• NO, 80K-100K+

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
You have never had a car... ?

For what it's worth, my 1980 Mercury Capri got a rotten heater core; it was 11 years old at the time and had about 35K miles. But I think it was much easier to replace than on a Maserati 4200!
I had 5 fox body mustangs (including 83 capri) and never heater core problem. There you go...

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Sorry, But I would rather have the Maserati with it`s double A arm suspension front and rear compared to a live axle and struts in the front...We can fix the suspect heater core, you can`t make up for just a flat out terrible chassis in the Mustang. I have instructed in a few at tracks around the south....F-ing scary! Jason

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sorry, But I would rather have the Maserati with it`s double A arm suspension front and rear compared to a live axle and struts in the front...We can fix the suspect heater core, you can`t make up for just a flat out terrible chassis in the Mustang. I have instructed in a few at tracks around the south....F-ing scary! Jason
Scary is right. That heavy V8 engine hanging over the front axle made it good just about only for gravel road traction. I rolled one and banged another one into a barrier in the mountains....

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
All cars have some shitty parts on them based on my experience...You either deal with them or find another car you love that has other shitty parts...pick your poison......Jason

·
Registered
671 Posts
Also the newer cars are so packed with"stuff" that servicing or replacing anything is a hassle... I miss the times of easy access to all major components. Right now I'm rewiring my restomod '73 Firebird Formula. No problem- child's play...:wink2::thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
3,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
All cars have some shitty parts on them based on my experience...You either deal with them or find another car you love that has other shitty parts...pick your poison......Jason
So true -- there's always some kind of design flaw and/or crappy part somewhere. As long as this is not deep inside the engine or drivetrain you are in luck and should just shut up and fix whatever it is. Like when my son broke the interior door handle on my QP, I just smiled and said "don't worry son, it's a design flaw, they all do that!" $500 later it's all fixed and I have to remember to unlock the doors before he starts pulling the handles...

·
Registered
88 Posts
You’re all dreaming if you don’t think yours will fail. It’s just a shi!!y stupid design.
Attaching the plastic end caps to the center aluminum core (with GLUE) appears to be the problem.
The coolant eventually breaks it down. Ours failed, on our 2003, two years ago this April with about 32,000 on the odometer.
We replaced ours with a ...should never fail Brassworks, for around $600.00
I liked the idea that it would never fail again (of course the hoses could)
I think to spend 15-20 hours of labor taking it out and putting the new one in ...
OR spending a few thousand on labor...
To put another crappy OEM similar model is silly, but maybe that’s just us.
BTW for you amateur or even skilled mechanics who think you can do it in a few hours...GOOD LUCK.
I’m laughing at your hubris already.
There is a reason why dealers charge the quoted numbers, and the independents who have done it. (For the labor alone)
I believed the time estimates...from others before us (my wife and I), and they weren’t lying.
Which reminds me, a second person/set of hands is almost essential at times.
If it took a couple hours, then I as well would have put another OEM version in (Maserati /Saab etc)

For you 2004, 2005, 2006 owners...
As Chet said in Weird Science
Time to pay the Fiddler

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 2004 coupe has 173k miles. The heater core was fine up until it failed absolutely catastrophically and emptied the entire cooling system contents into the interior in about 45 seconds. This happened last summer at about 172k Miles. I have it bypassed for now since i don’t generally drive the car in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have 50,000 miles on my 04 coupe gt. I bought it with 25,000 4 years ago. After I got the car home and was looking around I found some anti freeze up on the insulation/pipe from the heater core, nothing on the carpets. I made a bypass kit and put it in the trunk for the dreaded failure, side of the road fix. Still has not failed after 25,000 miles (knock on wood).

ETA Maybe the previous owner already fixed it and what I found was residual anti freeze.

·
Registered
62 Posts
would shoring up those plastic end caps with jb weld or fiberglass or some such help prevent failure? Anyone try something preventative?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The heater core started leaking on my '03 Coupe at just shy of 60k. Really disappointing. Just not in my budget to repair and the winters aren't severe in central Virginia, so I had my guys bypass, and I just don't get to enjoy it for a few months...

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMHO, if you go to the trouble of getting to the heater core, it's time to go all metal.

KTBD

How hard is it to get to it to do the bypass? If not too bad what about some JB Weld smeared all over the connectors where they tend to fail as a preventative measure? Thoughts?

I don’t want it to happen to mine!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
How hard is it to get to it to do the bypass? If not too bad what about some JB Weld smeared all over the connectors where they tend to fail as a preventative measure? Thoughts?

I don’t want it to happen to mine!!

Bypass is easy to get to from the engine bay. Craigwaterman.com has the guide on his web site.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Been following this (and a lot other..) threads as a newbie owner.

Looking at the posts, would I be correct in assuming that this issue mostly affects only earlier Coupes (not QP?), of the 4200 vintage? Was this issue fixed in later cars?

Thanks,
Hans.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Not fixed on latter cars. No new part was made.

I can't see JB Weld being a solution either as it's just too big an area. And having spent all that cash getting in there, do you want to risk doing it all over again?

C

·
Registered
1 Posts
heater shut down

I have now for a few months a 2002 spyder with 29K miles on it. I bought it in the US in 2018. The seller never told me the central door lock is not working. Now it is shown the heater box is leaking and the relais is dead because of the leak. I think it is sold with this problem to me and i have now to repair it. Not a happy camper now, the repair is not sheap. I think i will do it myself with de replacement of the Saab core. Oh, i live in Europe Neherlands and yes, there are not much spyders in Europe. Everybody knew that the build of this car was not the most perfect one, and ttha is a understatement. But who cares it got 400+ horse, i drove it already with almost 300 km per our on the start and running way in the Netherlands:smile2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced the core in my Spyder - had been misting the windscreen for several weeks. Used a Saab ONS core as recommended by MAS master mechanic - now perfect!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts