Maserati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My first post to this site! Some of you may know me from the Lamborghini Chat sites and my involvement with the Seattle Italian Concours.

I've come to the point where I am going to sell my 1980 Maserati 4Porte and replace it with a Maserati GT Coupe. I finally drove one this past weekend and fell in love. Wow! What a car!

Anyhow, I was wondering what the differences were between the model years of 2002, 2003 and 2004. From what I saw in looking at a couple models, was as follows:

1. 2002 had no cup holder, was this was added in 2003?
2. 2003 & 2004 had larger openings on the map pockets on the doors?
3. The 2004 I drove appeared to have a larger "beefier" hand brake
4. The instrument binacle appeared more "flat" on top than the 2002.

Any other major differences that you all might know?

Many thanks, and looking forward to having a newer Maser shortly!

Mike Wilson
Board of Directors - Seattle Italian Concours
http://www.italianconcours.org
1980 Maserati 4Porte
1984 Lamborghini Jalpa
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L
2004 Aprilia Furuta

·
Registered
203 Posts
Benevenuto!

Being the owner of an '02, I noticed that sometime later the center console changed from solid black, which is what I have, to more of a pewter metallic color. Having the tabaco (saddle) interior with black carpets, I much prefer the solid black console, but that is entirely subjective. FYI only.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an 02' Coupe - and actually like the idea of no cup holder for that model, all else being equal.
My advise, buy a coupe (which ever year), and enjoy :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hill-holder added for MY 04?

Cup holder and trident badges on C pillars are 05 (as well as bumper changes).

04 also had CC software updates, though people have said 02's shift more aggressively in normal mode.

The center console color (the facia at least) can be customized. Mine is faux aluminium, to match the door trim highlights. (part of the aluminium pack I think, also matches my CC flappy paddles)

Are you thinking CC or GT? A lot of people complain about the rubbery shift of the stick, other than a software update that was needed, I've been very happy with the CC and I typically buy manual transmission cars.

Where abouts are you looking for cars? (I'm in Seattle too)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Searching on the forum will get you the answers to this...

... but I'll save you some time and repost something I wrote a few months ago. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There were minor changes between the introduction year (2002) of the Coupé and the current model, no major engine changes or HP output changes. There were several changes to ECU/transmission programming and as far as I'm aware, these can be made retroactively to older models (and is done automatically by dealers during services, unless you ask them not to; some forum members have done so out of personal preference). There also have been minor changes to the color mixtures you can choose. Here are the changes I'm aware of:

2002: Introduction year
2003: Many small gremlins fixed, shortened production year
2004: Center console revised, cupholder added and armrest storage increased; "hillholder" feature added to tranmission
2005: Front grill enlarged (looks like GranSport), rear grill added, now allowed to choose contrasting color for center of seats, trident wingbadges added, some option packages (like Vintage) added
2006: Some exterior color choices were removed from standard list, no mechanical changes I'm aware of

If you're interested in the Spyder, I believe that one major change was that the 2002 MY used a plastic rear window whilst the 2003 and later years used a glass window and also the body was reinforced to reduce cowl shake.

If you are looking for a GranSport-look, the 2005-2006 MYs have a similar-sized grill, although it is dark grey instead of the chrome that the GranSport has. Also, the GranSport has a more aggressive-looking lower spoiler lip. The GranSport also has side skirts, which, in my opinion, actually look a little dorky.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Glenn:

Yes, I'm actually in Auburn. I've looked at the 2004 GT Coupe at Park Place, and will check out the 2002 GT Coupe at F&MoS when I pick up my 4Porte that they are servicing.

I'm looking for a GT, not the Cambio. I guess you can say I'm "old school"... I need a foot operated clutch and stick shift in hand! :D

I'm finally upgrading our garage! hahaha... I'm still keeping the Lamborghini Jalpa, we just replaced my wife's old Saab with a 2006 Saab 9-5, and I'm selling my other 2 babies to get this Maserati GT Coupe:

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Front Spoiler Lip

I've noticed that on the 2006 model, the coupe now has a seperate front spoiler lip. On older models, it's integrated into the body. When was this changed?

·
Registered
909 Posts
2005 was the first year for the restyled front bumper.

vs.

The older style has the floating emblem, whereas on the new ones, the grille\emblem is flush, plus the lower lip differences. They also added the slat style like on this second picture, with the chrome mesh on vintage package cars. The older style cars came with either black mesh, or chrome mesh on the vintage package cars.

With vintage pack all of the mesh inserts, front and rear are chrome rather than black. Plus there are the side mesh accents distinct to the vintage package.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the MCV? Is it only available in Blue? I saw a black ltd edition recently that was pretty insane with alcantera leather interior, tinted windows, itilian badge on exterior. Is that also the MCV? It had that same or similar front spolier?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yes Drew, that would be an MCV. It is available in 7 different metallic paint colors, which are all very good choices. In my opinion the blue is the best fit, it goes very well with the blue woven carbon fiber. The MC Victory is easiest to identify by the carbon fiber spoiler, CF Seat Backs, alcantara headliner and dash, and of course, the Italian flag Emblem on the front quarter panel...

·
Registered
32 Posts
and to answer your first question, the MC Victory is a special edition Gransport. It was produced in celebration of Maserati's victory at the 2005 FIA GT1 Championships. The same attributes that allowed maserati MC12 to dominate on the track are featured on the MCV, such as the aerodynamic spoiler, which not only looks great but improves downforce to give this maserati even more stability at high speeds. also a sought after feature are the seats, they come from the MC12 and give the car an instant 20Kg weight reduction. All in all this car looks great, and with only 180 produced and only 50 for the U.S., it is indeed a special car. Maserati is the only marque who can call themselves Champions(and they just renewed their status for 2006!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I saw the other thread that had some more pics too. Are the MC Victory tweaks only cosmetic, or are their other suspension or engine tweaks to the car. What are your thoughts on the value versus the premium over the base Gransport? What is the premium $$ over the similarly equiped Gransport? I wish now that I had taken a closer look at the car. I'll have to go back and take a second look.

Thanks again.

Drew

PS: What was the color allocation of the 50 US spec cars? Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i have seen personally a Victory Blue MCV (+ optional CF int.) and a Bianco Fuji MCV. both looks great. i saw a red one online (RTGT), and as well, that nero/beige one. may be someone can compile a registry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts