Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey brothers and sisters,
I’m attempting to replace the power window switch on my ‘09 GTS. I got the door panel off with no problem, took off the screws and bolts on the back of the door card, but the armrest, door handle, and window switch just won’t come off. At this point I’m not sure what else I need to do to get to the window switch assembly, so I put the panel back on (clips only for now). Does anyone have detailed instructions for this process, steps I may have missed, or has done it themselves?

Any hints, comments, thoughts or help are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Erik

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
remove 5 small allen screws from underside of armrest and pull out from clips after removing the 5 allens should give yo access to the switches

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Aquaranti,

If you can get the pics to upload, that would be great. I'll be away this weekend, but I'll give it a go again next weekend.
Erik

·
Registered
742 Posts
Be very careful with the leather covering?

My Indy who I have been with for more than 20 years told me it was a nightmare to remove the window assembly. I don't recall his exact words so I am paraphrasing. I replaced the alternator and the buttons. I THINK he had to gently heat and separate some very thin materials on the door to get at and replace all the parts.

Told me he would never do it again, this from a guy who rips out dashboards and consoles daily.

Proceed with caution. Take your time.

Good Luck! C

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm attempting the same project and appear to be stuck just prior to panel removal. Following these instructions http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/...emoval-how.html#/forumsite/20962/topics/39146. I've pried around the bottom of the panel and pulled upward to no avail. I am hesitant to pry towards the top of the panel as I doubt there are plastic clips up there; am I correct in this assumption? Here's the gap I've got...thanks in advance! Also does the black piece running along the top remain?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be taking some light heat and a lot of easy, slow prying to the actual armrest, as it appears to have nearly fused itself to the door panel leather (same held true for the long door trim strip).
@Infinite358, if you are sure you have all of the hex bolts out and all the clips are free, the door definitely needs to be lifted upward.

I worked with a gentle "rocking" motion upward, front and back, until the panel loosened itself from those top clips. The bottom panel should be about 2-3" away from the inner door skin while you're doing this.

Try it; you'll probably notice the front part of the door will start to lift before the rear does. Once it starts to break free with gentle, firm upward pressure back-and-forth, it will get easier. Careful not to push too hard or "punch" it with forceful upward blows... these doors are relatively delicate.

Good luck!
Erik

·
Registered
584 Posts
The wood trim piece needs to be CAREFULLY removed (pry it out gently), then you will have access to the screws that retain the arm rest, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, Erik! Same Erik with a K here as well. I'm quite certain all hex screws are out and plastic clips are free so I'll try your method of rocking it a bit while applying upwards pressure. Just as long as there is no need to remove the top most black strip to access something I think it should be clear to remove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, that black strip needs to stay. One last recommendation, coming also from someone who has been peeling door panels and cars apart for 25 years as an MECP-certified installer, is that you need to break that "bond" between the top channel of the door skin and the downward-facing slot in the door card (leather panel). Since you can pull the bottom of the door panel away from the door skin a couple of inches, try doing that back and forth (pulling away a few times from the bottom of the door) so that you sort of loosen that body-to-panel bond in the upper channel. Then try pushing up again from the bottom. It WILL come off eventually. Promise!

Good luck and PM me if you want a more personal walkthrough.
Thanks!

Erik

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update to all...
Thank you for all the advice, guides and pics. Turns out that if you’ve got a GT that’s more than a few years old, panels WILL stick together. Removing things like the wood/metal trim strip on top of the door panel and the armrest require the right tools, patience and a very gentle, steady touch.

Got the new window switch installed, along with a new power mirrors switch. Also did some de-stickying of the door pull trim while I was at it.

I’ve got a few pics attached but also can be found here...

https://instagram.com/p/ByebenshsHF/

Attachments

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Update to all...
Thank you for all the advice, guides and pics. Turns out that if you’ve got a GT that’s more than a few years old, panels WILL stick together. Removing things like the wood/metal trim strip on top of the door panel and the armrest require the right tools, patience and a very gentle, steady touch.

Got the new window switch installed, along with a new power mirrors switch. Also did some de-stickying of the door pull trim while I was at it.

I’ve got a few pics attached but also can be found here...

http://instagr.am/p/ByebenshsHF/
Did you have to perform the re-learning with the new switch???

thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts