Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any has driven one yet? A lot of the YouTube videos out there show the car on the road in Europe so I assume somebody out there has driven one. I know the USA dealers have cars floating around, but with no test drives yet.

More than anything I'm curious about how improved the suspension is over the standard car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately no - expecting the first to arrive in my area around early October. I'm anxious to try it out but also scared that I'm going to have to pass on it.

I love almost everything about the car but after sitting in the regular Granturismo and being unable to get myself far enough away from the pedals.................the thought of having to pass on this car because Maserati haven't considered anyone above 6 foot makes me feel sick. The Maserati dealer has advised that they can't do anything about it in their workshop. The did say that each July there are updates made in various areas so hopefully adding an inch or two to the seat tracks is something they can look at. The dealer did admit that although the Granturismo is selling well , he has had 4-5 people pass on it due to the lack of legroom for the driver. We're not talking giants here either - I'm around 6'1"

Ofcourse 90% of the reviews mention that the Granturismo/Granturismo-S seats are hard and not very comfortable.

I also have my doubts about the comfort of the seat backs. Unlike 99% of sports seats I've seen that hug you at the sides but leave the area around your upper back alone , the Granturismo-S (as also mentioned in July Top Gear mag) has the padding running across the top at your shoulder blades. Taller people are likely to find this very uncomfortable.

The Top Gear reviewer also mentioned that once you hear the engine you'll forget about the seats :D However I can't bring myself to spend this sort of money on a crappy seat and driving position.

So yeah...........I'm anxiously awaiting a drive both because I can't wait and because I can't bear the thought of having to say "No" because of stuff you'd expect to see done right in a car worth 20% as much. :confused:

Ed

·
Registered
107 Posts
i haven't test driven one yet, but i sat in one. there is one in the manhatten showroom. the seats were a bit hard, but i would characterize them as supportive. as far as legroom, I'm 6' 2", and for me it's enough room - everybody prefers different distances from the pedals i guess.

as far as a test drive, my dealer is supposed to have a demo in august or sept at the latest. i am very eager to test drive it and see how much of a jump it is from the base granturismo, because i find the base model very slow, heavy, and an uninvolved driving experience thanks to the automatic transmission. i have an s on order, and whether i take it or not will come down to the test drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i haven't test driven one yet, but i sat in one. there is one in the manhatten showroom. the seats were a bit hard, but i would characterize them as supportive. as far as legroom, I'm 6' 2", and for me it's enough room - everybody prefers different distances from the pedals i guess.
Granted - in my case much of my height is in my legs . I like to be able to rest my foot on the accelerator comfortably without giving it any throttle. To do that in the Granturismo (being closer than ideal) I have to pull my toes towards me which tenses your whole leg.

It's something I've never had a problem with in Australian cars but which often happens in Japanese cars - Subarus etc.......... my Mercedes lets me go back way further than I need in a similarly structured car so not sure why any manufacturer would limit anything they didn't have to in this department. Perhaps it comes down to the average height of people in the country of origin in some cases but I wouldn't expect it in Italian exotics that are heavily targetting the US market.

Anyway - we'll see. I'll be trying my hardest to make it work. I'm trying to find someone locally that retrofits cars for handicapped people etc........that may be able to modify the rail/track system. I'd obviously prefer Maserati to handle it though for warranty reasons etc...

Ed

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Ed, my opinion for what is worth is that particularly if you plan to do a fair few miles with the car, you should be 100% comfortable in it, particularly for safety reasons. A tired leg could be a potential cause of a problem in case you need to quicky press hard on the brake pedal.

By all means, have the test drive and let us know how it goes but stay comfy and safe :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Legroom sounds like the same shortcoming as the QP for tall people (I'm 6'5" and couldn't get the QP seats far enough away, unlike the Coupe which is fine). Which makes sense, it is the same platform.

I spoke with one of the dealership owners who had driven the GranTurismo S in Europe and he said it is "fantastico". He thinks it is the best Maserati yet.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Legroom sounds like the same shortcoming as the QP for tall people (I'm 6'5" and couldn't get the QP seats far enough away, unlike the Coupe which is fine). Which makes sense, it is the same platform.

I spoke with one of the dealership owners who had driven the GranTurismo S in Europe and he said it is "fantastico". He thinks it is the best Maserati yet.
I am sure it is :)

And it's fast too! See here: http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4324 :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.