Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger on a GranCabrio 2011. I am just wondering if anyone has driven both the GT-S and the GranCabrio? Is the drive much different between the two cars? My hesitation to buy the GranCabrio has been its performance and questionable lack of top performance for a car in this class. The look and performance of the GT-S could sway me...any thoughts? Hardtop, better performance (GT-S) vs fun in the sun with top down, lesser performance (GT-C). I live in a nice weather town and currently drive a convertible M6 (BMW). Any thoughts on both sides would be appreciated. I have driven the Cabrio but not the GT-S, but if they are similar, would probably opt for Cabrio.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on a GranCabrio 2011. I am just wondering if anyone has driven both the GT-S and the GranCabrio? Is the drive much different between the two cars? My hesitation to buy the GranCabrio has been its performance and questionable lack of top performance for a car in this class. The look and performance of the GT-S could sway me...any thoughts? Hardtop, better performance (GT-S) vs fun in the sun with top down, lesser performance (GT-C). I live in a nice weather town and currently drive a convertible M6 (BMW). Any thoughts on both sides would be appreciated. I have driven the Cabrio but not the GT-S, but if they are similar, would probably opt for Cabrio.
I have a GTC , to my understanding the performance is the same as they both have the same engine 4.7. The difference which I understand is that the GT is louder than the GTC. I love my car having traded in a 911 Cab, and have had other cabs including Mercedes and BMW. I think this is the classiest car in its class (either GT or GTC). Having said that, either you are a drop top guy or not, many people just dont care for the look or sound of a CAB, Living in south florida, i cannot imagine life without a Cab :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I agree with the drop top comment above. I went down and test drove a GT-S automatic which is the only car my Maserati dealership orders. This car had a bit more quickness off the line due to its lighter weight but did not significantly outperform the cabrio. I therefore am going with the Cabrio. This will be a daily driver for me so I want it to be comfortable. I would only be interested in the automatic transmission. Looks like the drop top is it for me. Now I just have to figure out the color scheme and order the bad boy. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You won't regret it! With that triple layer top up you feel like you're in a coupe as it's very quiet compared to other convertibles but once it goes down and all that beautiful leather is visible from outside, it's really an awesome sight. For fun, if you want louder exhaust noise just pinch off the vac lines and the valves will be open all the time instead of at 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just saw that online at maserati.com. I want one now!
Just wondering what kind of price increase we will see with the sport version.
Would love to do a black with carbon fiber in the interior with the MC sportsline package. That would look awesome!

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The good news is that there are many upgrades available for the new GranCabrio, so it's easy to add the performance. The new Sport version has a few nice visual cues as well though so it may be worth a look!

The GT-S is more of a performance car, it's built to be more of a real sports car and the GranCabrio is a bit softer (suspension, exhaust, etc). Again however, if you're looking for a bit more these areas are easily improved.

We're helping a GC owner now to fit all the Carbon Fiber parts available and I think it's going to turn out looking noticably more aggressive than the Sport model as these will be true CF pieces instead of being painted to match.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts