Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Spyder on Monday and Monday night, I was driving around and noticed at stoplights that my oil pressure gauge was unusually "active" It was bouncing around the left (low) end of the gauge and everytime it bounced further left, the oil pressure gauge light would come on. At times, it was completely left.

The car felt completely fine at all times, and when giving it gas, it went back to the right as it should've.

Eventually, this went away and at idle, would settle around 20 psi or so (like 1/4 if it were a gas gauge).

I called Wide World of Cars and they suggested I call Roadside. I told them the car was driving fine and the issue was intermittent and I needed transportation at that time. So, I didn't send the car to them and it has seemed fine ever since except for an episode here or there.

I've put 600 plus miles on the car since Monday afternoon and the problem seems largely gone.

But anyway, just curious if anyone has seen such a thing. It is a gauge to worry about for sure, but I'm wondering if it is the gauge more than anything else.

I also was going to check the oil but can't find the dipstick :)...I still need to look at the manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my 2003 coupe, my oil pressure gauge was nearly as active as my speedometer. Ok, not really, but it moved ALOT. My dealer told me about this "feature" when I picked up the car and told me not too worry. Even with all the bouncing, I never noticed an issues related to an oil pressure problem, so I stopped even looking at it. I am not sure if my 2004 does this as well, so I will check this weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
On my 2002 Spyder CC, the oil pressure indicator shows a steady 35 PSI at idle, moving up quickly to 75 PSI at any RPM above idle. No jumping around at all.

Marc, the manual will show that you check the oil by removing the cap on the oil pump. It's under the passenger side engine trim cover.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I also found mine the same. At Idle about 35 then at any other RPM Gauge is pinned. I questioned this and was told this is normal. Also when checking oil your car must be running

·
Registered
165 Posts
After owning Alfas, Ferraris, and now a Maserati, I have come to realize that Italian gauges are "special". You would think that this variability would go away with the global economy/suppliers, but....this issue remains uniquely Italian.
Repeat after me: "They All Do That"
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got it fixed a couple months ago. It turned out to be a bad ground wire. Perfect ever since.

v12gte said:
After owning Alfas, Ferraris, and now a Maserati, I have come to realize that Italian gauges are "special". You would think that this variability would go away with the global economy/suppliers, but....this issue remains uniquely Italian.
Repeat after me: "They All Do That"
:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maserati oil pressure gauge

Hello.
After having been obliged to remove the motor on my Spyder 1992, I experienced problems with the oil pressure indicator.
It was due to the fact that it is mecanically possible to inverse the two leads connected to the oil pressure 'capteur'!!!!
(the 'oil alarm contact' is not electrically polarized, but the one for the pressure is)
And unfortunately these leads are very difficult to access when the motor is in place!
Have a nice day

J.C. S.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have 2 and they both do the guage thing.

ebrigham said:
On my 2003 coupe, my oil pressure gauge was nearly as active as my speedometer. Ok, not really, but it moved ALOT. My dealer told me about this "feature" when I picked up the car and told me not too worry. Even with all the bouncing, I never noticed an issues related to an oil pressure problem, so I stopped even looking at it. I am not sure if my 2004 does this as well, so I will check this weekend.
Mine is the same way and it's an 04. I am looking for the official forum website to ask about a different thing I am noticing.

I found this website and decided to look in regards to the oil guage and a beeping sound I am hearing while driving. Glad to know the oil guage is suppose to do that- LOL.

I love my car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a 2004 Maserati spyder and noticed that my oil pressure guage was up at 70 PSI at any rpm over idle. Also the check engine light was on, and I think the red light in the oil pressure guage as well. Is this a guage or wiring issue, oil level or vicosity issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts