 928 (was my dream car as a kid). I'll probably get rid of them both...

If anyone has any insights on other things to consider before I buy... I prefer a smoother ride if possible, so I thought I would order the Standard instead of the sport, figuring that the normal one would be sporty enough for me without the extra aggitation... I'll probably be ordering sometime in Feb or March after I get things straightened out with the move.

Thanks again guys, you all are very helpful!

--Andy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would caution against the GS as a daily driver. One of the big reasons is that it will kill you to park it at places like the grocery store. Also, you get a little tired of the rough ride every day. I think the perfect option is to have a sedan or SUV for 2x/week driving and the GS for the other 5 days. Just enough to enjoy the car as much as possible, but not too much to be annoyed with some of the drawbacks. Personally, I found that I could buy a used GS and then leased a new Audi Q7 for about the same out of pocket as leasing a new Quattroporte. Two totally different, yet complimentary cars for the price of one.

I've owned some fun sports cars, such as M5 and 911, and I just can't emphasize enough how much more entertaining the GS is. The shifting is a little jerky, the radio stinks, there is no NAV, but the funny thing is I could care less. As long as you have another option for running errands, listening to some good, loud music, or using your NAV, the GS is an absolute no-brainer.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not to step on anyone's choice of residence toes, Dallas and Chicago are both great but., I think Chicago gets the edge if music, restaurants and theatre are your things...

There are great restaurants and clubs in Dallas, but the bench is deeper in Chicago.

Winter sucks. It can get to -10 with wind chill of -25 and Northwestern is tight on the lake, but the summertime along the lake is hard to beat. You're also just down the road from RoadAmerica.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Steeldream said:
Not to step on anyone's choice of residence toes, Dallas and Chicago are both great but., I think Chicago gets the edge if music, restaurants and theatre are your things...

There are great restaurants and clubs in Dallas, but the bench is deeper in Chicago.

Winter sucks. It can get to -10 with wind chill of -25 and Northwestern is tight on the lake, but the summertime along the lake is hard to beat. You're also just down the road from RoadAmerica.
Moved from Huntington Beach to Mt. Prospect when I was 22. Partied my butt off downtown during the summer/fall. Winter came, stopped at a stop light on ice, full brakes applied, my car got blown by high winds into the car next to me (damage came from trying to get away from each other). The next week I couldn't find a parking space at my apartment complex so I parked on the street. Next morning I couldn't find my car. It was under the snow when the snow plow came through. March I moved back to HB. That's not to say I don't have Dallas stories :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hysterical!

Well, I don't want to step on anyone's toes either, but they are a lot better than New Haven, CT no matter what.

I'm from Seattle originally and moving to New Haven is like going to prison without the free food...

Although I know both cities have their ups and downs I love them both and I'm having a rather hard time deciding!

·
Registered
192 Posts
This may sound silly, but decide based on the job :)

As an outsider to the Business School World, Northwestern sounds more impressive to me.

Just my $.02

-dsd

·
Registered
530 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
Moved from Huntington Beach to Mt. Prospect when I was 22. Partied my butt off downtown during the summer/fall. Winter came, stopped at a stop light on ice, full brakes applied, my car got blown by high winds into the car next to me (damage came from trying to get away from each other). The next week I couldn't find a parking space at my apartment complex so I parked on the street. Next morning I couldn't find my car. It was under the snow when the snow plow came through. March I moved back to HB. That's not to say I don't have Dallas stories :D
Winter is the pits. it's the only place I've ever been where they issue "frostbite warnings" with the weather report - basically that's telling you if you spend more than 15 minutes outside with any exposed skin be prepared to deal with frostbite. They rig up ropes across the plaza at Sears Tower and there are days you STILL can't make it across due to the wind, and forget about using an umbrella December through March - or be prepared to use half a dozen...

It's all counterbalanced by summer concertrs at Ravinnia or summer nights by the lake.

I've got three ex inlaws that are graduates of Kellogg but Cox is well thought of too. Cereal or Communications take your pick 8^)>

·
Registered
909 Posts
is chicago. is not chicago.

Has your Chicago winter been as mild as ours?

I think we've seen three or four normally frigid days here, but otherwise its been ridiculously warm. We've got patchy snow leftover from a semi-weak snowstorm we had just before Christmas. Its been nearly 40 a few times since then. Hell the average high is like 20 with an average low of 4 in Jan, and I think we've been 5-15 degrees above average all winter, with maybe 6 inches of snow. (we're supposed to average like 54" for the whole winter I think).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
maserati of minneapolis said:
Has your Chicago winter been as mild as ours?

I think we've seen three or four normally frigid days here, but otherwise its been ridiculously warm. We've got patchy snow leftover from a semi-weak snowstorm we had just before Christmas. Its been nearly 40 a few times since then. Hell the average high is like 20 with an average low of 4 in Jan, and I think we've been 5-15 degrees above average all winter, with maybe 6 inches of snow. (we're supposed to average like 54" for the whole winter I think).
I noticed you guys are supposed to get cold over the next week. I hope it's not TOO cold when Jennifer and I come up to see our baby. Remember, our coats in Dallas are pretty wimpy compared to yours... Gloves? What are they? :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts