Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found that forum and as I am very interested in a Coupe Cambiocorsa, I have a few questions please.
I currently drive a 996 Carrera 4 Cab, fantastic car but after a test drive of a Maser Coupe, I fell in Love.
It was the first time I tried an F1 Gearbox and I loved it, the only thing is that I was really looking forward for the throttle blip on the downshifts and they didn't happen (it was an 03 car) making the downshifts very jearky.
Was this normal? If yes, it there a way to correct this, a process which would be similar to heal and toe I guess?
The upshifts were excellent!
Interior way better than the 911, it didn't feel faster but somehow, the driving experience is more eventful.
Another question is wether to go for a Tubi exhaust or not? The dealer said it could be installed, but warmed me that it can be a bit too loud for some client! Any comments please? The standard noise is great but I could with a little bit more noise at low rev. I have the sport exhaust on my 996 and love it!
And lastly, I find the car a bit too high, I thought the gap between the wheels and the car itself too big. Does anyone agree and is there a way of Lowering the car?
The dealer was a very nice young man, and told me that a new version is coming out this year. Its name is Maserati Coupe Grandsport (lowered suspension, few hp more, reworked F1 software and a few other goodies) maybe this is the one to go for?:D
Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your replies.
Cheers,
Fanch.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Fanch,

The tubi won't be a problem at all for you if you have a sport exhaust on your car now. Send me a private message and I can refer you to a good dealer for this.

Lowering the car I'm not sure about.

If you love the Maserati but found it a little between performance and luxuary I would go for the new 04 model the dealer was speaking of. You can find pics here:

http://www.corsaphotos.com/gallery/maserati

Welcome to the forum, I hope you end up getting the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The toughest decision you will make in buying a new Maserati will be deciding between the F1 or conventional shifter. I am one that loves new technology and was in the first group here in the USA to own a BMW M3 SMG. I did find it to be an incredible feature with lighting fast upshifts and even though it had great down shift blips it was still jerky and you had to get used to the fact that it would down shift only when car was at right speed. Also you could only get it to drop the clutch at 1800 rpm off the line, Not sure what type of launch control is programed into F1 software. If I was buying a car to be an every day driver I would definitely go for the F1, but I missed the feeling of a clutch for my spirited drives. That is why I ordered a GT. The F1 type gear box is definitely the future of cars and they will get much better with time, So I figure this will probably be my last car with a clutch and I want to enjoy every minute of driving it. The only other car I looked at before ordering my Spyder GT was the 911, But decided against it after seeing price skyrocket as I added options to get it to be similar to the maserati I planned on. Also many 911s on the roads and I am looking forward to driving a car that their are so few of. I am also thining of the Tubi but figure I will drive car for a little while and then decide if I want to change. Would be nice if Maserati gave you the option of deleting the stock exhaust and getting the Tubi when ordering car, As it kind of sucks to have to basicaly throw away a Brand new exhaust which I did with my M3 as the rasp of that car drove me nuts and even after changing exhuast it was not much better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think I would be pretty upset if Maserati came out with a whole new facelifted and changed coupe within the year. I am supposed to be getting my Coupe thursday (hopefully) which i am very excited about, but I asked my dealer before I ordered the car if she knew anything of Maserati changing the Coupe in the near future and she said no. Maybe she really didn't know about anything at that time, but the last thing I want to do is get this car and then in a few months have it be kinda obsolete in comparison to the newer "Grandsport" one. I have just always liked having the latest models of things and I dont want to have an "outdated" model within a few months. can't say i'm too happy with this news. It's great news for other people, though. :|

In response to your question, I haven't heard a Tubi yet, but I've heard that it sounds great. I'm going to keep the stock exhaust for about a month or so, and ask the dealer to let me physically hear what a Tubi would sound like on another car first, and then decide then. I do agree that there is a big gap between the wheels, and I didn't know if by lowering the car, if it would mess up the skyhook and/or warantee. If you don't mind, supposing the rumor is true, not having a "better" model come out of the coupe, then by all means get the car now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Andrew-I went to the link that you posted and I couldn't find any pictures of that new model there. Only pics of the Quatroportte, the 3200, and like an 02 or 03 spyder

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would not worry about the rumored coup sport model that might be coming out. From what I have heard it will be like what BMW did with the M3 when they came out with the M3 CSL. This will not replace your current coup, will basically be the same car just lighter and made more to be track ready. It seems you are buying your car to be an every day driver and I am sure there track version will not be nearly as comfortable as your coup will be. I know I am buying my Maserati for what I feel is a perfect combination of high performance with luxury. If I wanted strictly performance could have spent half as much money and bought a vet or mustang cobra

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott is exactly right. This will be to the Coupe what the GT3 is to the 996, the M3 CSL to the M3 or the Challenge Stradale to the modena.
The street version of the Trofeo car will be much stiffer with, I presume, a lot of the creature comforts taken away. That's all I know.
I'd personally go for the Coupe as I intend to use it on the streets most of the time as a GT and love the italian interior fulll of leather, makes my 996 feel bland in comparaison.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cambiorati: my Coupe was lowered by 2 inches by my local dealer. It was only a tuning without additional component. He said it is a proposal from the factory because some people like me complain because the car was not enough stiff. The car is now stiffer (still a GT), the handling is improved and the look is nicer.

Trofeo Stradale: does anybody have any more information about my next car ;-)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great!

Finally, some spirited discussion...keep it up guys. I too am looking for a daily driver to replace my manual 996. Northbound 405 in the evening is unbearable. Plus, 911s are everywhere. I'll be ordering in a few weeks so keep the ideas and comments flowing. Glad to hear that there are discounts to be had. Any truth to the rumor that tabacco is to be replaced? Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you h2oman about the fact that the 996 has become "too" common, I mean for a sports car. It is by no doubt a fantastic machine, but I'll be honest, I do mostly open road driving (with of course speed limits) and town driving. So I might as well get a car with proper personnality, style and exclusivity that can fit three friends when needed!
In Paris, not to mention London, I see about 20 to 30 996 a day now. Almost no Maserati.
PS: Been trying to found a sound file of a coupe with Tubi (or any other brand for that matter, I've heard Cargraphic does it too, and other names I've never heard of) Anyone has an idea please? Thanks.
As for your order: I'd get the Skyhook, Cambiocorsa. For the rest, it's up to you really. One other thing I like about Maser compared to Porsche, the option list is not a 200 pages book! :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fanch, thanks for the options advice. I too fell in love with the Maserati Coupe after the first test drive. This car matches my style and personality more than does Porsche. I don't know if it's because of the understated design, the high quality interior, or something simple like the fact that I've always hated sunroofs and there isn't one available on the Maerati! Plus, it always bothered me that when I was finally able to afford my dream car (Porsche 911), I had to purchase an after-market exhaust to get the sound I wanted! The Maserati's tune is sweet.

Do you know if anyone sells clear side marker lights for the Maserati? That was the first thing I changed on my 996. Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clear side marker??? You must be in the States!!! :lol:
I think the best way would be to order the european version which are clear and get someone to send them to you. Should very easy to install and I agree, would look much nicer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Swiss-Maserati---So dealers are now offering to lower the car now? I checked about a few months ago and they said they have never done it and it would probably make the ride not as smooth. I don't really care to have the car stiffer, basically just as long as the car runs smoothly and I can make it stiff with sport mode, i'm fine. But I would love to lower it just a little bit or maybe put 19" wheels on there at some point.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My dealer in Switzerland http://www.maserati-car.ch/ do it. The car is a little bit stiffer but not too much. The normal modal is still very comfortable. In sport mode, the handling is improved (less rolling, more precise placement of the front). The mechanic said me they just tune (it is a screw) the suspension by 50 mm, to the maximum.

I tried 19" wheels on my last car and I have a very bad opinion about that : the look can not be easily differanciated, the car is stiffer, you have to be very carefull to not damage the wheels, the tires are more expensives and the worst you have always some problems of vibration. But if you are decided, you can look at these sites :
http://www.maseratipower.com/ : they have a very good reputation
http://www.caracalla.co.uk/leonardo.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Swiss Maserati, 5 cm!!! That is huge! I would have thought that 2 maybe 3 would be enough.
I talked to the Paris dealer yesterday and they told me that it is indeed possible, they have just done it on a client's car and it's fine. Apparently, it's also about tuning the suspension with the software and a couple of tools.
Does your car scrap every speed bumps and parking ramps?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would highly recomend not putting 19" wheels on. The 18 are a great size for this car, The 911 comes standard with 17 and 18 being an option. I had the 19" on m3 for the first year then changed to 18" got a much better ride and also had to have front end realigned twice with the 19" on. With so little rubber to absord road your front end goes out much quicker

·
Registered
291 Posts
I totally agree with scott.

Fanch, the only problems with my lowered car are : I can not more put the front over the pavement/sidewalk like before (it seems 95% of pavement height are standard in switzerland), and yes the speed bumps must be passed at lower speed than before. I never had any problem with parking ramps or any poor roads. Globally I dont mind about that, excepted when I park the car (but I take car as well of other cars, walls, pavement for the wheels too when parallel parking...).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey folks, I have had my coupe cambiocorsa for over year, but I am new to this particular forum. Some of you may recognize my name from other auto forums. Anyway, hello all!

·
Registered
252 Posts
ebrigham glad to see you followed my link to here. Is nice to see posts from people who actualy own new Maserati's and our happy with them. Has been tough getting to excited about my new Spyder coming after reading so many negative posts the past couple of months about Maserati. And it seems almost all those posts are from people who do not even own a Maserati. Much of the future of Maserati here in the USA will rely on us owners spreading the word on these completly new cars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts