Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
So my headlight covers aren’t so good. I’ve tried sanding and polishing methods, but I can’t get all the crazing and cloudiness out, and I don’t want to buy new headlights when mine work just fine.

Has anyone tried these eBay covers? Kinda pricey when you can get a whole headlight assembly for just a bit more.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would probably take your car to a professional detailer first before buying anything else just for a second opinion on if they can be fixed/cleaned with more polishing. Because for that price you can get your entire car professionally polished. I have taken apart a different headlight I had in the past and its always a mess with the glue and process to remove them usually involve putting them in the oven for 10-15 mins. and that was just with old early 90s headlights with no sensors or etc in them. The maserati headlights have sensors and etc for the self leveling features so dont know how much it would cost to replace all that if someone were to go wrong on a DIY project like this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would probably take your car to a professional detailer first before buying anything else just for a second opinion on if they can be fixed/cleaned with more polishing. Because for that price you can get your entire car professionally polished. I have taken apart a different headlight I had in the past and its always a mess with the glue and process to remove them usually involve putting them in the oven for 10-15 mins. and that was just with old early 90s headlights with no sensors or etc in them. The maserati headlights have sensors and etc for the self leveling features so dont know how much it would cost to replace all that if someone were to go wrong on a DIY project like this.
Point taken!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I had a professional sand, buff, polish and clear coat for $100 (including tip), and they look way better… not brand new, but much better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So I had a professional sand, buff, polish and clear coat for $100 (including tip), and they look way better… not brand new, but much better.
thats good to hear!

I have a toyota supra turbo and the original headlights had a chrome inside housing and the bulbs were halogen so the outer lens had a bunch of diffuser lines in them so a common DIY project in the community was to take them apart get the inside housing painted black and then "deline" the headlight lens since the brand new headlights were 1000$ and have remained that same price since the early 2000s lol so everyone would do the DIY option of taking them apart in the oven and doing that weekend project so I know the annoyance of taking them apart and then trying to get it all together making sure to not damage anything and have them sealed with the black rubberized sealent without leaking/letting moisture in.

Im currently in the process of getting that car repainted and I wanted new clean looking headlight covers again also and this time I just bought the 1000$ dollar headlights lol , which the newer versions were already black from the factory and semi delined.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dont price out Ferrari 360 headlights. Ask me how I know! Lol

So I iust installed some Laminix PPF on my GT’s headlights last week in hopes of preventing this years down the road. Its the road grime and driving that causes it IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts