Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the independent dealership/shop that I purchased the car from and they mentioned the oil they put in was 0W-40 full synethic. About $15/quart.

From what I've read, this car takes special 5W-40 synethic oil.

They also recommended just coming in once a year for service.

Any issues here?

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it was engineered for 5W-40, then I am sticking to that. These are selected for specific tolerances etc. Some cars have recommendations for alternate weight oils depending on temperature range etc. The owner's manual does not show others. I think the 5W-40 flows better at colder temperatures so it may depend on where you live. They probably used 0W-40 because it is easier to get. 5W-40 is not as common and I had to order mine on Amazon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
On my Jaguar, I put 0 weight because it eases pressure on timing chain tensions on a cold start (common failure point)

On my AMG, my tuner told me to put in 10W-60, something with piston rings.

I stick with 5W-40 on the GT, because no one told me otherwise.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a shop that works on Maserati/Porsche/Mercedes / other high end cars. It just seemed real odd when the technician mentioned the oil weight that it was recently replaced with. Not sure how concerned to be... Maybe I'll just bring it up next year when it goes in for service?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've spoken to Pennzoil engineers in the past. They said for Ferrari or Maserati, we can use either 5W40 or 0W40 Euro synthetic. True or not? You be the judge. I think it's all personal preference....I've used both with no issues but again I don't race the car....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ow would only have advantages if you drive vehicle in winter and routinely start outside below say 10 degrees F.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ow would only have advantages if you drive vehicle in winter and routinely start outside below say 10 degrees F.
I live in Arizona, barely gets down to the 30s on the worst day...

Sounds like it’s not a “problem” but I’ll definitely mention something on the next oil change to use 5w instead. I paid $800 upfront for 4 years of oil changes. Just seems odd to not see the exact factory spec oil in there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts