Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 19” GS rims used about a year ago. I had them refinished and some pot hole damage repaired before I had them installed on the car.

I used a place in North Hollywood that I have used for years and have been very happy with them in the past; they have a good reputation and repair a huge amount of wheels.

I have had these wheels redone about 4. or 5. times in the last year.
The first two times I had the wheels painted with what they call a hyper silver finish.
It is a bright silver paint with a clear coat on the top.
I had to have them redone because after about 2. Or 3. Months the paint started to flake off the spokes. At first they tried to tell me I was cleaning them too aggressively.
So on the second repaint I just used a garden hose no nozzle and no wheel cleaner of any kind. You guessed it the same as before.
So next we tried powder coating the wheels silver with a clear coat over them.
In about 1. Month the clear crystallized... I sent the wheels back again, they said the clear was too thick and we should leave it off this next time.
So they repowder coated the rims again this time with out clear. The finish was a satin grey; it looked different from any other GS wheel but nice.
Well about 1. Week ago I am washing the car and you guessed it, the left front wheel around the lug nut holes is crystallized again. Now at this point let me say that each time they redo the rims they take them all the way down to the rim. And when the finish crystallizes you can not feel any thing when you run your finger over the problem area.
So the latest word is they feel that is a heat sink problem from the brakes over heating the powder coat finish on the rim. I do not track the car and only drive around town with a drive on weekends only occasionally.
What we are thinking of doing at this point is nothing or repowder coating them a darker grey gloss. The lighter silver is not available in gloss.
What do you guys think I should do?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Vungul had his rims painted glossy black and the job was very well done. Send him a PM and ask who did it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wheels

Niteroi,
I have seen his black wheels.Vungul had them painted at his body shop,last I saw them the paint was chipped and needed to be redone.
Ron:)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
What a shame, they looked so good!

Ron, have you considered chrome? :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
651 Posts
Well, this concerns me as I'm trying to decide whether to powder coat my OEM 15 spoke's - must do something so it's either that or buy new rims

·
Registered
111 Posts
Niteroi,
I have seen his black wheels.Vungul had them painted at his body shop,last I saw them the paint was chipped and needed to be redone.
Ron:)
For the record. Ron is a perfectionist and he definition of Chipped and Needing to be Redone is not mine. I drive my car regularly and like it that way.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vungul,
I did not mean to say that they looked bad. Your car is always one of the nicest GS’s in LA. Sorry if I offended you, as you said I am overly fastidious
Ron

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wheel paint

Ok the story now is that the powder coating is heat sensitive. And that the front brakes generate a lot of heat, even driving on the street. And when I come home and clean the wheels with water (after only ten minutes or so) the change in tempierature is making the powder coating crack.

So now the wheels will be redone with regular wheel two stage paint like what you would use on a car. This should solve the problems I hope.:confused:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It sounds like the washing of the hot wheel is the culprit.
If that's the problem then mine will last forever, they don't see water very often!

Ron, I still remember the first time you saw my car and within seconds you found a gap between my headlight and the fender. Man, you have sharp eyes! I feel bad for the guy that painted your wheels!! :D:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Niteroi,

I do remember you and your car on our Maserati trip. Very nice GS. I guess in retrospect I should learn to keep my mouth shut about other people’s cars!
Ron

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Niteroi,

I do remember you and your car on our Maserati trip. Very nice GS. I guess in retrospect I should learn to keep my mouth shut about other people’s cars!
Ron
No Ron, I didn't get upset at all, quite the opposite, you pointed at something that needed to be fixed and I didn't see.

Actually, I brought that up to the dealer and he told me it was not cover under warranty... what a surprise! So if you see my car again you will probably notice that it is still like that because I have no idea of what needs to be done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts