Maserati Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within the next 2 months I will purchase a Coupe. At the moment I'm considering the 02 to 04 due to price point. I plan on buying a new front bumper, rear bumper and side skirts to update the look to give it the aggresive Grand Sport stance. Is this possible? The other crazy question is...if I bought an 02 with no cup holder can I buy the 04 center console piece which contains the cup holder and replace the 02 center console?

I keep hearing there is a HUGE difference between the 02 and 04 in regards to the F1 transmission. Is this true? It seems you can pick up a 02 around 28K where as the 04 is around 35K...is it worth the 7K?

Thanks so much for the honest replies!! Justin

·
5,887 Posts
For the money you are going to spend on bodywork/paint, you are better off just saving a little longer and buying a GS.

As far as the trasmission goes, parts can be upgraded and the computer can be reflashed with the latest software ('04).

As a word a friendly advice, never buy the ceapest example of a car that you can find. As with everything, you get what you pay for. IMHO, save up and buy a nice '04-'05 Coupe. Not sure if you could get a nice one '04 around $35K quite yet (unless high miles, no service history, or off colors).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
travisJ is correct. by the time u find the bumpers and side skirts and the wheels and tires, there's already $8-10k there. really not sure if that's how u want to spend the money. btw it is Gransport. not Grand Sport. if you want the 'aggressive stance' you need to lower the car too.

if you can get a decent 04 over an 02 for just $7k, it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yup.. they do fit.. have a word with Loz over on maseratiforum.co.uk - he's currently got full GS kit & steering wheel etc fitted to his coupe. Looks nearly like mine ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GS Look

Sorry for the "grand" on gransport!! Pretty funny!!

I've acyually got a connection for paint and body work. I'm being told it's roughly 250 for each bumper to paint and the used bumpers around 700. Therefore I'm thinking the updated look may only cost 4k.

Please explain why I should stay away from the 02...were there major improvements in the material used to construct the transmission? Is it just a technology difference which an update corrects?

·
Registered
152 Posts
There are a coupe of dismatlers on ebay and they have the rear bumpers. you might call them to see if they have the skirts. they are generally less than half of the new part cost and since you'd need them painted anyway, new v. used wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sorry for the "grand" on gransport!! Pretty funny!!

I've acyually got a connection for paint and body work. I'm being told it's roughly 250 for each bumper to paint and the used bumpers around 700. Therefore I'm thinking the updated look may only cost 4k.

Please explain why I should stay away from the 02...were there major improvements in the material used to construct the transmission? Is it just a technology difference which an update corrects?

$4k? you think you can get the side skirts, bumpers, grilles, emblems for $3300?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm 100% sure...Rear bumper $600 (bought), front bumper $700 (found), side skirts probably $800-$1000 once found. Paint is $500 for bumpers and probably $300 for both side skirts. The shop has agreed upon price and labor. I've seen their work on my current car,very good work! The total is excepted to be around $3,100 for paint and body work. The rims and tires might be around $1500-$2000. I've also located an awesome racing stripe decal. It's used on the Mustang Saleen. The stripe resembles a true painted stripe in metallic colored paint. You have to rub your finger over the stripe to feel the raise. This product is only $230 compared to the ridiculous cost of labor and paint in which the stripe can never be removed when painted.

My main concern is to know if the 02 is that much worse than the 04. If it's just computer upgrades and very small changes then I may stay with an 02 which has just recently received a new clutch and F-1 pump.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From personal experience, between 02 and 07 some big improvements were made to the suspension and transmission which smoothed the changes on the CC box and made the car more compliant over bumps - BUT an 02 car, properly maintained, is still a blast to drive!

I would not rule out an 02 if you enjoy the drive - but CC pump, clutch and rear suspension bushes must all have been renewed on these cars before now.

The specific years when hardware improvements were made to suspension and CC box have been posted elsewhere on the board.

·
5,887 Posts
The rims and tires might be around $1500-$2000.
Tires alone should be at least $1,000. I doubt you can find a full set of good condition GS rims for $500-$1,000. If you do, you could probably resell them and double your money.

To be honest, I think you should reconsider your project. Unless you are buying a wrecked Maserati to start with, taking a perfectly good car and turning it into a frankencar with another model's bodywork and stripes off a Mustang is questionable. You could end up taking a $30K car ('02 Coupe), investing $5K, and end up with a $25K car.

The specific years when hardware improvements were made to suspension and CC box have been posted elsewhere on the board.
'04 or newer cars should be pretty well sorted out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
695 Posts
Given two equally maintained coupes but of different years - I would pick a higher mileage '04 over a lower mileage '02.

Beware of using Mustang stripes on a Maser Coupe - the latest generation of Mustangs have some design elements that are very similar to our older cars. It is easy to be mistaken to the un-informed. Unless, of course, you do want the car to be a sausage magnet.

IMHO, it is better to stick with Italian design cues. Ron Avery put the Italian Flag Emblems from the MCV's front fenders on his car - looked very correct and proper. Or maybe a variation of the F360 CS Flag stripes. I know of a gentleman whose 90th Anniv. Spyder has the two tone paint design of a MC-12. Lot's of possibilities, but let's please stay away from American Iron striping schemes.

Every time someone tries to make their Maserati look like a Mustang, God kills a kitten. You don't want that on your conscience.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
sausage magnet.

Every time someone tries to make their Maserati look like a Mustang, God kills a kitten. You don't want that on your conscience.
Very funny!

I agree with BCube. Mustang stripes on a Maserati!?!?!? It doesn't make any sense! Maybe you should buy a Mustang...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts