Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

My left side low beam is burnt, and after checking past threads about it I believe it's not a simple task... so I decided that while I am in there I should upgrade those crappy bulbs (non-xenon). By the way, why would someone order a GS without xenon headlights???

In the past threads about bulbs people talk about Sylvania and PIAA blue bulbs, so my question is, aren't they going to show blue through the lenses?

Do the high and low beams use the same type of bulb (H1)?

Which one you guys think is the best?

So far that's what I found:

Blue:

PIAA 4000k Extreme

PIAA 8000k

White:

PIAA 4100k

OSRAM Night Braker

Sylvania Silverstar

Thank you all in advance!

Del.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are not xenon, but "normal" bulbs with xenon gas inside.. At least the sellers say you can swap them...

·
Registered
722 Posts
FWIW, Consumer Reports did a test and found that visibility was not improved with the whiter/bluer incandescent bulbs compared to the regular ones. They just looked better.

Still, I put them in my ML when I needed a replacement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I "think" you have to be careful in selecting wattage of replacement bulbs. If you go from 55w to 110w you will burn out the stock wiring and possibly damage the very expensive housing. I did some research on this for my alfa years ago. The high beams for the xenon equipped cars are an H1 as well and the stock bulb sucks. I'm putting in the PIAA bulbs that are 55w but supposedly shine like a 110w. my 2 cents

·
Registered
112 Posts
After a bit of research and deciding not to fit an aftermarket HID kit have bought the Philips vision plus which are 50%+ bulbs but still 55w. I actually wanted the Philips x-treme power but they do not do them as a H1.

Take a look at this review by Autoexpress, it may help you as they did not rate the PIAA bulbs http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212937/make_light_of_winter.html

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Illegal or Legal?

After a bit of research and deciding not to fit an aftermarket HID kit have bought the Philips vision plus which are 50%+ bulbs but still 55w. I actually wanted the Philips x-treme power but they do not do them as a H1.

Take a look at this review by Autoexpress, it may help you as they did not rate the PIAA bulbs http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212937/make_light_of_winter.html
Anyone know if the Philips Vision Plus bulbs are legal in the USA? I can only find them for sale in the UK. I guess no one would ever know...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the high and low beam use the same kind of bulb, H1?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone know if the Philips Vision Plus bulbs are legal in the USA? I can only find them for sale in the UK. I guess no one would ever know...
They are standard bulbs, but the technology ie high pressure gas, makes them brighter. These type of bulbs give the same pattern as standard bulbs and are being sold as an alternative to HID's that are now illegal in the UK.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Job done. Easily!

Ok, I needed the car for tonight, so I decided to go Kragen Auto Parts and see what they had. So I bought the Sylvania Silverstar, for $23 each.

I started on the driver's side, removed the wheel, the inner layer of the fender and replaced the bulb very easily.

Then I decided to do the passenger's side without removing the wheel and... piece-of-cake!

I don't know if my car (2005 GS) is different from others, but you definetly don't have to remove the wheel to replace the bulbs. At least not the low beams.

Also, there's a velcro in the fender's inner layer (housing?) right behind the headlight, so you don't even have to use any tool!

The whole job, both sides, can be done in less then 20 min.

Obs. You don't have to remove the wheels, but you do need to lift the car up, so the wheel will move down giving you more space to reach the area.

Thank you all for your input! I'll let you know after I drive it tonight if there's any improvement in terms of visibility, compared to the OEM bulb.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great Improvement!

What a difference the Silverstar bulbs make! I was always very disappointed with my GS' headlights (before it I had a car with xenon), but now I'm very happy!

I definetly recommend it to everybody with a non-xenon car, especially now that I know the replacement takes only a few minutes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Certainly true that you can change the dipped beam bulb without taking off the wheel but I found that I was quicker taking the wheel off as I had more room to work.

But it is an easy job to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts