Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing that my GS tends to get the rear loose pretty easy, and it seems like if wasn't for the stability control I'd spin all the time. I just came back from work following a BMW 550 in the twisties and the bimmer seemed a lot more planted then my GS. My rear was all over the place!

Is it a characteristic of the car, or it's something wrong "between the steering wheel and the seat" :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sounds like something is wrong. Ive driven the GS before, and have a coupe... both hold turns VERY well. They may not be as highly tunes as an M5, but they dont break loose and the like.

They do have a bit of roll...

·
Registered
84 Posts
How are your rear tires?

If they are low on tread the MSP will light up all the time.

Paul

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'd check the rear tires and make sure you have it in "sport".

I've driven the GS on track for quite some time and they are awesome. A BMW 550 shouldn't feel more planted at all. The GS will outrun any 5 series, other than maybe an M5, given drivers are of same skill level.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops!

Ok guys, just figured out what the problem is, just went outside to check and the tires pressure is 25! I guess is supposed to be 35 (front) and 32 (back).

Since the car came from a dealership I thought everything was in order, but I guess it's not. I better check fluids, brake pads and etc..

Thank you!

PS- I'll fix the the tires pressure tomorrow morning and go for the twisties to compare. I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the tire pressure fixed today and tested the car... it didn't do much of a difference, the car still breaking the rear loose and the "MSC" light goes off all the time and depending on how fast I'm going it takes away most of the power right in the middle of the turn. It's weird...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Got the tire pressure fixed today and tested the car... it didn't do much of a difference, the car still breaking the rear loose and the "MSC" light goes off all the time and depending on how fast I'm going it takes away most of the power right in the middle of the turn. It's weird...
Hello there....
Oversteering behaviour is not something unusual for cars with power like this.
It is not a simple issue though as it depends on many differen things.
GS is a supercar for street use but it is very well tuned for a track day.
This means that the whole setup and engine management is oriented to aggressive driving.
All these are very helpful in a track where tarmac is great and all turns are carefully designed.
In real life though, streets are slippery dirty, not very well curved, and most of all, tyres are never in the ideal temperature amplitude to perform as they could!
You need a lot of time of trying to increase temperature on the tyre's surface before you try to get the best out of them.
Also if you are used to press throttle before the apex of a turn, yes, torque makes the car oversteer agressively!
That's when you have to show confidence to the locked diff, keep pressing as much as you need to control your rear, guide with the steering, and leave those beautiful black lines on the street. That's what the fun is!!!!!!:)
If you want to go fast though you need to hold lines while turning, and always, charge the outter springs when turn in to reduce body roll.
Of cource acceleration must happen on or after the apex in order to go fast.
GS is a well tuned 4200 but a good spring change, will improve ride both on track and street use! Some guys here wil gladly assist you;)
So if your tyres are relatively good, alignment is fine and you use to accelarate before the apex, yes this is a normal thing for the GS
Regards
PaNoS

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I've been noticing that my GS tends to get the rear loose pretty easy, and it seems like if wasn't for the stability control I'd spin all the time. I just came back from work following a BMW 550 in the twisties and the bimmer seemed a lot more planted then my GS. My rear was all over the place!

Is it a characteristic of the car, or it's something wrong "between the steering wheel and the seat" :)
In my experience with my Coupe, there's a combination of things going on here...a bit of the "feeling" of looseness is an illusion - I've found that despite the fact that it feels a bit unstable, it still holds the road superbly, even at "the limit". I suspect that it might be due to the F/R weight distribution and the driver position.

You also need to use Jackie Stewart-style smoothness to get the most out of this car, because of the power and, again, the weight distribution.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Great reply by PANOS. All in all i agree with him completely. I have had my GS for 2 years, and there is no way a BMW 5 series is more planted.

I think PANOS gave some good basic track tips, I had my car on the track (and it was a tight track more suited for a Lotus Exige than a GS). I also had it on the skid pad to get a feel for new tires I put on. I am now running on the Goodyear F1 -( I think it is the GS-D3) and I love them. They do take a bit of time to warm up, and until they warm they do not run that well. I met a friend with a Ford GT and he is also running the F1's and found the same thing to be true. I am crazy about tires and tire pressure. It is your only contact with the road. you can have the biggest engine and the best suspension, but if the tires are not perforiming well, the rest just does not matter.

I am assuming you are running on P-zero's as most of the Maserati's are delivered with them. Not my favorite tire, but there is surely nothing wrong with them. I would put the car on a skid pad and really find its breaking point and make sure that the problem really exists or is percieved. I am the first to admit that I am not the greatest driver and I find the skid pad to be the best test of how the car will break loose.

There should be no problem with hooking up. I also have a Shelby and hooking it up is always an issue. The GS is suce a well balanced and stable car, that I have just never had this problem.

Did you do any engine modifications or are you running it at the stock 400 HP?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think Panos is right, I'm probably doing something wrong. The only two other sport cars I've driven was a Miata and Porsche 911. The Miata doesn't have the power of the GS, but both 911 I've tried definetly inspired me more confidence. But again, I have no track experience, so I'm probably not using the car right.

Where do I find a skidpad around here? I'd love to try it.

PS- My tires are P zeros, and they are all new. From my office to the road I've mentioned takes only 5 or 10 minutes, so I believe not enough time to warm up the tires.

How many of you drive with the MSP turned off most of the time? I'm kind of liking it better that way... Until I crash :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Keep the MSP on unless you're on the track or don't mind a few months in the shop...

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I leave the MSP on, for whatever it's worth.

I also had a 911 and I think the GS is a much easier car to drive. If you want to have some fun take your car up to willow springs. I like Fast Lane racing school. You can put your car on the track as well using thier Celicas. They have several different tracks. it is about 90 minutes maybe 2 hours from Santa Barbara.

The skid pad is just a 200 ft circle painted on asphalt. but you can really find and hold your car in the "breaking point".

Have fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Keep the MSP on unless you're on the track or don't mind a few months in the shop...
You know there is a nickname for the MSP..... WIDOWMAKER we all can figure out why, eventhough i enjoy it alot if pressed off on tight windy road with only purpose to "sweep" dust from the tarmac!
Of course speed does not exceed 100-120 Km/h (60-70m/h).
At high speeds MSP is always but always ON!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Niteroi, Streets of WillowSprings' for southern cal.

I think Fontana parking lot some times get to run club events too.

Join a local club that runs school there and you get to learn your car in wet/dry skidpad

jess

1 - 14 of 14 Posts