Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found some cars that I like, but they are without heated seats. Is it possible to have the original elements and switch added to the seat?
I know that this is possible on some other cars, not sure about Maserati.
If so, any idea about the cost?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to my world....

Fred:

All I wanted in a new car was a sunroof and heated seated... Well, after driving a Maserati, I ended up with no sunroof and no heated seats. But happy as ever.....

I called the dealership in PA and found out I could buy the upper and lower heating coils for the drivers seat. Total parts were around $600.00. Then I was quoted about $600.00 - $1,000.00 in labor... Even though this is a $400.00 - 600.00 option, I was going to have it done.

I was all set to go when the service manager decided to contact the factory to see if the pre-wiring fuse and inner workings were available to tap into. NO LUCK... The dealer could not retro fit the heated seat without some re-wiring. They could install the coils into the seat but there was no normal place to connect and get juice.

The dealership did not feel comfortable trying to rig or warranty the electricial work. Plus they said the labor rate would increase.....

While I was ok with 1,600.00 and I thought that was VERY high, I didn't want to spend $2,000 + for one heated seat.... I'd rather upgrade my speakers or put it towards a new clutch.... I do miss my heated seats but my escalade has them. I loved my white coupe too much to pass on it due to the heated seats.

Maybe you can have better luck. Take care CM

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's a $40 coil, the same kind found in an electric blanket. But you have to un-skin and re-skin your seat to do it. Very labor intensive and not the kind of thing you want to do after the fact unless you just have too much money and are looking for a way to throw it away.

·
Registered
431 Posts
why not try and get used heated seats from a 3200/4200 salvage car? I rarely use the heated seat button and I am in UK. good luck!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
squid said:
It's a $40 coil, the same kind found in an electric blanket. But you have to un-skin and re-skin your seat to do it. Very labor intensive and not the kind of thing you want to do after the fact unless you just have too much money and are looking for a way to throw it away.
It often gets int the 'teens here in the winter. Butt warmers are a good thing.
I have them in the BMW, and got real used to them over the winter. They are now a MUST HAVE option.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know the feeling. The Maser's are pretty mild though, not the ass-on-fire jobs like BMW or my Jeep. It might actually be cheaper to get a whole new seat after all that labor is calculated!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Even with a new seat you can't get juice....

The problem with retro fitting a factory heated seat is due to Maserati being hand / custom built at the factory. They do not pre wire for heated seats unless its on the build order. Even if you bought a seat with coils you would have to tap into some sort of non factory electrical source.

I am sure it can be done. However, when the dealer said they were not comfortable nor would they warranty their electrical work. I decided to back off. Please let me know how you make out...

I recently had a chance to sit in a heated seat at the dealership... It was nowhere near as hot as the heated seats in my benz, bmw or escalade. It was warm at best.

Good Luck CM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts