Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! Spent the weekend replacing the old heater hose crossover pipe assembly with the new setup that converts to a single plastic pipe. What a pain in the ass. Now I see why the transmission gets dropped for this job. Threading banjo bolts in tight areas makes for high anxiety levels. I take this car to remote roads high in the Rocky Mountains where cell phone service is as non-existent as available tow trucks. So its piece of mind to have the updated design. My only negative observation is the material used for the new pipe is corrugated plastic. Similar to the secondary air injection tubes on Audi/VW's which powder to pieces when you breath on them. So I hope this is a different plastic. Also I was worried about cracking the windshield so when using wrenches I would drape a large movers blanket over edge.
Wood Bumper Font Gas Art

Tight tight tight!! Even with cowl off
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior

Old pipe almost out
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Sleeve Auto part

New pipe
Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

The offending pipe assembly. The little hose on the left is what bursts.
Wood Tool Hand tool Gas Pliers

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi all! Spent the weekend replacing the old heater hose crossover pipe assembly with the new setup that converts to a single plastic pipe. What a pain in the ass. Now I see why the transmission gets dropped for this job. Threading banjo bolts in tight areas makes for high anxiety levels. I take this car to remote roads high in the Rocky Mountains where cell phone service is as non-existent as available tow trucks. So its piece of mind to have the updated design. My only negative observation is the material used for the new pipe is corrugated plastic. Similar to the secondary air injection tubes on Audi/VW's which powder to pieces when you breath on them. So I hope this is a different plastic. Also I was worried about cracking the windshield so when using wrenches I would drape a large movers blanket over edge.
View attachment 139396
Tight tight tight!! Even with cowl off
View attachment 139397
Old pipe almost out
View attachment 139398
New pipe
View attachment 139399
The offending pipe assembly. The little hose on the left is what bursts.
View attachment 139400
Nice work and great photos. Thanks for sharing. I know my number will be called one day and I'll have to figure this out.

5,915 Posts
I know that sucked...You want to pull the hood, but then you have to deal with getting it back on correctly...J

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that sucked...You want to pull the hood, but then you have to deal with getting it back on correctly...J
f**k man, and this isnt even as busy a motor compared to a direct injected Cayenne. The intake removal reminds me of the GM LS-whatever intakes. As for the hood, yea, you want to remove it violently after the 2nd head smack

·
Premium Member
2013 GT/MC SportLine Blu Sofisticato - Black w/Yellow stitching and calipers
107 Posts
f**k man, and this isnt even as busy a motor compared to a direct injected Cayenne. The intake removal reminds me of the GM LS-whatever intakes. As for the hood, yea, you want to remove it violently after the 2nd head smack
Too bad they don't have a hood hinge like Mercedes!!!! Arrrgh!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work and great photos. Thanks for sharing. I know my number will be called one day and I'll have to figure this out.
Thanks! as Jason has stated elsewhere, its not all of them. Just kind of a roulette situation. I didnt want to be a statistic lol

·
Premium Member
2009 GranTurismo S
171 Posts
Interesting it went from aluminum to plastic? Have seen other cars do the opposite. You mentioned Cayenne. Ever do the coolant Tees at the very back of a 955? Yeah, take the entire intake out, put a blanket down then try to lay on it like superman and stand on your head at the same time.

This one doesn't look like any fun at all. Good job.

·
Premium Member
2011 Granturismo S
109 Posts
I just looked at my hood as this fix is still in my future. There appears to be 2 holes near the bolts on the hinge that can be drilled so you can positively locate the hood on reinstallation.
Had these on a previous Italian car, tho I didn't know about them the first few times I took the engine cover off.:mad:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting it went from aluminum to plastic? Have seen other cars do the opposite. You mentioned Cayenne. Ever do the coolant Tees at the very back of a 955? Yeah, take the entire intake out, put a blanket down then try to lay on it like superman and stand on your head at the same time.

This one doesn't look like any fun at all. Good job.
I have done the coolant T's. They are no fun either!

·
Registered
997 Posts
What I always do on hoods (I have more body experience that motor) is mark hinges with tape or wax pencil really well so I can just align it with the old marks and don’t have to do the “don’t dent the corners” shuffle

5,915 Posts
What I always do on hoods (I have more body experience that motor) is mark hinges with tape or wax pencil really well so I can just align it with the old marks and don’t have to do the “don’t dent the corners” shuffle
I love all that and do the same stuff, but the big part is getting it back on and/or not getting the hood/car damaged in the process...We can do it no problem, but your risk for shit to go wrong goes up dramatically when you remove the hood...Part of business is liability and I'm always trying to minimize my risk...My 2 cents..J

·
Registered
997 Posts
I love all that and do the same stuff, but the big part is getting it back on and/or not getting the hood/car damaged in the process...We can do it no problem, but your risk for shit to go wrong goes up dramatically when you remove the hood...Part of business is liability and I'm always trying to minimize my risk...My 2 cents..J
Oh totally agree. The profit on this job doesn’t even pay for half of a new hood. One slip and you just worked for free!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks for the pics, that explains a lot.
I'm surprised this is a "common" problem.
I cant believe in this day in age Maserati didn't have access to "hose technology" that allows a 4" hose (with engine coolant in it) to survive longer than a few years. And then to fix this "problem" they just eliminate that whole coolant passage. 🤔
Maybe they need to hire some aircraft or spacecraft engineers to figure out such complex problems.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks for the pics, that explains a lot.
I'm surprised this is a "common" problem.
I cant believe in this day in age Maserati didn't have access to "hose technology" that allows a 4" hose (with engine coolant in it) to survive longer than a few years. And then to fix this "problem" they just eliminate that whole coolant passage. 🤔
Maybe they need to hire some aircraft or spacecraft engineers to figure out such complex problems.
While this issue has been discussed ad nauseam I've always thought there must be a fiberglass reinforced high-heat hose, of this diameter, that would be indestructible in this application, one could use to completely replace the subject hose. But I have never researched it.

5,915 Posts
The hose goes bad from the inside out because of electrolysis within the engine that goes on because of the dissimilar metals in the engine and the coolant...Stuff like that is kinda common in some cars...Just to point out that all these cars with broken hoses are well out of warranty and the part did its job from a manufacture stand point...Jason

Reactions: JohnnyG

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
While this issue has been discussed ad nauseam I've always thought there must be a fiberglass reinforced high-heat hose, of this diameter, that would be indestructible in this application, one could use to completely replace the subject hose. But I have never researched it.
How about a metal flex pipe like the air valve pipes going to the exhaust....

Product Font Auto part Circle Engineering

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
5,915 Posts
I wasn't talking BS there...You have to spread the actual cost along an engine line or vehicle how many are manufactured and it starts to make sense to save every dollar...I come across things daily that really make no sense technically, but make sense cost wise...Example..A Land Rover/Jaguar /Ford 2.0 has no keyway on the crank, camshaft etc...The bolts are the only thing holding it all together..Stupid right?, but you have eliminated the machining of the keyway, the update of that equipment, and the part... And it all works...Ford is one of the best at it honestly IMO...BMW uses 27 parts to do the same thing as Ford does with 7... :rolleyes: Jason

Reactions: JohnnyG

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I'll take technology over cost savings any day...good thing I'm not in charge of those decisions, or our cars would cost well over $200,000 ;)
I suppose that's why we have all these hand made high dollar $$$$$ boutique hyper cars...no skimping...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts