Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just checking out the 06 Coupes for sale on www.dupontregistry.com

I noticed most of the 06 Coupes are being sold with the 19" polished GS rims.

I am starting to like them. What does everyone think of those rims?

Do you think you can get them somewhere other than the dealership? I bet they charge close to $1,000 per tire and rim. I really don't want to pay that much.

How much are the old rims worth? Mine are in excellent shape with 7,000 miles on the tires?

ARe run flat tires stronger? Will they produce a smoother ride?

Lastly, will the 05-06 GS rims fit on an 04 coupe.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Thanks.

CM

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have GS 19" Trofeo / Mercury Grey on my Grigio Alfieri Coupé (2003). The look is superb, the ride is a bit harder (I like it). These wheels made by BBS, the quality is very good, and you are sure to not see the same on a BMW nor a MB !

Go for it ! IMHO Ball polished is classier and mercury grey is sportier !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Swiss-Maserati said:
I have GS 19" Trofeo / Mercury Grey on my Grigio Alfieri Coupé (2003). The look is superb, the ride is a bit harder (I like it). These wheels made by BBS, the quality is very good, and you are sure to not see the same on a BMW nor a MB !

Your car looks great!!!!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Chris - it depends where you live. Around here in the Philly suburbs, the 18" coupe wheel with the low profile tires make for a fairly harsh ride on the potholes and uneven roads. The 19's would probably be almost unbearable. Factor that into your decision.

·
Registered
835 Posts
RickBullotta said:
Chris - it depends where you live. Around here in the Philly suburbs, the 18" coupe wheel with the low profile tires make for a fairly harsh ride on the potholes and uneven roads. The 19's would probably be almost unbearable. Factor that into your decision.
or 19" + soft compound tires (softens the ride a little)

RQ-

there isn't a whole lot of high performance run-flat tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTireResults.jsp?search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&startIndex=0&width=null&frontRatio=35&minLoad=S&frontDiameter=19&frontRatio=35&rearWidth=265/&frontSortCode=57260&rearDiameter=19&frontWidth=235/&rearSortCode=57646&rearRatio=30&minSpeedRating=V&speed_rating=VR&speed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR&RunFlat=All

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pot holes Everywhere

Rick:

I live in Central NJ, many roads are just terrible, cracks and pot holes that can swallow a small dog.... That has been my biggest concern with getting another set of rims.

I think the 18" rims ride rough, I could only imagine the 19" riding rougher...

However, a car buff friend of mine told me that he had the same problem with his 18"s then he got 19" with run flats and they ride smoother cause apparently they are a much thicker tire??

I do not know if there is any truth to that?

CM

·
Registered
188 Posts
haha said:
there isn't a whole lot of high performance run-flat tires
Right, I know.

Although the run-flats in my Z06 and CTS-V were a reasonable compromise, particularly in my flat, mainly straight area (S. Florida).

I'd give up some grip in the GS for a bit of peace of mind knowing that a flat won't destroy my schedule or worse, strand me in a non-great area.

Alternatively would love to find a donut-type wheel that would fit to get me out of a bind.

So any donuts or run-flats that fit a GS?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
chris7469 said:
...However, a car buff friend of mine told me that he had the same problem with his 18"s then he got 19" with run flats and they ride smoother cause apparently they are a much thicker tire??

I do not know if there is any truth to that?

CM
unfortunately your car buff friend is really buffing.
run flat tires have STIFFER sidewall construction to support the weight of collasped tire and car in the event of a puncture.

on the other hand, a higher profile tire on a 18" wheel versus a lower profile tire on a 19" wheel has thicker tire by nature.

the higher performance the tire is, the stiffer the side wall it is to counter the lateral load, and hence a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Swiss-Maserati said:

hello there,gorgeous car.
I was wondering what the stud pattern on these wheels were,by chance 5x98?
And also do they come in 18''?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here in the UK ball polished rims look the dogs bollocks, but really hard to repair successfully here they are about £950 each rim plus vat , and yes run flats will have the opposite effect to what your car buff friend told you they will increase the stiffness hence a harder bumpier ride, stud pattern is

fronts 5 x 108 offset 55
rears 5 x 108 offset 35

Not completely sure regarding the offsets but thats very close

Can i ask because i really bemused and dont understand why have you put a carbon fibre 3200 bonnet your car, forgive me, but in my opinion its really chav and has lowered the status of the car down to Ford/ boy racer level , why would you do that to such an upmarket vehicle already in its own right heaven forbid JMHO

regards loz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts