Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I pride myself on being a DIYer… I’m careful to take my time to make sure the fine details are taken care of, but man was this a tough job. For background, I bought this car from CARVANA, and got about $50K worth of work done to it under warranty, but there are still issues here and there to tend to. This is one of my dream cars, so I don’t mind giving it the TLC it needs.

Cue the sub-par Before pics
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door Cloud Gas

Cloud Hood Window Gesture Automotive exterior

Hard to tell in the pics above, but the headliner is sagging badly, pillars look fine… but all have been sun bleached a bit.

It took about an hour just to figure out how to get everything a part… headliner came out the door easily with a bit of bending.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Plant Automotive design

VERY Very surprised at the lack of sound deadening and insulation, no wonder the glue relieves itself the way it does!

Once you take the headliner and pillars out, it’s like they instantly relieve themselves of fabric!

Getting the foam and glue off was easier than I thought.

Headliner after:
Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Wood Bag

Taking your time is key… I went center- out in both directions to try to minimize wrinkles while using my hands and light pressure from a paint roller.

Was a bit frustrated with the lack of sound deadening and insulation in the roof. So much for fine “Italian quality”.
Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire Vehicle door Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here’s the roof after adding some sound deadening:
Water Rectangle Tints and shades Glass Pattern

Amazon literally sells everything!

Wrapping the C-pillar was tough, very deep curve, make sure your fabric is very stretchy or else you’ll have to cut and sew:
Sleeve Textile Grey Bag Font

B-pillars were fairly easy just as the A-pillars, when in doubt, you can use the old fabric as a guide on size and placement.
Sleeve Bumper Automotive exterior Electric blue Communication Device

In addition to the sound deadening in the roof, I added another thermal barrier layer. This should help immensely with keep heat and ambient sound out.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Last step is re-assembly… since it was just me, I came up with the bright idea to use the seats to help me keep the headliner situated while I got the wires all pulled through

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cloud Motor vehicle

I noticed that there are some Velcro points on the back side of the headliner that really help get it positioned while you mechanically fix it to the roof.

And… after about 8 hours and pack of bottled waters, it’s all done and re-assembled:
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Purple Gesture Finger Cloud Sky

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have pictures of everything because it is a pain to pick up my phone every time while in the process, but I added sound deadening to the metal behind all of the panels I took off with the exception of the rear deck. All-in-all, if I could do it again, I’d pay someone 😂. But, atleast I have piece of mind knowing that I addressed the lack of sound deadening and thermal protection behind all the panels, I think this would be outside the scope of a typical headliner replacement.

·
Registered
201 Posts
immaengineer Great job! my 2015 GTS has 30k miles on it and I have the SAME exact sagging in the SAME panels as you (mainly just the headliner and those two D piller pieces . Pretty terrible to me that as expensive as this car was new the headliner glue would fail that quickly. I was planning on at-least taking out all the parts myself and then having a upholstery shop rewrap the materials in a dark blue to match my dash later this summer/fall once my other project car is finally complete. I figure it would be a good time to do this job while installing the aucar headunit since I think you have to remove the rear seats and etc anyway in order to route the reverse camera .

How long did it take for you to just disassemble it? and what would you say the hardest part of the disassembly/reassembly was ?( taking out the actual upholstery part as I think that in general is a skilled craftmans type of work so will always be the most finicky part for a hobbyist.

7,618 Posts
I love it and the effort...I question the sound blocking stuff....I have not had good results with that stuff on my boat at all...I'm pretty sure it will not keep sticking to a hot Florida roof IMO..It is heavy and just doesn't stick...Jason

• Haha
Reactions: Dirty Dog

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
immaengineer Great job! my 2015 GTS has 30k miles on it and I have the SAME exact sagging in the SAME panels as you (mainly just the headliner and those two D piller pieces . Pretty terrible to me that as expensive as this car was new the headliner glue would fail that quickly. I was planning on at-least taking out all the parts myself and then having a upholstery shop rewrap the materials in a dark blue to match my dash later this summer/fall once my other project car is finally complete. I figure it would be a good time to do this job while installing the aucar headunit since I think you have to remove the rear seats and etc anyway in order to route the reverse camera .

How long did it take for you to just disassemble it? and what would you say the hardest part of the disassembly/reassembly was ?( taking out the actual upholstery part as I think that in general is a skilled craftmans type of work so will always be the most finicky part for a hobbyist.
Thanks! Honestly, it wouldn’t have been as difficult if I had disassembly instructions, it is just difficult to determine instances where there are bolts vs. pop out type fixtures.

The rear seats and rear deck are very easy, but it’s popping out the pillars that’s tough (only because I was scared to break anything).

Once you remove the foam and glue from the components, wrapping the fabric without wrinkles was the most difficult part. You have to use just enough glue to stick, but not too much to seep through the fabric, it’s trial and error.

Pay special attention when re-assembling the B-pillar due to the seat belts.

Disassembly took about an hour, but it felt much longer. The rear seats and deck take 5 mins, the other time was the headliner and pillars.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love it and the effort...I question the sound blocking stuff....I have not had good results with that stuff on my boat at all...I'm pretty sure it will not keep sticking to a hot Florida roof IMO..It is heavy and just doesn't stick...Jason
Thank you Sensei! I hear you, I had to try something though… the funny thing is that I didn’t anticipate using the thermal barrier for the roof, it was available for another project I was working on, but once I saw how little material there was in the roof, I added as much as I could. It actually works though, phone calls are much quieter and the interior cools quicker.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Also, do you remember how much material you ordered for the headliner plus all pillars?
I don’t have pictures of everything because it is a pain to pick up my phone every time while in the process, but I added sound deadening to the metal behind all of the panels I took off with the exception of the rear deck. All-in-all, if I could do it again, I’d pay someone 😂. But, atleast I have piece of mind knowing that I addressed the lack of sound deadening and thermal protection behind all the panels, I think this would be outside the scope of a typical headliner replacement.
The shops I've talked to have either told me the windshield has to come out (no thanks) or they just don't want to do the Maserati. So it'll have to be DIY for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice writeup. Have you done upholestry work or headliners before? I have to do mine (held up right now by beige thumb tacks) and I feel like 8 hours would be quite optimistic for me.
Nope, first time for me. In retrospect, I could have broken it up into a couple days worth of work, but it was a cool cloudy FL day, which is rare this time a year so I kept pushing. I think the best thing for any other DIYer to do is remove the panels themselves, remove the foam and adhesive, and have an upholstery shop wrap the parts. That should cut the time and cost down significantly.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, do you remember how much material you ordered for the headliner plus all pillars?

The shops I've talked to have either told me the windshield has to come out (no thanks) or they just don't want to do the Maserati. So it'll have to be DIY for me.
Same here, I went to 3 different local places and they didn’t want to touch it. I bought a lot of material from one of the local shops that wouldn’t do the job for me though, 10 sq yds for $100. They gave me a discount for not being willing to do the job, they were cool able denying me, it was understandable.

The windshield definitely doesn’t have to come out. It is very easy to get it out of the passenger doorway.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Same here, I went to 3 different local places and they didn’t want to touch it. I bought a lot of material from one of the local shops that wouldn’t do the job for me though, 10 sq yds for $100. They gave me a discount for not being willing to do the job, they were cool able denying me, it was understandable.

The windshield definitely doesn’t have to come out. It is very easy to get it out of the passenger doorway.
Great thanks. Ill buy the material and start with the a and B pillars, see if I can get the hang of it. Only issue is the visors won't match, oh well I guess

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've done this job and replaced everything (headline, A, B, C pillars) with Alcantara. Big job and no, windshield does not need to come out but it's a puzzle getting the new one in for sure :cool:

·
Registered
201 Posts

yea I dont know if its covid related and businesses just dont have enough people to work or they are REALLY trying to get money back due to lower business in general so they are only taking jobs that will give them a huge margin.

I was trying to get my project car repainted , in feb 2020 before covid I went to 2 shops that were highly rated and all said it would be no problem to repaint the car, bring it over any time, just gave a generic estimate money wise. Then covid hit and all these places closed in my area for 8 months and in that time my engine broke so it took me until summer 2021 to get it all running and fixed. then I went to 6 or 7 different WELL reviewed paint shops and they all pretty much just refused the work outright... I finally just decided it was bad timing and I let the car stay in my garage for the last year. Now spring 2022 im back to replacing all the fluiids and going to shops again to see if things have changed.

7,618 Posts
yea I dont know if its covid related and businesses just dont have enough people to work or they are REALLY trying to get money back due to lower business in general so they are only taking jobs that will give them a huge margin.

I was trying to get my project car repainted , in feb 2020 before covid I went to 2 shops that were highly rated and all said it would be no problem to repaint the car, bring it over any time, just gave a generic estimate money wise. Then covid hit and all these places closed in my area for 8 months and in that time my engine broke so it took me until summer 2021 to get it all running and fixed. then I went to 6 or 7 different WELL reviewed paint shops and they all pretty much just refused the work outright... I finally just decided it was bad timing and I let the car stay in my garage for the last year. Now spring 2022 im back to replacing all the fluiids and going to shops again to see if things have changed.
An all over paint job isn't really a great paying deal...They are probably killing it just fixing crashes etc. and don't want to fool with at this point...I would approach them again in the fall and tell them they can keep it throughout the winter...That sweetens the deal as they will use it as fill over the holidays while they are waiting on parts etc...I know a lot of body guys and how that business works...J

Reactions: silvertonesx24

·
Registered
201 Posts
An all over paint job isn't really a great paying deal...They are probably killing it just fixing crashes etc. and don't want to fool with at this point...I would approach them again in the fall and tell them they can keep it throughout the winter...That sweetens the deal as they will use it as fill over the holidays while they are waiting on parts etc...I know a lot of body guys and how that business works...J
Yea Jason I figured that was half the reason and the other half being they get super annoyed having to sand and fix 20+ year old parts that are all rusted on and they know the owner of that job of job may scrutinze more then the person who hit a deer and has a rental for a week or two and just wants their car back asap... So I even took it a step further and disassembled the entire body (aside from the doors)of all the old panels myself and bought all new oem bumper/front lip/ side skirts/ fenders/ headlights/ trim / bolts/nuts/ all the fasteners/ fender liners lol so that would also theoretically cut their time in half by having all new OEM parts to prep etc for paint! I have no problem messing with all the body or mechanical work when it comes to taking and putting stuff on , I just have no patience/resolve to do the fine craftsman type of work like the sanding or painting or in our original threads topic glueing and cutting headliner.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts