Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and find it interesting and helpful.
I took delivery of a GT-S in December. It is Grigio Nuvolari, with cuoio sella interior, black carpets, dash and leather steering wheel, piano black wood trim, beige alcatera headliner, grigio wheels and red calipers. I live in Central Illinois, so have not been able to drive it much due to the weather--about 1000 miles.
I'm concerned about wearing out the transmission prematurely. My first impression is that a regular manual transmission is easier to use. My other car is a 95 M3.
When coming to a red stoplight, with a regular manual, I would put the clutch in, and coast to a stop. If the light turned green before I stopped, I'd put the car in gear (clutch is already in), let the clutch out and continuing going. With the GTS, I can put the car in neutral and coast, but if the light turns green before I stop, I would have to brake to put the car in gear--not good if someone is behind me and does not expect that when the light turns green. Does anyone know if coasting in neutral, can one touch the auto button to put the car in gear, and then go back to "manual" after the car is in gear? Or does one still have to break first? My latest technique is to downshift to 3, and then let the computer downshift to 2 or 1. Then when in 2, if it seems that I will have to stop, I put the car in neutral and then stop. When I come to a stop sign, I use my "old" manual transmission approach of putting the car in neutral, and coasting to a stop. With a stop sign, I know that I have to stop, so I don't mind putting the car in neutral. My salesman told me to put the car in neutral whenever I'm stopped for more than a couple of seconds. I'm curious as to what others do.
Also, in day to day maneuvers involving parking and backing out of garages and driveways, does anyone know if there is less clutch wear if the car is in manual 1, or in auto? Again, the salesman told me to do it abruptly so the car is in gear, and not "riding" the clutch. However, that is always not practical. I'd rather "ride" the clutch than risk denting the car. Any suggestions here?
Finally, one question about the power mirror switch. I usually close the mirrors when parking. Too bad that doesn't happen automatically when the engine is turned off. The switch (knob) has sort of a funny feel to me, like I'm unscrewing it, and that eventually I will unscrew it off. That hasn't happened and the mirrors work. I've gone past the bottom close position, up to the left mirror position (going clockwise) or sometimes I'll go to the bottom close position, then counterclockwise back up to the right mirror position. Will I eventually break it, doing it this way?
Thanks for relating your experiences on my issues.

·
Registered
402 Posts
WOW, I could have wrote the same thread, verbatim!!!

I do EXACTLY as you do, and have the same quandaries as well! Im scared to try and pop into gear, while coasting, and am afraid of the same in regards to braking, then moving into gear as the light changes. I also have the same feelings in regards to reverse, and the mirror switch as well. Hopefully someone has some good insight for us...

I see you're in Illinois, maybe we can meet up some time :cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Dont have a GT-S here but I would assume MC shift works the same way as CC trans in a GranSport or the F1 trans for Ferraris. That is while coasting in neutral (as long as car is still moving above a set MPH which I don't recall) you can safely and simply get back in gear (trans ecu will decide proper gear to get into pending on vehicle and engine speed) by pulling on the up (right side) shift paddle. But if car is in neutral and nearly stopped but still crawling (again I don't remember the specific speed...<5MPH??) then you would have to apply brake before the system let you get back in gears.

As far as parking and backing up, you would have to sort of "ride" the clutch if the spot is tight. Unfortunately there is no way around it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congrats on your GranTourismo's!
I have a GS, but most likely the same functions re: gearbox.
Contact Formular Dynamics Jeff and ask him. He truly has an answer to all your qusstions, in the meantime I would simply mention that I always drive in sport and never in auto. Downshifting is either done by me or by the management system. Coasting forward in neutral I often do, but if you are rolling (I think over 10 mph) it does not matter at what speed, activating your "up" lever, will put the gear in matching your speed. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All, thanks for your help and suggestions. I didn't know that the transmission will re-engage from neutral, without braking, above a certain MPH. I'm sure that it will become more familiar to me when I drive the car more--last night's 4 inches of snow is almost already melted--but I think that I will continue with my current approach to stop lights by keeping the car in gear (either downshifting myself or letting the car do it) and not getting into neutral unless I know that I have to stop. I'll practice a bit on side streets to figure out how slow I can go in neutral and still be able to engage without braking.

Adam76-sure I'd be glad to meet sometime. I'd suggest outside the busy traffic and potholes in Chicagoland. In Central Illinois, aside from some potholes, which I don't think are as bad as in Chicago, my biggest problem is the tax collectors posing as the police.

I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one that thinks the side mirror control is a little bit odd feeling. As I said, I haven't caused the control to fall off yet, and if it does, I hope it is covered under warranty!

Just one final question concerning slow speed parking maneuvers, does anyone know if putting the transmission in auto mode, will cause less clutch damage than "riding" the clutch in manual mode?

Again, thanks for your responses, and I enjoy the forum.

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi John and other Maseratisti,

I`m Patrick from Switzerland. Currently I´m still driving a Spyder CC but in May I`ll collect my new GT S.

Regarding the practical use of the CC (or MC shift) system, I got the information from two different workshop men of long-term official Ferrari and Maserati dealers that the auto mode will stress the clutch most, normal mode will be better and the sport mode (-> faster opening and closing procedure of the clutch compared to normal mode) will be the best way to give the clutch a longer life - beneath the other nice features of the sport mode of course :)

A further info of my dealers was that it will be best to shift down (or to let do it by the electr. mgmt.) while arriving at traffic lights: It should make no difference whether standing at the traffic lights in engaged 1st gear or in neutral position because of the fact, that the electronic mgmt. will separate the clutch if the 1st gear is engaged as well --> Test: The car goes back in 1st gear at a hill if you push neither brake or accelerator pedal (in comparison to an auto transmission car). Then, after pushing the acc. pedal, the clutch will close and you can start immediately instead of pulling the right lever for changing from N to 1 before starting.

But, sometimes I have the little impression that the seq. clutch-gearbox-system is a very complex technology which might lead to different answers and opinions from sales and workshop men after having asked the same question...
Although, hoping that my answer will help you a little.
Kind regards and ENJOY your Maserati(s) :) :)

Patrick

P. S.: This forum is great!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patrick, thank you for the information. I have no problem at all keeping the car in sport mode! Enjoy your car when you get it!

What part of Switzerland are you from? Because of work, my family and I lived in Geneva from 2002 to August of 2007. We loved the experience and hope for another opportunity to live and work there again.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts