Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hand washing my GS this weekend, and the oval headlight washer cover on one side was loose and going to fall off. I'm lucky I didn't lose it on the road (the car looks hideous with a 3 inch hole in its face). I held it and it came off in my hand. The outer cover is a small oval plastic part that integrates into the bumper when not in use. The headlight washers activate when (1) the lights are on and (2) you pull the washer fluid stalk, obviously. The cover piece is made of plastic and held onto the retractable washer assembly by a pair of arms or tabs that are slightly bendable and could fall off if not secured to the washer assembly by snapping the holes onto the corresponding bumps. In the drawing, the outer cover is marked as (A) and the retractable washer assembly is marked as (B).

I drew a picture of how they assemble, and include photos of the washer in its extended and retracted positions in case this happens to anyone. For a few minutes I was afraid that reinstalling the cover piece would require removal of the headlight assembly as the mounting points "bumps" are too deep in the car to access unless the washer is active and extended. Here's the procedure for reattaching (took 2 minutes with a helper activating the sprayer)...

Get in position by the washer spray assembly with the plastic cover piece in hand. Have a friend (or your wife, I don't want to get personal:) ) turn the key, turn on the headlights and pull the windshield fluid stalk so that the sprayers are activated - and keep spraying until given the all clear! When the retractable assembly pops out to wash the lights, you slightly spread the arms of the outer cover apart and clip them back onto the assembly. Note that the retractable sprayer won't just stay extended and let you reattach the piece. No, it pumps itself in and out in a pulsating fashion (like once a second) the whole time so that it's constantly in motion and you have to follow its motion and clip on the cover piece while the sprayer is doing this pulsatory in/out motion. A bit like slipping a leash onto a small moving dog. Be careful not to pull the plastic arms/wings too hard, they feel like they could break.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
oh-five, nice post, but its easier that that. I pulled mine out with a long needle nose pliers then i grabbed it with my fingers, pulled it out more and snapped the cover on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know! I was tempted, but hesitated to grab and pull. With my skills and luck I'd snap or strip it for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Vise Grip

oh-five, nice post, but its easier that that. I pulled mine out with a long needle nose pliers then i grabbed it with my fingers, pulled it out more and snapped the cover on.
I used a pair of small needle-nosed Vise-Grips to hold the sprayer in place, extended, while I put the cover back in place. It made holding everything so much easier.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I was hand washing my GS this weekend, and the oval headlight washer cover on one side was loose and going to fall off. I'm lucky I didn't lose it on the road (the car looks hideous with a 3 inch hole in its face). I held it and it came off in my hand. The outer cover is a small oval plastic part that integrates into the bumper when not in use. The headlight washers activate when (1) the lights are on and (2) you pull the washer fluid stalk, obviously. The cover piece is made of plastic and held onto the retractable washer assembly by a pair of arms or tabs that are slightly bendable and could fall off if not secured to the washer assembly by snapping the holes onto the corresponding bumps. In the drawing, the outer cover is marked as (A) and the retractable washer assembly is marked as (B).

I drew a picture of how they assemble, and include photos of the washer in its extended and retracted positions in case this happens to anyone. For a few minutes I was afraid that reinstalling the cover piece would require removal of the headlight assembly as the mounting points "bumps" are too deep in the car to access unless the washer is active and extended. Here's the procedure for reattaching (took 2 minutes with a helper activating the sprayer)...

Get in position by the washer spray assembly with the plastic cover piece in hand. Have a friend (or your wife, I don't want to get personal:) ) turn the key, turn on the headlights and pull the windshield fluid stalk so that the sprayers are activated - and keep spraying until given the all clear! When the retractable assembly pops out to wash the lights, you slightly spread the arms of the outer cover apart and clip them back onto the assembly. Note that the retractable sprayer won't just stay extended and let you reattach the piece. No, it pumps itself in and out in a pulsating fashion (like once a second) the whole time so that it's constantly in motion and you have to follow its motion and clip on the cover piece while the sprayer is doing this pulsatory in/out motion. A bit like slipping a leash onto a small moving dog. Be careful not to pull the plastic arms/wings too hard, they feel like they could break.
I love your drawing, it is sort of DIY cover change for dummies. :laugh: Great job.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You can get the part from any dealer.
I've lost it twice now that I now have used a fishing line and tie a short piece from mechanism to cap. So now it dangles after some hard driving through twisties and rougher roads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The covers on my 05 Cambiocorsa were flying off like popcorn in the wind, I think my grand total of lost covers was about seven. Guess what? they were all covered by the warranty. After the dealer got tired of seeing me for warranty service on these headlight washer covers, I was asked if it would be ok for them to zip-tie them down, I was fine with that solution and I have not lost any covers since then. I am in Southern California and really have no need for headlight washers therefore that solution worked out perfectly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you have someone sit in the drivers seat turn the lights on and activate the washers you can grab the sprayer with your hand and install the new one.I have also found that installing a small tie strap around the locking tabs can also help to keep them on.This is much easier if you have a second set of hands.One to hold the sprayer and one to install the strap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love the drawing!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have similar problem here except I completely lost my part. Does anyone know any website or place that sell one of these?
you can order from ricambi america for $30.. but will have to get it painted to match from a local body shop or do it yourself like I did.

part #s

21 66371800 1 L.H. PLUG
21 66371700 1 R.H. PLUG

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. Finally happened -- again, and this time the part is lost. How ugly. I'll order a set of right and lefts to keep on hand. Not happy if I have to figure out how to paint them the right color. Would be great if they came in my Nero Carbonio (black). I'll see what Steve O. says. Good to have the part numbers, thank you.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Well. Finally happened -- again, and this time the part is lost. How ugly. I'll order a set of right and lefts to keep on hand. Not happy if I have to figure out how to paint them the right color. Would be great if they came in my Nero Carbonio (black). I'll see what Steve O. says. Good to have the part numbers, thank you.
Which side did you lose brother? I have two extra driver's sides.......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Craig. Mighty kind of you, thanks! It happens to be the passenger side (US passenger side). Steve from AMNE put in an order in for one of each side already. I figured have them on hand in case this happens again and parts get scarce. I will try tying them down like people say. Also - this part seems like a candidate for 3D printers. Soon we will all have one and be able to scan or replicate or download and print simple plastic pieces.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just lost mine on a trip through Miami. Long gone now. To understand this accurately, the headlight washer covers do NOT come painted, color matched to vehicle? even from the dealer?
I was hoping I could determine the paint code and the dealer would send the correct color matched part?
Thanks in advance for the clarification!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts