Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the insulator is dumb. I have never put soda cans in a center console. There are so many other things I'd rather carry in there and the insulator is just dumb IMO. Phone, wallet, EDC, documents, whatever. I'd rather have more cargo space. So if anyone has done it, After pics and a short write up would be nice. I'm trying to figure out if this is a simple job or if I would have to cut and modify before I get started. Thanks. Pic is for reference from eBay.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
111 Posts
We need 20 people to have a discussion on this issue so it looks like it’s a problem in need of solution and the good folks from AliExpress will be on this like fat kid on Smarties with a ready made solution.

While I can’t speak to this issue the new Merc E-Class Wagon, at least, has an equally idiotic deep centre console useless for storing anything you may hope to find in under a month. Luckily there are a number of different tray inserts that make this compartment actually usable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I didn’t even realize it was a insulator. I keep all my junk in there
Yeah, that's why the "carpet" fits the 12 oz soda cans perfectly.
And... do you ever have issues with closing it when the dumbass insulator hits your stuff? That's what's pissing me off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That thing annoys me and I never knew what or why it was there! I don't have the bottom carpet piece so it never made sense to me.
Time to have a better look at it and remove it if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone done this? I'm ready to just Dremel the insulator out... storage space is what I'm looking for, not a compartment for cans of soda.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't even looked that deep into mine. I just throw stuff in there and if it doesn't close I move it around 'till it does. Now I'm gonna hafta empty it out and see what treasures I can find!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Has anyone done this? I'm ready to just Dremel the insulator out... storage space is what I'm looking for, not a compartment for cans of soda.
there's six screws right there that probably hold it in

you would not want to use a Dremel on this anyways, something with a longer blade if you're gonna cut it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's still on my To-Do list. Frankly, I'm looking at modifying it so it stores a handgun concealed but quickly accessible. Still would love to see any project pics anyone may have.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Going to zeus wheel/90 grinder mine off, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Will post pics of the finished project :cool:

Zues wheel.png
90 grinder.png

Reactions: atakacs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you concerned about a classy carjacker with great taste in automobiles ?! :p
I'm worried about the state of civility in the U.S. right now. The last thing I need is turn a corner and be swarmed by an angry group of protestors dressed in black at night, without permit to be in the road, claiming I tried to run them over, get dragged from my car and beat down as has happened a couple of months ago in Austin, TX and other places. Or the "Eat the rich" advocates destroying my car and beating me to death because I appear to be better off than they are as has also happened in many places this year. I've had firearms for 27 years and concealed carry permits for about 7 years and didn't feel the need to do the everyday concealed carry thing until this year. And I know I'm not alone. Everyone is on edge. Everyone is buying guns and ammo. Stores are sold out. We've had record high sales this year, and still have 3 months to go. Election is right around the corner and I think violence will peak about that time. Having a readily accessible but concealed firearm is kinda basic survival skill right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok. Figured out some stuff. It's mostly a legacy design from the Quattroporte. Apparently the Quattroporte has the option to actually have a refrigerated console as seen in these pictures from a 2004-2008 QP console with that option. Unfortunately, our design retains the insulation without the benefit of refrigeration. So I also looked at my center console and how it's built. The insulator is one-piece plastic which includes the hinge in the rear all the way up to the latch up front. The leather covering comes on another piece which is bonded to the insulator. If you remove the insulator piece, you lose both the hinge, the latch mounting point, and the bonding surface for the flimsy leather upper . I wouldn't recommend total removal unless you have a plan to replace it. However, if you plan to cut the insulation section off from the rest of the piece, you should be able to do so fairly easily. Your console cover will likely lose some rigidity in the process, and of course you'd want to make sure you have done your work cleanly. So for that part, temporary removal of the whole upper may be the best option while you do your work.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's the parts diagram from ScuderiaParts.com. Please see the prices and think /be sure before you cut. It may be best to get one from eBay or somewhere and do a trial run on that before you tear up your baby. The POS insulator we're talking about cutting is #2 But you can see 4 & 28 which attach to #2 are additional.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I'm worried about the state of civility in the U.S. right now. The last thing I need is turn a corner and be swarmed by an angry group of protestors dressed in black at night, without permit to be in the road, claiming I tried to run them over, get dragged from my car and beat down as has happened a couple of months ago in Austin, TX and other places. Or the "Eat the rich" advocates destroying my car and beating me to death because I appear to be better off than they are as has also happened in many places this year. I've had firearms for 27 years and concealed carry permits for about 7 years and didn't feel the need to do the everyday concealed carry thing until this year. And I know I'm not alone. Everyone is on edge. Everyone is buying guns and ammo. Stores are sold out. We've had record high sales this year, and still have 3 months to go. Election is right around the corner and I think violence will peak about that time. Having a readily accessible but concealed firearm is kinda basic survival skill right now.
I'm right there with you. I live in the Hill Country and although I'm only about 40 miles from Austin, I would never drive the Maserati in that city...and I'm ALWAYS armed! I rarely take it into San Antonio.

·
Registered
2012 GTC Nero/Sabbia
111 Posts
I'm right there with you. I live in the Hill Country and although I'm only about 40 miles from Austin, I would never drive the Maserati in that city...and I'm ALWAYS armed! I rarely take it into San Antonio.
Nothing sells guns more than fear. I can't even fathom what it's like to live in US right now, where you have to carry a guy to feel safe, that takes the pleasure out of driving a convertible, or at least it would for me. I feel for you people.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nothing sells guns more than fear. I can't even fathom what it's like to live in US right now, where you have to carry a guy to feel safe, that takes the pleasure out of driving a convertible, or at least it would for me. I feel for you people.
It’s fine. There’s a handful of nuts in Portland but otherwise it’s business as usual. Don’t listen our crappy media.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts