20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to adjust the handbrake on a 03 mas coupe
it rolls back on a hill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Handbrake

Took my 05 Spyder into the dealer to adjust the brake for the same reason. Was told by the dealer (Desert European Maserati Palm Desert Cali) it was not necessary. Fact is the brake only works when you set it with the car in gear (R or 1st). One of those things. So leave the car in gear, set the brake, then shut down the motor. Works fine this way. Definitely wouldn't park on any steep hills without turning the wheel into the curb.

·
Registered
86 Posts
does anyone know how to adjust the handbrake on a 03 mas coupe
it rolls back on a hill

Sooner or leter you will discover that Maser's Handbrake is more similar to a hand-job (total crap) if you know what i mean.
BTW, if you still insist, remove rear wheels and you will discover a small hole surrounded by bolts and screws on the caliper's drum.
inside the hole there is a gearwheel (part no 32 in the drawing).
use a straight (5-6 mm) screwdriver to roll this gearwheel upwards.
try roll the brake caliper if it does wind up a bit more until you cannot roll it anymore.
Reverse the gearwheel's winding until the caliper rolls free again.
place the wheel back and you're done.
Hope this helps
PaNoS

·
Registered
357 Posts
The procedure is pretty much like any other car. While not Maserati specific instruction, usually the handbrake is adjusted such that it clicks 3 times before being fully engaged when pulled up.

The above description covers it pretty well. Where Panos said "roll the caliper", I believe he meant to say "spin the rotor". The caliper does not move. That is, tighten the star adjuster until the rotor won't turn, then back off a bit.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The procedure is pretty much like any other car. While not Maserati specific instruction, usually the handbrake is adjusted such that it clicks 3 times before being fully engaged when pulled up.

The above description covers it pretty well. Where Panos said "roll the caliper", I believe he meant to say "spin the rotor". The caliper does not move. That is, tighten the star adjuster until the rotor won't turn, then back off a bit.
Excuse my English:rolleyes:
But you are totally right!!!
That's exactly what i mean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts