Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight washer cap has fallen off my Spyder. I have just received the new part and the dealer said I can clip it on myself but there is not enough space for me to put it on while it is retracted. There is also not enough time for me to put it on while someone holds the stalk back for me to clip it on.

I have seen another thread here saying that you can pull the stalk and then turn the ignition on but I have tried this and it does not work - the thing retracts anyway...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had mine fall off several times. Take a needle nose pliars, reach in and pull out the assembly, while you have it out slip the cover back on, then let the assembly go back in.

Eric

·
Registered
284 Posts
The car should be off. You will feel some resistance, like the assembly is on a spring. Just pull with slow steady pressure, and the whole assembly will pull out. I have done it at least 6 times and have never had a problem. Mine keeps getting caught on towels when I dry the car.

Eric

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for coming back - I will give it a go.

One more thing, how does the assembly then retract again if the car is off? Do I just push it back in manually?

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
The assembly feels tension loaded. You will have to hold it while it is out, not just pull it out. Once you release the pliars, it will go back in.

Eric

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Guys-

Exact same problem on my 05 Coupe - Eric, your info is very helpful. Spyder, I got the cap from the dealer, but have to get it painted to match the car (Netuno Blue) -did yours come painted from the dealer?

Also, there seems to be some stiff foam material partly blocking the hole. I am thinking maybe this is what caused the cap to pop off. I am planning on cutting the excess away with an xacto knife. Do you see any problems with doing that?

Thnx, Shaun

·
Registered
224 Posts
Haven't had this problem yet, but it seems almost inevitable - has anyone figured out a way to make sure the caps don't come off, or barring that, a way to attach some sort of retainer so that if they do pop off, at least they don't get lost?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've never had mine just spontaneously pop off. It is always when I get something caught underneath it and then pull on it, so I always see it pop off. I don't know of any way to put it on more securely, or put any kind of tie on it, but it really is easy to put back on, once you do it once or twice.

Eric

·
Registered
274 Posts
had this happen twice now , ive got 6 spares all painted just incase it happens again , i have found that both times it happened i was doing in excess of 90 mph in dastardly weather and noticed when i got home they were gone , hence the weather i cleaned the screen several times , since then i warmed the spring shape that clips them on with a hair dryer and bent them over slightly , has.nt happened since for some 6 months , and with english weather that isnt bad going but worth carrying spares they are only £7 each and cost me £25 to get them all sprayed i bought 8 initially

Regards lozcb

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sure beats a poke in the eye

I had mine fall off several times. Take a needle nose pliars, reach in and pull out the assembly, while you have it out slip the cover back on, then let the assembly go back in.

Eric
Ahhh, so that's how you do it.... I had this happen a few weeks back. I managed to catch the assembly and snap the cap back on as my girlfriend activated the headlight washers. Of course, it took about 10 tries and I got sprayed in the face with washer fluid on at least 4 of them.... I think I like Eric's method better! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Haven't had this problem yet, but it seems almost inevitable - has anyone figured out a way to make sure the caps don't come off, or barring that, a way to attach some sort of retainer so that if they do pop off, at least they don't get lost?
Seach the "headlight washer cap" threads - I saw something a while back about supergluing in them in place....btw, I got a quote of $75 to do a paint match and paint the part -- basically the minimum charge, I'll get some extra touch up paint out of it ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Seach the "headlight washer cap" threads - I saw something a while back about supergluing in them in place....btw, I got a quote of $75 to do a paint match and paint the part -- basically the minimum charge, I'll get some extra touch up paint out of it ;)

I would not suggest going the superglue route. It the cap ever cracks, you will have to replace the whole assembly as the remaining bits will now be superglued to it.

Eric

·
Registered
722 Posts
...btw, I got a quote of $75 to do a paint match and paint the part -- basically the minimum charge, I'll get some extra touch up paint out of it ;)
Have a dozen sprayed and let Ali sell them?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts