Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 GranSport MCV. Absolutely freaking amazing. I drove it about 2 hours today down PCH and through the canyons. The weather was miserable for Southern California but I enjoyed every second of it. I can't wait to take it out again.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Maserati gran sport Maserati coupé
Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door Trunk
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Maserati coupé Rim
Auto part Metal Trunk Car

I'll follow up with more details later.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I tell my wife I have to go for an "Italian Tune-up"!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congrats!!!!!

It's great to see you got that MCV. Hope you got a great deal on it.

For me, the best part of a MCV is it's amazingly sharp steering response. Enjoy it in the canyon runs. But most of all, enjoy it in good health.

Cheers!!!
and more pictures please :D

·
Registered
2004 Honda Inspire :-)
307 Posts
Very nice:cool:drive safe and enjoy

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats!!!!!

It's great to see you got that MCV. Hope you got a great deal on it.

For me, the best part of a MCV is it's amazingly sharp steering response. Enjoy it in the canyon runs. But most of all, enjoy it in good health.

Cheers!!!
and more pictures please :D
Thanks.

It was the work of you and *MaSeRaTi* that saved me from making a mistake on the MCV down in San Diego. I'm very grateful for that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

First some details. I've been looking primarily for an MC Victory. I would have waited longer but this one was exactly what I was looking for so I couldn't pass it up. Not sure if there are any options on an MCV but it has the mercury colored wheels, red brake calipers, Auditorium, a CF package (CF door sills and spoiler) and a CF (rather than alacantra) steering wheel. The car has ~20K miles on the clock which was not ideal and would have been a non-starter but for the fact that it was an MCV in the exact color scheme that I was looking for.

Because of the issues that were discovered by some industrious members here on this forum (see http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5752) I was very wary about buying this car so I tried to do my homework. I had the car checked-out at both an FM dealer (FM OC) and an independent Ferrari shop (Ferrari Service in Costa Mesa). Both PPIs confirmed that the car had absolutely no frame damage, no body work, new brakes, a new clutch (<10% wear) and a nearly fresh set of tires. The front bumper had been painted but that's not too unusual. Also, the front Trident badge was missing from the grille. I bought a new badge and had it installed. I've read here on ML that these cars need to be driven so the fact that the car had some miles on it actually made me a little more comfortable with the purchase. Couple that with the fact that the car has a new clutch (great time to add the FD DBW) and brakes sealed the deal for me.

I've only had a chance to drive it once and it was raining so I didn't really push it. I drove about an hour in traffic on the freeway and about an hour down the coast and through the canyons. My first comment is that this car is very liveable. I really can see it being a daily driver although it will be just a weekend car for me. The car was comfortable and a pleasure to drive. The MCV seats are amazing and really hold you in place. I would pay more for an MCV just for these seats alone. As everyone has noted before, the exhaust sound is music. I'm sure it sounds even better outside of the car. I am interested in hearing the other exhausts to see if it can be improved upon (a bit louder perhaps?) so I'll have to track down Niteroi and listen to his Tubi. I love the way the engine revs so freely. It really comes alive at the higher rev band. I played around with different strategies in stop and go traffic (coast in neutral, let it down shift automatically, down shift manually, etc.). I couldn't tell which one of these was easier on the clutch.

When I got home, I took the wife and two kids for a ride. The four of us fit comfortably in the car (couldn't say that when we stuffed into a 911) which was a big plus.

I'll post more pictures when the weather gets better here in SoCal and after I get a chance to get the car detailed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
As for the deal with down-shifting in traffic, the instructors at the Master Maserati GT Course told me to NEVER downshift the car manually towards a stop. They said to let the car do it automatically because the ECU will assume that you are downshifting to gain revs and accelerate through a corner or to pass on the highway.

Also, I find that coasting in N towards a stop is dangerous because you can't "upshift" into 1st while moving. So you can get stuck in traffic and appear to have stalled the car if you prematurly shift into N.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Congrats Paunch! The car looks great, and those seats make all the difference, I envy you!!

Let's get together at some point. Actually, I have to drive down to Auto Gallery next Friday to get my PIS checked, are you going to be around?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats Paunch! The car looks great, and those seats make all the difference, I envy you!!

Let's get together at some point. Actually, I have to drive down to Auto Gallery next Friday to get my PIS checked, are you going to be around?
Bummer. I'm heading out of the country on a business trip on Friday. I would have loved to hear your exhaust. Definitely let me know the next time you're coming down to the AutoGallery. I live in Agoura and work in Westlake Village so I'm right on your way.

Cheers.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the deal with down-shifting in traffic, the instructors at the Master Maserati GT Course told me to NEVER downshift the car manually towards a stop. They said to let the car do it automatically because the ECU will assume that you are downshifting to gain revs and accelerate through a corner or to pass on the highway.

Also, I find that coasting in N towards a stop is dangerous because you can't "upshift" into 1st while moving. So you can get stuck in traffic and appear to have stalled the car if you prematurly shift into N.

Have fun!
Is it true that you can't shift into gear once shifting into neutral? I know that when you are stopped you have to have your foot on the brake but I could have sworn I shifted into neutral yesterday and, while coasting upshifted into the proper gear :confused: Perhaps I was mistaken.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it true that you can't shift into gear once shifting into neutral? I know that when you are stopped you have to have your foot on the brake but I could have sworn I shifted into neutral yesterday and, while coasting upshifted into the proper gear :confused: Perhaps I was mistaken.

Yes, you can shift into gear from neutral while car is still moving/coasting without putting your foot on the brake pedal. Car computer will simply decide based on vehicle speed to pick a proper gear to engage. But if you're stationary in neutral, then you would have to put your foot on brake first before car will allow you to engage any gear.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yes, you can shift into gear from neutral while car is still moving/coasting without putting your foot on the brake pedal.
If you're very slow, I guess below 10 mph, you still have to press the brake pedal to shift into gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
beautiful beautiful beautiful!!!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes.

First some details. I've been looking primarily for an MC Victory. I would have waited longer but this one was exactly what I was looking for so I couldn't pass it up. Not sure if there are any options on an MCV but it has the mercury colored wheels, red brake calipers, Auditorium, a CF package (CF door sills and spoiler) and a CF (rather than alacantra) steering wheel. The car has ~20K miles on the clock which was not ideal and would have been a non-starter but for the fact that it was an MCV in the exact color scheme that I was looking for.

Because of the issues that were discovered by some industrious members here on this forum (see http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5752) I was very wary about buying this car so I tried to do my homework. I had the car checked-out at both an FM dealer (FM OC) and an independent Ferrari shop (Ferrari Service in Costa Mesa). Both PPIs confirmed that the car had absolutely no frame damage, no body work, new brakes, a new clutch (<10% wear) and a nearly fresh set of tires. The front bumper had been painted but that's not too unusual. Also, the front Trident badge was missing from the grille. I bought a new badge and had it installed. I've read here on ML that these cars need to be driven so the fact that the car had some miles on it actually made me a little more comfortable with the purchase. Couple that with the fact that the car has a new clutch (great time to add the FD DBW) and brakes sealed the deal for me.

I've only had a chance to drive it once and it was raining so I didn't really push it. I drove about an hour in traffic on the freeway and about an hour down the coast and through the canyons. My first comment is that this car is very liveable. I really can see it being a daily driver although it will be just a weekend car for me. The car was comfortable and a pleasure to drive. The MCV seats are amazing and really hold you in place. I would pay more for an MCV just for these seats alone. As everyone has noted before, the exhaust sound is music. I'm sure it sounds even better outside of the car. I am interested in hearing the other exhausts to see if it can be improved upon (a bit louder perhaps?) so I'll have to track down Niteroi and listen to his Tubi. I love the way the engine revs so freely. It really comes alive at the higher rev band. I played around with different strategies in stop and go traffic (coast in neutral, let it down shift automatically, down shift manually, etc.). I couldn't tell which one of these was easier on the clutch.

When I got home, I took the wife and two kids for a ride. The four of us fit comfortably in the car (couldn't say that when we stuffed into a 911) which was a big plus.

I'll post more pictures when the weather gets better here in SoCal and after I get a chance to get the car detailed.
Very niiiiice...
Just a quick comment on the exhaust. I am not sure about your model in particular. I just noticed that on the 09 GT-S that I test drove, the exhaust was loud (which is what I like). But definitely tolerable as a daily driver. The one factor that I do not tolerate is "drone". That is the vibration that you can have with loud exhausts. I did not feel this at all with the Maserati that I test drove. On the other hand, I have a 911 turbo with a fabspeed exhaust (supposedly the quietest version) that drones. I really don't like this. It is irritating and does take a while to get use to.
So, if you plan on modifying your exhaust, this is one factor you should consider. It is even more irritating for a passenger (your wife?). They are just sitting there with not much else to sense and the drone does become even more irritating for them (so my wife tells me).

again very very nice car...
enjoy every moment in the car and don't hold back on putting on the miles!!!!
that's what it's for, driving!!!!
enjoy..
:)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yes, you can shift into gear from neutral while car is still moving/coasting without putting your foot on the brake pedal. Car computer will simply decide based on vehicle speed to pick a proper gear to engage. But if you're stationary in neutral, then you would have to put your foot on brake first before car will allow you to engage any gear.
How odd! My car simply refuses to do this, and I end up sitting like an idiot at a green light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts