Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I came very close to getting the Gransport. I ended up getting the M5. I am now seriously considering getting/ordering the GT S and getting rid of the M5. A few concerns that I'm hoping to understand better:

1) Performance/Fun factor. The M5 is faster in a straight line than the GT or GT S. The idea of spending more for a "slower" car is not comforting. I love the way the GT S looks, but will it be as "fun" as the M5. I drove the GT, and while good, the power was disappointing.

2) Reliability. Even though I got the first model year of the M5, I really haven't had any trouble over the last almost 3 years. How is reliability and maintenance on the maserati?

3) Other: What options will the GT S have? I can't seem to find them. Will it have satellite radio? Bluetooth? Other gadgets? (the M5 has a lot of them, and I know, some people don't like them, but I do).

4) Color: I want black. How does the flat compare with the metallic?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The lowdown...

1) Performance/Fun factor. The M5 is faster in a straight line than the GT or GT S. The idea of spending more for a "slower" car is not comforting. I love the way the GT S looks, but will it be as "fun" as the M5. I drove the GT, and while good, the power was disappointing.

> There are cheap mods such as an ECU upgrade and DBW upgrade (GT-S) that will allow the Maserati to run with the M5 in a straight line. The GT has better brakes than the M5... There are many here who have done these simple mods and have made their coupe's and spyders M3 and M5 eaters at the track.. M5 is limited to 155, Maserati does 185... (Sammy Haggar)

>You could just get the new Ferrari F149, which will eat the M5 for lunch both in looks and performance.. Price is in the low 120's from what I have read and it's based on the same frame and basic body as the Maserati Coupe and Alfa 8C

2) Reliability. Even though I got the first model year of the M5, I really haven't had any trouble over the last almost 3 years. How is reliability and maintenance on the maserati?

> I have owned a 2002 Coupe for a while now and it's almost as reliable as my toyota 4 runner.. The only thing not reliable is the battery and you just need to switch it off if you are not going to use the car or buy a battery tender. The engine always starts..

3) Other: What options will the GT S have? I can't seem to find them. Will it have satellite radio? Bluetooth? Other gadgets? (the M5 has a lot of them, and I know, some people don't like them, but I do).

> The new GT has most of the gadgets, you need to go to Maserati.com and run the configurator to see what all is available. Most of us here don't even use the radio as we would prefer to hear the "Tubi" music from the engine, something a BMW just doesn't have... Not even the BMW Formula 1 cars sound good compared to the Ferrari V8 on any level..

http://granturismo.maserati.com/index.php

If it were me, I would go for the Nero Carbonio, metallic black, it is rich and deep and no other car on the planet looks as good nor is as comfortable as the GT. I saw one getting ready to be delivered to a lucky soul from Ferrari of Denver on Monday that was Rosso Mondial and I can tell you that I had to wipe the drool off my chin several times...

·
Registered
695 Posts
3) Other: What options will the GT S have? I can't seem to find them. Will it have satellite radio? Bluetooth? Other gadgets? (the M5 has a lot of them, and I know, some people don't like them, but I do). Thank you!
GranTurismo S Standard Equipment (electronic bells and whistles):

Nav
30 gig hard drive
Voice control
bluetooth
Glove box AUX-IN
Premium Bose Surround-Sound
Homelink in visor

BTW, if you do decide to order a GranTurismo S, let us know how goes - there has been some (unconfirmed) reports that GranTurismo S will only go to return customers. The QP GT-S does not have the same restrictions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
1)
> There are cheap mods such as an ECU upgrade and DBW upgrade (GT-S) that will allow the Maserati to run with the M5 in a straight line. The GT has better brakes than the M5... There are many here who have done these simple mods and have made their coupe's and spyders M3 and M5 eaters at the track.. M5 is limited to 155, Maserati does 185... (Sammy Haggar)
you mean joe walsh :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Joe Walsh... Duh!!!

Yes it was Joe Walsh!!!

Geez, I should have known that, he lived here in Nederland for years while making his barn stormer album and his daughter emma was killed by a drunk driver in Boulder... Stevie Nicks wrote a song about emma after hanging out with Joe in Boulder, "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You" My kids play in the park about once in a month at Emma's fountain...

Sammy Haggar was I can't drive 55..... Write me up for 125... Wrote the song on the way to see his son in Lake Placid, was driving from Albany...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I agree with GrndLkNtv in everything but the reliability. We had to learn how to drive our Maserati so they would be "reliable", but there are some restrictions, like not using the auto mode, not using reverse for too long and etc. You don't have to do that with a BMW. On top of that, there's nothing like BMW's warranty, 4 years with complete coverage, including oil changes, brake pads... windshield wipers!!!

Having said that, there is NO comparison between the GT/GTS and a M5. The GTs are a work of art, a car that you will be staring at when parked in your garage. And the sound... like it was already said, I've used my Gransport's radio only a couple of times in the last 6 months! I always keep the windows open to listen to the exhaust.

There is no comparison, it's a complete different experience.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's helpful, thanks. I agree it is a work of art, and much more pleasing to look at than the M5 - one of the reasons I am thinking of making a switch. As far as the sound, I put an Eisenmann exhaust on my M5 and it sounds incredible, so let's call that a wash. I just don't want to be disappointed in the "fun" category. When I step on the gas for quick acceleration, either from a start or when trying to pass someone, will it be at least somewhat comparable to my M5 or is it going to feel slow relatively. Your comments have been helpful, keep the insightful ones coming. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
A few years ago, I came very close to getting the Gransport. I ended up getting the M5. I am now seriously considering getting/ordering the GT S and getting rid of the M5. A few concerns that I'm hoping to understand better:

If faster in a straight line is your definition of fun, you should be looking at Detroit Iron.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts

Thank you!
I went through a similar thought process when I bought my Maserati Coupe. In fact, I had a fairly high spot reserved for the first batch of M5's. I ended up getting the Maserati, for some good reasons, and some emotional reasons.

First and foremost, the M5 has ZERO sex appeal, character, or style. It is a 5 series with a big engine and a few techno gadgets. The Maserati, well, it is a work of art, in my opinion, both inside and out.

The M5 made me feel far too insulated from the "experience". Just a bit too sterile to me.

The M5 had great (actually, incredible) power, but it was pretty much a one-hit wonder.

I see M5's fairly regularly, and I see, of course, a crapload of 5 series Bimmers (hard to tell them apart), and I rarely encounter another Maserati (other than an occasional QP).

In hindsight, the service issues have also been to my advantage (not necessarily $$$, but "time spent on the road versus in the shop"). I know two friends with M5's who have had substantial issues, one even ended up getting a lemon law replacement.

I suppose I have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight overall, but I'm delighted with my choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Before I got my GranTurismo last month, I was considering a M6... for maybe one second. Can't compare in terms of prestige, aesthetics, exclusivity. You see quite a few M5's and M6's on the road but it's not everyday when you see a Maserati GranTurismo. I say get the GT or GT-S and put mods in it if you want more bite on the throttle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will attempt to answer my own post. Yesterday, I took a Granturismo our for a long (20 mile) test drive. There is no doubt that the GT is a much better looking car, both inside and out, than the M5. However, it is much slower and less responsive at all ranges of the torque curve. I'm not suggesting this makes the M5 better, as speed is not everything. But my question in this thread really was around acceleration, and I think the difference is quite noticeable between the two cars. It was nice when I got back in the M5 - a small touch of the gas would pin you back in the seat. My ultimate question, which I can't really answer, is how will the S compare to the M5, as that is the car I have on order. I hope the new engine and transmission are a big step up and not an incremental one, so it provides a more exhilarating experience, something comparable to the M5, because I really want to get it, but can't justify it otherwise. Having said all that, there's no doubt the Granturismo is one of the best looking cars on the market today.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
My ultimate question, which I can't really answer, is how will the S compare to the M5, as that is the car I have on order.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record but the GT S is faster than the M6 on the track. Since the M6 is just a tad faster than the M5, I think you've got your answer right there:

GT S faster than M6

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've said it before but check out Evo magazine track results: Even the Quattroporte beat the M5 around Bedford Autodrome.

It's not all about drag racing. I moved from a Modern Aston to a 40 year old Maser and I couldn't be happier. The Beemer has truly HUGE performance but so what? I'll take looks, taste and style over straight-line grunt anyday. Sounds to me like you would never be able to live without that, admittedly, great performance though. You've got a tough choice.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Trice9:

I looked up some quick specs:

M5:
500 hp @ 7750 rpm
383 ftlbs @ 6100
Curb wt: 4012 lbs

Maser GT:
405 hp @ 7100
339 ftlbs @ 4750
curb wt: 4145 lbs

M3:
414 hp @ 8300
295 ftlbs @ 3900
curb wt: 3704 lbs

The reason I included the M3, is because most reviewers comment on how they expected a high-strung V8 in the same vein as the BMW V-10. But the low-end torque of the V-8 makes it a pleasure to drive around town and the rev-happy nature makes the M3 a blast at the track. Whereas the M5/M6 feels relatively gutless until the higher rpms are reached.

Which leads me the to GranTurismo. Torque-wise, the specs show that it falls in between. The GT is fairly close to the weight of the M5, so overall, both cars should "feel" about the same in acceleration until the M5 hits the upper reaches of the rpm band.

Of, course, no one should drive a spec sheet, but I do have a question. As the GT uses a ZF transmission - same unit as in the BMW 7 series - did you have the GT in "sport" mode? While I don't know the software spec on the Maserati, generally ZF's have two ECONOMY maps in normal "DRIVE" mode. And trust me, a ZF in its econo map upshifts early, downshifts late and the shifts times are like molasses flowing in winter. One has to be in "sport" mode to tap the sport maps - which usually is the difference between night and day i.e. more responsive, quicker shifts, etc.

The GranTurismo S, of course, has the six-speed automated sequential. And if the reviews are correct, that this car - in sport mode - sounds like an Alfa 8C, then the sound alone is too die for.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Of, course, no one should drive a spec sheet, but I do have a question. As the GT uses a ZF transmission - same unit as in the BMW 7 series - did you have the GT in "sport" mode? While I don't know the software spec on the Maserati, generally ZF's have two ECONOMY maps in normal "DRIVE" mode. And trust me, a ZF in its econo map upshifts early, downshifts late and the shifts times are like molasses flowing in winter. One has to be in "sport" mode to tap the sport maps - which usually is the difference between night and day i.e. more responsive, quicker shifts, etc.

In my experience with two test drives, there is a noticeable difference in gearbox performance between normal and sport mode.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts