Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first Maser on Friday - an 07 QP Sport GT (I've been a Ferrari guy for 10 years, but it was time for something with four doors other than a Hummer). There's a little slot under the nav screen where my Cingular GSM sim card slides in, but I get a "Telephone Not Available" error when I hit the button. Is there a way to buy the phone "guts" in the US? I'd rather not retrofit a bluetooth system if I can just pop in my sim card and use all the pre-wired interface stuff (esp the phone button on steering wheel).

Thanks in advance,

SJ

·
Registered
192 Posts
Steve Jenkins. Wow, small world. I remember you from the FerrariList days :)

Anyway, the GSM Phone that is built in is not really available in the US. The frequencies it uses are the Euro ones and not the US ones. I forgot which they are but I found that even if I were to import the guts from Europe, no carries in the DC area could even provide signal.

One of the biggest gripes around here seems to be the lack of features on the Infotainment center.

Anyway, welcome to Maserati ownership, they really are spectacular cars and you will not be disappointed in the mechanical aspects of the car.

BTW, what is still in your garage?

Best,
dsd

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYI - FerrariList still lives! http://www.ferrarilist.com/

But "dsd" from N. Virginia isn't enough for me to make a positive ID. Gimme a hint? :)

Anyway, I suspected something as lame as non-compatible guts when just popping in the sim card didn't work. But I'll keep looking for some hack. :)

I'm getting iPod/XM integration put in on Wednesday, and apparently the dude who does it has plug-in modules from Europe that require NO wire cutting. I think it's $2K installed. He is also looking into the phone situation for me, to see if he can develop some sort of hack. I may end up going the Bluetooth route, though I've heard that their quality is somewhat lacking...

Anyway, in the garage (in order of birth):

1989 Ferrari 328 GTS
1991 Ferrari F40
1992 Ferrari 512 TR
1993 Ford Ranger XLT (wife's toy truck)
1994 Ferrari 348 Spider
2001 BMW 740iL (wife's sedan)
2004 Hummer H2
2005 Hummer H3
2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Cars with the phone option have a separate 3" phone antenna on the rear of the roof, and have a phone handset in the top of the front center armrest. (very few US cars have this option, but the phone buttons and sim slot are always there) As far as I know Cingular (AT&T) is the only US carrier that uses GSM. (The big reason the Apple iPhone is Cingular only as well)

Most of my customers that use the phone in the car, get a second line, to avoid swapping SIM cards.

My audio installer is researching using the existing phone buttons to integrate bluetooth. He has already successfully integrated bluetooth, using factory microphone location, and going over the central speakers. Paired with this he is working on an interface for the 7" screen to switch over for backup camera, and a bluetooth unit that will use the screen as its display. We are investigating using the existing phone buttons as well.

Both the factory phone and bluetooth have their advantages, but for most of my customers bluetooth is the better option. The quality of the bluetooth is dependent on hardware and install.

- Mark

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did know it was a GSM only feature, and I do have Cingular.

I'd love any info on bluetooth progress. My installer is working on iPod and XM control from the steering wheel over the CAN network today. I don't want a separate controller - it HAS to be through the wheel! :) Anyone got any pointers on that?

·
Registered
909 Posts
From what I understand the Dension adapter interfaced at the CD changer level, and normal controls could be used, with some iPod organization adapted to be used with the Dension. (playlists and the like)

I'm working with my installer on these things now, and hopefully we'll have a solution that a skilled owner or good audio installer can use.

I think Buzz has done as much work as anyone in trying to get something to work via. CAN, but I think he ended up going to a relay based switch with an extra remote to run XM.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I get a pretty good signal with T-Mobile most places.

There's a dead spot in my house - but I've3 never had a service that gives me good coverage in my house for some reason (different carriers different houses).

The other place that's bad is the several blocks on El Camino surrounding the T-Mobile store! :confused:

Yep, T-Mobile is also GSM if you can ever get a signal.

Steve,

Welcome to the site. Suggest you check out our sister site www.ferrarilife.com for your Ferrari needs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cars with the phone option have a separate 3" phone antenna on the rear of the roof, and have a phone handset in the top of the front center armrest. (very few US cars have this option, but the phone buttons and sim slot are always there) As far as I know Cingular (AT&T) is the only US carrier that uses GSM. (The big reason the Apple iPhone is Cingular only as well)
- Mark
Apparently I have one of the few US QPs equipped with a factory phone. However, I still can't get it to work by plugging in my AT&T sim card in the infotainment center. Am I doing something wrong?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts