Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my GT-S this weekend the first time myself. As I was cleaning the wheels, I notice that one of my calipers had a chip, and someone put touch up paint on, and a bad job at that. The car has not been in anyone else's hands, since I got it from the dealer. It has 1200 miles. Would you complain about this, and request a new caliper, or am I just being extra picky?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I would definitely complain. Not a big deal, they just have to repaint the whole caliper.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a small dull spot on my rim and have left it alone. I figure that this is the one flaw on the car and it acts to ward away any other imperfections created by the factory or arranged by me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great call

I have a small dull spot on my rim and have left it alone. I figure that this is the one flaw on the car and it acts to ward away any other imperfections created by the factory or arranged by me.
Long ago people intentionally put a flaw into their work so the end product wouldn't be idolized. I enjoy driving my CC every day and have picked up a couple paint chips that I had touched up at FMOW. The nicks don't bother me - this is a cool car, not a stamp or coin collection that I've hidden away in a vault (I do have coins in a vault but not that many:)). If you're going for Concourse de Elegance, I'd have the dealer fix it - if not NBD.

·
Registered
181 Posts
same thing happened with my GT. chip was much larger than yours... likely happens while the car is transported from italy to wherever you are. i was told that they put chains through the wheel rim as a safety measure during transport (don't know if i can believe this though). if i was extremely anal, i would have asked them to completely replace the caliper. but i didn't want to hassle with it... plus, my caliper is always covered with brake dust anyways, so you can't even tell. i get my car washed daily. the calipers are cleaned, but the carwash dude doesn't shine each nook and cranny of the caliper everyday, so you really can't see the touch up pain anyways. i've decided to live with it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
adam76, don't settle for less than perfect, it's a brand new car. We're not talking about a Hyundai here, he paid lots of money for it and deserves it pefect.

I don't see why they can't repaint it, but they might decide to give you a new one.

If you took the time to write about it here is because it's bothering you, so get it right.

·
Registered
217 Posts
adam76, don't settle for less than perfect, it's a brand new car. We're not talking about a Hyundai here, he paid lots of money for it and deserves it pefect.

I don't see why they can't repaint it, but they might decide to give you a new one.

If you took the time to write about it here is because it's bothering you, so get it right.
Just curious if the brake calipers come painted from the factory or powder coated. Anyone know? Either way, I would make sure they take the entire caliper off even if they are painting (i.e. don't let them just take the wheel off and mask it). I had my calipers painted that way (i.e. masked) on my old Lotus and I was disappointed with the results.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would at least expect them to do a decent touch-up job on the caliper... I would definitely complain, but I'd limit my expectations. I think either option--repainting or a new caliper--would be fairly expensive and the dealership would be losing money. Of course, that's not to say that they shouldn't do it because they definitely should. I just wouldn't expect it, but then I suppose I'm a cynic.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it wasn't such a schlock job, I wouldn't complain, but jeez. They should make an effort to correct THAT. I forget what the calipers are made of, but if steel that's where it going to corrode IMO. Guys, anyone know what they are made out of and if that's a credible argument?

Aren't painted calipers an upcharge on the window sticker?

If it's from chains in shipping you probably aren't the first one it's happened to.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Talk about seperating pepper from fly s#*t.

The economy has tanked, hundreds of thousands of people are out of work, families are being ripped apart by economic crisis, and we are debating how best to fix a tiny imperfection that no one will ever notice?

Ask the dealer for a free oil change and move on.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Talk about seperating pepper from fly s#*t.

The economy has tanked, hundreds of thousands of people are out of work, families are being ripped apart by economic crisis, and we are debating how best to fix a tiny imperfection that no one will ever notice?

Ask the dealer for a free oil change and move on.
If that were the case, we shouldn't even be discussing Maseratis, and I shouldnt have bought a GT-S. Shut ML down, and wallow in the rest of the worlds sorrow, instead of trying to make the best of it. Lets turn the forum into a discussion on how we can save the world.

I think you completely missed the point, its not about getting something for free, like an oil change. I dropped 160k on this car out the door, I dont need the $75. I think expectations are a little higher when buying a car of this caliber. The calipers are an upgrade on the GT-S. What if the chip was on the body? It is noticeable from a distance, I plan to enter car shows and will be modifying this car further.

I'd like input from true car enthusiasts, and just because other idiots do not know how to ethically run their business, does not mean others should accept inferior quality in the things they are passionate about.

·
Registered
97 Posts
live on...

I have a few minor problems with my 997 turbo and also with my Maserati GT-S. The way I look at it, very few cars come off the production line perfect. It is your option to pursue rectifying these imperfections (small medium or large). However, from my standpoint, this effort comes at a price. I have to leave my car with the dealer for a few days. I drive my cars daily and I really do not like to go a day without having my cars available to drive. I paid a lot of money for these cars. I figure that more important than putting up with these small problems is having the car available to drive as much as possible.

So, if the problem is tolerable compared to leaving the car with the dealership having them remove the caliper, paint the caliper and then possibly screwing something else up, I would just drive drive drive...

Life is too short to go a day without driving a Maserati.

Whatever imperfections your Maserati has, consider it personality.
That's my very humble opinion.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
It is noticeable from a distance, I plan to enter car shows and will be modifying this car further.
ahhh....now that's a valid reason alone IMHO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts