Maserati Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does this "The hose goes bad from the inside out because of electrolysis within the engine that goes on because of the dissimilar metals in the engine and the coolant." ...mean there is no modern hose that is heat resistant that is fiberglass reinforced that would not last 10+ years?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The hose goes bad from the inside out because of electrolysis within the engine that goes on because of the dissimilar metals in the engine and the coolant...Stuff like that is kinda common in some cars...Just to point out that all these cars with broken hoses are well out of warranty and the part did its job from a manufacture stand point...Jason
10 years out of a hot rubber hose seems fair to me too. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Does this "The hose goes bad from the inside out because of electrolysis within the engine that goes on because of the dissimilar metals in the engine and the coolant." ...mean there is no modern hose that is heat resistant that is fiberglass reinforced that would not last 10+ years?
Silicone hose is basically indestructible. I use it when im replacing any vacuum hose on BMW's or Porsches i work on. BMW, by far, has the 80,000 mile coolant hose explosion. The aftermarket has options out there. But for this little hose, I would just get bulk silicone hose.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yeah I would just replace that small hose. I would take it to the local industrial hose shop and say "give me 4 inches of the best hose you got!" No matter how much it costs Lol. And it would be nice if its steel braided too.

Really, it seems like they could have made that pipe rigid all the way across. Theres no flexing between cylinder heads.

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
157 Posts
Yeah I would just replace that small hose. I would take it to the local industrial hose shop and say "give me 4 inches of the best hose you got!" No matter how much it costs Lol. And it would be nice if its steel braided too.

Really, it seems like they could have made that pipe rigid all the way across. Theres no flexing between cylinder heads.
I like the way you think!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
I'm surprised noone asked about the new setup- is there no connection between the 2 sides of the engine now? I'm in the middle of replacing mine... and need to know if to get normal setup or is this the "new way" for a 2010 GTS?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
116 Posts
Hi,
I'm surprised noone asked about the new setup- is there no connection between the 2 sides of the engine now? I'm in the middle of replacing mine... and need to know if to get normal setup or is this the "new way" for a 2010 GTS?

I debated that same question, theres another thread here about doing that. He said it was a real pain. My conclusion is that the original hose has lasted 10 plus years so for less that $10, I'm good for another 10 years and it'll be some one elses problem.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
When these were previously posted many felt they would never modify the original Maserati design on this cooling issue to this extent.
Is it being capped with the same banjo bolt? Seems like it would be too long...unless you're cutting it down...

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
6,037 Posts
I just fix the older ones with a better hose....It isn't big enough of a problem were I'm gonna go through explaining all this to a customer...The original one lasted 10 years and none of these folks are gonna own the car for another 10 years...Jason

Reactions: GT/MC 4ME

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, Hope it's included with the hose!
(gathering all the intel I can for when the day comes!) Knock on wood...
The driver side plug is NOT included with hose. You'll need:
241253 passenger side hose
203787 filler neck bolt (reuse from original setup)
10259960 x3 gasket (seems to be discontinued...so need alternative metal washer)
280597 driver side plug

These are for 2010 GTS

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just fix the older ones with a better hose....It isn't big enough of a problem were I'm gonna go through explaining all this to a customer...The original one lasted 10 years and none of these folks are gonna own the car for another 10 years...Jason
In my case the hose didn't blow, the pipe ruptured at the connection to the banjo bolt.
Strange, mine had metal tube on driver side and a pvc tube on passenger side. so whole piece needed to be removed.
😞
Audio equipment Font Cable Jewellery Body jewelry

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
The driver side plug is NOT included with hose. You'll need:
241253 passenger side hose
203787 filler neck bolt
10259960 x3 gasket
280597 driver side plug

These are for 2010 GTS