Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else really jealous of the starter button on the GS and thought of putting one on a Coupe? I picked up a button from the dealer and am thinking about trying to make it work. The area I am looking at is next to the mirror adjustment cluster just in front of the ashtray ('02, no cupholder). There is plenty of room and clearance underneath the console for the switch, so I'm good there once I locate a chrome bezel for it.

The wiring is TBD though. Anyone have a good idea on how I can locate the proper wires from the ignition? I don't see a real easy way to get the bottom portion of the steering wheel trim off to get a look, and at that point I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I have seen a number of DIY's on the internet like this for other cars, but as we all know, the stakes are a little high to be experimenting blindly on these cars.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
good luck my friend.
it would be nice. let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am very jealous of the start button (1 of 2 things I like better in the GS).

However, I am not sure I would be crazy for a non-factory button.

Anyway, hope it works for you.

-dsd

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it is "factory" :). I got the GS replacement blue start button from the maserati parts counter at my dealer, I certainly was not considering the red Honda S2000 button that seems popular with other cars on the internet. It just didn't come with the chrome trim ring around it. Perhaps a different part number? Hopefully I can pick that up along with the replacement chrome vent trim rings that are flaking as well. I will find out, and will certainly take a pic if things turn out. Not trying to be a GS poser, but those buttons are just too cool. Anyone have wiring diagrams to locate colors for the starter and ignition leads under the dash??

·
Registered
150 Posts
Surprised to see the interest here shown for the starter button. I guess that what you don't have is always better. I have the start-button in my GS, and would have preferred the function retained in the key, as the hole process of moving the hand away to push the button is inconvenient - you have to look and see, otherwise your hand may not find the button. The key has to be turned anyway, thus one more click to start the engine is much easier and more natural. Of course the "looks" might be cool, but again it is not practical as the button does not provide you a "stop engine" function either. Sorry for being such negative, but you might regret the change if not for the look alone. If you can, anyone, let us know where to obtain the electrical diagram for the GS, that would indeed be useful. Thanks Kai

·
Registered
722 Posts
I also think the starter button is just a cool-looking inconvenience. If the car had keyless start, then fine, otherwise it's just an affectation.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Not really, had one on my S2000, I like the feeling of turning the key.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm, I'm losing some excitement in this project....

Perhaps the wiring can be done so I can do it either way, key or button. I am assuming then the GS only has two key positions, on and off.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The GS ignition switch has a third, spring-loaded, "do-nothing" position just past on. It would be where you'd go to start the engine, if the starter button wasn't installed!

·
Registered
339 Posts
flaking vents

cardiffGiant said:
Hopefully I can pick that up along with the replacement chrome vent trim rings that are flaking as well.
FYI, mine were replaced under warranty for same flaking issue

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success

Well, the wiring was pretty straightforward and the POC was a success last night. The button and a 30 amp relay are in place. I used wire taps to the ignition harness so the key is still functional along with the button. Maybe this coupe has one up on the GS for a change? :) I can use the key for those lasy days, and press the button for those more inspriring moments. Will take some pictures when I hunt down a bezel and mount it in the console for those that are interested. One question for any GS guys reading: is the button disabled when the engine is running so you can't press it and grind the starter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Starter buttons are so lame

Get beyond the gimmick. Seriuosly, it's all show and you get so tired of it after awhile. My Lotus has one and after driving the maserati for a few weeks then getting back into the Elise it's like "Crap...what...who...why isn't this starting when I turn the key?" yeah...damn starter button. It's just lame if I can throw my 2 cents in on that.

I will admit that before the novelty wears off it's kind of fun to be like "yeah, what...I have a starter button on my car" then you realize just how useless it is for everyday use. Of course, it's all personal opinion and you may absolutely love it forever, who knows.

·
Registered
431 Posts
well done cardiffGiant!

How much was the starter button and how do you splice it in to the wiring harness? If too much trouble I might just put the starter button for show for now. Please can you put some pics int/ext of your car.
cheers!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Seems like now even a Toyota Corolla has a start button... I'd say the charm or exclusivity is gone from that project.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of negativity on this?...

The button was about $50 from the dealer. The harness from the ignition is readily accessible under the dash. A multimeter and turning the key can determine the wires to tap, I don't remember the colors. You need to find the ignition (12 volts in 'on' position) and starter wire (12 volts when start is cranking). I tapped those with wire taps and ran them under the seam where the center tunnel meets the carpet and into the area underneath the center armrest, just in front of the ashtray ('02). I tapped the light in the ashtray for the light on the starter button, and used an existing ground to the tunnel also just in front of the ashtray. Other sites describing this type of modification suggest using a relay to offload the starter amperage from the button, I did that as well, and followed the wiring diagram on the relay box. Took me about an hour all told.

My result at this point is an unmounted button that will start the car when the key is in the on position. Wires were tapped, not cut, so the key also remains functional for starting. The real challenge is finding a good mounting solution. I was planning to mount it just behind the side window controls in the center console. However, the button did not come with the chrome trim ring and should be mounted I think so it is flush or below the surface around it. As a result of this, I just tucked the button back under the center console and replaced the ash tray until a solution presents itself (or preferably is presented to me).

·
Registered
835 Posts
cardiffGiant said:
Lots of negativity on this?...
thumbs up from me :)

cardiffGiant said:
I just tucked the button back under the center console and replaced the ash tray until a solution presents itself (or preferably is presented to me).
maybe a cutom carbon fiber ash tray lid made in such a way that you could mount the button?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haha, just read your comment. I had almost forgot I had my button tucked away under the ashtray. With spring coming, I think I will resurrect this project and get to some of the other things I have been thinking about o0ber the winter: finish exhaust modifications, lower the car, maybe refinish the wheels in another color/finish...

I have also been considering some carbon fiber interior pieces for the car as well, including the door trim pieces, perhaps the bezel piece around the stereo/nav screen and then the center section where the ashtray, little compartment, and side mirror controls are. I would like a cupholder, and will never use the ashtray, so it seems a great piece to swap out with a custom carbon fiber piece that holds the starter button, cupholder, and mirror controls.

My big concern is it looking to Fast and Furious though. I know that there are CF trim packages for the car in later years, but have not seen one in person and not sure if the just the pieces I am considering will look too scattered and not "uniform" enough. Anyone with thoughts or experience on this?

·
Registered
34 Posts
you have to turn the key? :confused: I thought all of the cars with a start button had a smart key that stayed in your pocket, ala Jaguar. You walk up, it recognizes you and unlocks the door, you do nothing, you get in and hit the start button. I'm assuming this isn't how this works? LOL why would you put a key into the ignition, turn the key, then stop and reach over and hit a start button.................LOL................I didn't know that, honestly, that is a hoot. What a wasted motion. Sorry, that is just really funny to me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Lue said:
you have to turn the key? :confused: I thought all of the cars with a start button had a smart key that stayed in your pocket, ala Jaguar. You walk up, it recognizes you and unlocks the door, you do nothing, you get in and hit the start button. I'm assuming this isn't how this works? LOL why would you put a key into the ignition, turn the key, then stop and reach over and hit a start button.................LOL................I didn't know that, honestly, that is a hoot. What a wasted motion. Sorry, that is just really funny to me.
i agree 100% if there is no smart key i don't want a starter button just stupid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts