Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the very expensive HID headlights on my 2006 Gransport, I thought it would make sense to apply the X-pel transparent protective film to the headlight covers. Custom pre-cut film is available from AutoSport and some other vendors on line.Anyone have experience with this, good or bad, before I give them a try?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had the headlights "covered" along with the hood and front bumper by a commercial shop, can't speak for the do-it-yourself supplies. So far, so good, you can't tell they are there w/o close inspection.

But I am very glad to have the protection, judging by the new nicks in the plastic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I recieved some impressively thick film made by 3M for christmas 2006. I had the window tint guys put it on for me. The lower signal cover pieces were a little small for the lenses, but the main deal seems to fit perfectly. Over a year and no problems with clouding and I live in the desert with huge heat issues.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have the QP X-Pel pre-cut kit Hood, Fender, Headlamps, Mirror, Rear Wheel Impact Area, and Bumper Kit. The kit was installed by a professional. I wouldn't do it myself; however, there are a number of online videos showing you how to do it. The overall quality of the kit is good. Additionally, the plastic isn't being cut on the vehicle, which is a big issue for many. I definitely recommend the rear wheel impact area, which seems to get pummeled by rocks on my car. Even with the plastic on I have tiny chips on the body where the plastic ends.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
vincent - I'm in VA as well (Fairfax). Where did you get your product installed? And are you happy with their work?

·
Registered
78 Posts
True Value of the film?

I saw the film on a Ferrari and it looked great. However, I was told that the cost to install was close to $1,000. Does the film repel materials that would ordinarily cause chips to the the car finish? If not . . . the film gets "chipped" just like the car would . . . what's the difference between the car finish a the film getting nicked. i.e., they both are unsightly and cost $ to get repaired.

I guess, What I'm asking is what is the true benefit of the product?

On that note, does anyone have data/history on average costs to paint an entire CC or clean one up i.e., road rash on hood, front bumper, mirrors, wheel wells.

·
Registered
250 Posts
vincent - I'm in VA as well (Fairfax). Where did you get your product installed? And are you happy with their work?
The QP X-Pel was professionally installed by the PO prior to my purchase. However, a friend who is very particular uses PFT Films, which is a X-Pel and 3-M factory trained mobile unit out of Herndon. Here's his contact info 703-944-7076 - [email protected].

What's the difference between the car finish a the film getting nicked. i.e., they both are unsightly and cost $ to get repaired. I guess, What I'm asking is what is the true benefit of the product?
Like Ferrraris, almost all Aston Martins in the states have the plastic. I'm not familar with the Maserati paint process; however, I suspect it's similar to Aston Martin, which takes over 50 hours. Replacing a $1000 piece of plastic is significantly less expensive than getting a correct paint job. I know a number of UK Aston Martin owners who have the entire plastic body wrap, which I don't think is readily available in the states.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts