Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a unique experience last night... A friend of mine, who has driven only German cars for as long as i have known him, went to the Auto show. I took him over the Ferrari/Maserati booth and he fell in love the the new 599.

He took delivery of a car with 2,000 miles last week and we took it out last night. He drove it from Santa Monica to Beverly Hills, we went for Dinner and he asked me if i wanted to drive it back (about 8 miles). He drove the car very carefully as he has never driven an F-1 transmission, or for that matter any Italian car

He started telling me how to get it in reverse and then put it into first to get out of the parking space. Before his sentence was finished, I was shifting into 3rd, doing about 80 on Rodeo drive. I have about 15,000 miles of experience on the F-1. I drove it pretty hard and it is and is an incredibly understated, elegant, powerful, responsive 12 cyl. Ferrari. I was on cloud-9. it was one of the finest cars I ever drove. I felt like I had owned it a year, within the 1st minute I drove it.

He dropped me off at the garage where i keep my GS. I took the PCH home in the GS and was stoked...I was all over my car and I gotta tell you, it held up to the 599 comparison. It is an 8 cyl and the tranny is not as lightning fast on the shifts, but at 1/4 of the price... I have never appreciated my car more than last night.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a unique experience last night... A friend of mine, who has driven only German cars for as long as i have known him, went to the Auto show. I took him over the Ferrari/Maserati booth and he fell in love the the new 599.

He took delivery of a car with 2,000 miles last week and we took it out last night. He drove it from Santa Monica to Beverly Hills, we went for Dinner and he asked me if i wanted to drive it back (about 8 miles). He drove the car very carefully as he has never driven an F-1 transmission, or for that matter any Italian car

He started telling me how to get it in reverse and then put it into first to get out of the parking space. Before his sentence was finished, I was shifting into 3rd, doing about 80 on Rodeo drive. I have about 15,000 miles of experience on the F-1. I drove it pretty hard and it is and is an incredibly understated, elegant, powerful, responsive 12 cyl. Ferrari. I was on cloud-9. it was one of the finest cars I ever drove. I felt like I had owned it a year, within the 1st minute I drove it.

He dropped me off at the garage where i keep my GS. I took the PCH home in the GS and was stoked...I was all over my car and I gotta tell you, it held up to the 599 comparison. It is an 8 cyl and the tranny is not as lightning fast on the shifts, but at 1/4 of the price... I have never appreciated my car more than last night.
Sorry but i don't summon your point of view!
599 is the greatest car ever produced from the lines of Maranello even better than the Enzo!!!!
It a an everyday car which can be driven like hell in a track!!!
Also uniqueness and recognition is much higher than the GS!
Of course there is a price to pay, and if i could afford it i would certainly go for it!!!
Oh life is soooooooo unfair!!!:mad:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry but i don't summon your point of view!
599 is the greatest car ever produced from the lines of Maranello even better than the Enzo!!!!
It a an everyday car which can be driven like hell in a track!!!
Also uniqueness and recognition is much higher than the GS!
Of course there is a price to pay, and if i could afford it i would certainly go for it!!!
Oh life is soooooooo unfair!!!:mad:
Well, I can understand his point.
A good friend of mine has a 550 and we have driven aggressively both on back country roads and the track and despite him being a very good driver he could never shake me off his tail. When you have a car, GS, with 0-60 in 4.8sec and top speed of 180 it will take an extraordinary driver to beat that in another car. I drove an F355 for awhile and was completely unimpressed by that car compared to my GS.
Now, the 599 is a different beast altogether I do concede....but I can certainly understand why someone would get back into his GS and be suitably impressed by the performance of the GS.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, I can understand his point.
A good friend of mine has a 550 and we have driven aggressively both on back country roads and the track and despite him being a very good driver he could never shake me off his tail. When you have a car, GS, with 0-60 in 4.8sec and top speed of 180 it will take an extraordinary driver to beat that in another car. I drove an F355 for awhile and was completely unimpressed by that car compared to my GS.
Now, the 599 is a different beast altogether I do concede....but I can certainly understand why someone would get back into his GS and be suitably impressed by the performance of the GS.
I had a 550 Maranello prior to my Coupe (when my first daughter was born and a 2-seater was, well...) and I was fine with the Coupe. Different cars, but neither vastly superior to the other.

Before buying the GS I was tempted by a 612 Scaglietti... that's one heck of a car, as the 599, but not as practical as the GS for everyday life (although the trunk of the Scaglietti fares better than the GS one...)

Very happy with the GS.

Maybe a need a second sports car... :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
...I was all over my car and I gotta tell you, it held up to the 599 comparison. It is an 8 cyl and the tranny is not as lightning fast on the shifts, but at 1/4 of the price... I have never appreciated my car more than last night.
And what were you drinking at dinner?

·
Registered
660 Posts
And what were you drinking at dinner?
Agree. The 599 is in another league. As the 430 Scuderia. Or the 612, if you want to compare 2+2 against each other.

Against my 550 the biggest difference, of course, is the V12 engine in the Ferrari, not matched in performance by the V8 in the Coupe/GS range. But then, they are completely different cars, so you can't really compare side-by-side. Each has its strenghts, and they are different driving experiences.

Given the option of grabbing a 612 or a GS, I know what I would buy...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I keep hoping 612 prices will plummet. :)
Since my family is growing, 4200 will not be a satisfactory car for long journeys etc.
I will probably need something more spacious.
I'm pretty satisfied with my maser and i don't consider a nice move to buy a Merc or BMW.
612 is a great option, but price here in Greece is tremendous and usage is not as fair as the maser.
QP would be a nice choice or.......
a new FIAT 500 for the family and wife and a F430 for me:D :D :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I saw the GT in person for the first time today in Tampa (Reeves), black on black.
All I can say is....WOW!

I love my GS, but I am being sorely tempted........

Bianco Fuji on Black with white stiching...
or
Deep blue on tan...
or
Is there a Grigio Silverstone equivalent on bordeaux??...

Love it!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Warning - off-topic hijack..

I want one of those new 500's.
My first motorcycle was bigger than that! LOL But they are so cute even my husband's Italian uncle in South Africa couldn't resist..

And back on topic - sorry guys, owning both a GS and 550, there is no comparison. BUT, if you love your car as much as I love mine (and it sounds like you do) - who cares! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Still on the Fiat 500

Saw the new Fiat 500 at the MPH show last weekend. my wife loves it and is already thinking of swapping her 500 SL for one. It's quite a bit bigger than the original, as with the Mini. I wonder if they will do a sporty Arbarth version.
Can't actually buy them in the UK yet I believe. the US will probably get the first million units or so I suspect......as usual ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts