Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting pretty sick of the nickel and diming from MNA under warranty.

The latest is, I call the dealer to check the car in for a few minor things. I said "can you adjust the e-brake, it isn't holding the car on hills". I am sure they've already done it once previously (need to check my invoices).

Anyway, the (acting) service mgr says "just so you're aware, Maserati considers e-brake adjustment as a maintenance item, not covered under warranty."

So, good that he let me know ahead of time, and certainly one can make the argument it is like some regular maintenance item, but I mean, really, come on now. I've had my handbrake adjusted on my Saabs, my Subarus under warranty with no messing around - this is a $100k car!

If anything has ticked me off with this car, it is all of Maserati's little exceptions to their warranty, far in excess of any other luxury or even mid-level car. I guess part of the ownership experience.

Glenn

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm discovering that the maser warranty does not cover many problems

1- My dealer is billing me for labor even if the problem is warranty covered.
2- Paid $338 to fix an accessory belt to make trunk close properly.
3- Any simple visit to the dealer will cost $300-400, like changing a tire for air bubble or just simple oil change
4-I saw a different trend this year compaed to last year, now I have to pay for anything that the dealer does. I think that Maser established itself very well in the market in a way that dealers do not care about current customer anymore.
5- Of course, people at MNA never returned my phone calls, nice customer service!
6- What can we expect from an extended warranty after we have dealt with the exclusions in the original factory one?
7- after all, I realize that when I drive an exotic car that turns heads , I need to pay for that, I do not expect a 5 years Korean warranty on a hand made car, I just try to enjoy it, we spend a lot $$$ on high maintinance girlfriends so why not cars?
8- My lease will expire in 6 months, I have not decided if I'll buy the car at the end of the lease when the warranty expires, the bank estimates the value of 03 coupoe cambio with 27 k miles (I probably have only 15 k) to be $40K.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It was happen to me the same. The dealer adjust the handbrake and charge me the labor. The handbrake is still not able to hold the car on hill. I think I have to go back and ask them to do it agian without charging me again. I think this should be included in the warrantee but thanks to the MNA stupid policy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
mmmmmm68 said:
1- My dealer is billing me for labor even if the problem is warranty covered.
That is strange. I went to the dealer in DC area. The job that include in the warranty is free of charge. There is something fishy about your dealer, I think.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The hand brake on these cars isnt great. I've had mine adjusted a couple of times - neither time did the dealer charge me anything.

ps - If I park on a hill, I'll also leave the car in 1st gear just in case. I've also heard that as hot brake componants cool off, the minimal shrinkage can cause the brake to let go.

·
Registered
530 Posts
mmmmmm68, sounds to me like your dealer regards you as a walking wallet. I had the same experience with the first dealer I tried here in California. Fortunately there's another one within a reasonable distance and the difference has been night and day.

So far, the top and windshield have been repaired or replaced under warranty, and I've paid the tab for a new clutch @ 45,000 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had the same problem with my handbrake. I took it to Maserati of Beverly Hills and they adjusted free of charge. You need to be careful not to get ripped off with these guys. They tried to charge me for a bunch of things at first.

I got upset(lets just say the entire service center knows me very well now), and now it seems like everything is covered under warranty.:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
They adjusted my handbrake at the 6,000 mile service

And they did not charge me. They told me it seemed loose so they just tightened it.

So far the service at FMNJ has been great. I really think it depends on what shop you goto. If you dealer is really bad, just find a good exotic mechanic. CM

·
Registered
513 Posts
the only labor which was charged to me was...

having the tech remove 2 CDs in my Cd player. I had not realized the Nav disc was in, and put in an audio CD....I totally agree with this as it was my fault....everything else has been done and paid for 100% by the dealer (San Fran FM)

It does make sense that perhaps many dealers are accustomed to Ferrari owners who have in theory, much deeper pockets, and perhaps want every little thing 100% correct and pay for those costs no questions asked.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
..."can you adjust the e-brake, it isn't holding the car on hills". I am sure they've already done it once previously (need to check my invoices)...
just had it done a month ago and was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Does anybody know how to adjust the handbrake? Can it be done from inside the car or underneath. I think its a simple 10 min job by tightening a thread as with most cars. I will try and ask a tech next week. My handbrake was all loose but if I yank it to the left from drivers seat (i have a RHD car in Uk) then she engages and holds but best to leave in 1st gear as manual recommends if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
835 Posts
007 said:
Does anybody know how to adjust the handbrake? Can it be done from inside the car or underneath. I think its a simple 10 min job by tightening a thread as with most cars. I will try and ask a tech next week. My handbrake was all loose but if I yank it to the left from drivers seat (i have a RHD car in Uk) then she engages and holds but best to leave in 1st gear as manual recommends if I recall correctly.
cables are underneath the car.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Handbrake just sucks. Badly underdesigned I think. I had it adjusted at the dealer (no charge) and then did it myself twice. It just can't provide enough friction to get the job done, especially from keeping the car from rolling backwards. It almost rolled off of a rollback truck once and I learned my lesson. It is just like adjusting a throttle cable on a boat engine or a lawn mower.

·
Registered
390 Posts
They did mine not only under warranty, but without me even asking. It is plenty strong now and hasn't gone out of adjustment.

·
Registered
773 Posts
stories: it's OK to cry

can we really expect these stories, yes. sounds as if maserati recuited buy here pay here dealers, or dealers that could not make sales for other brands. will take a while to shack out cons, but is sure expensive on our pockets

·
Registered
390 Posts
The dealer problem is that here in the US it's Ferrari that has been drafted to run Maserati, so for most people the dealers are few and far between. Lack of choice means lack of competition, so dealers can give crappy service and get away with it. Here in the LA area there are 4 dealers within an hour or hour and a half of me. Maserati / Ferrari Beverly Hills has proven absolutely worthless, but The Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills has kept me happy. The car has no real problems anyways.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Squid - Same case in the uk; Ferrari and Maserati are sold together at the same Ferrari / Maserati dealerships - and there aren't many of them. I guess I'm lucky. My dealer goes above and beyond.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm starting to think it's just your dealer, nothing but great things to say about Maserati Central Florida.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts