Maserati Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and looking forward to it.

I will be purchasing a Gran Sport in the near future and want to know if there is anything in particular to look out for. I will be aiming for an '06 with skyhook (the LE package). I understand that some improvements were made for '06 so that's why I'm looking to that year. I'd really prefer a pure manual but I hear that only about 6 were imported and I have not seen one on the used market.

Any adivce?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only want the Gran Sport because of the handling performance improvement over the Coup. For this, I will forgo my wish to have a manual. But I have heard from more than one source that a very few Gran Sports with manual shifters made it into the US, and that they will likely never be seen for sale on the market.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FYI - when i first started looking for a coupe i thought i wanted a stick, being used to driving it and wanting what i thought was the true traditional sports car experience. In fact, i refused to try the F-1 system for a while. Once i did i was sold. dont get hung up on the stick issue. the paddle shifting give you the same control over power.

·
Registered
173 Posts
To clarify: the U.S.-spec GS cames with only one transmission, the F1 paddleshift "cambiocorsa" which IS a manual transmission - it is not an automatic and has no torque converter. This gearbox is unique and many of us love it, but it is prone to hydraulic pump/relay problems and may have early clutch wear if not used in the "sport" mode to minimize slippage during shifts. If you want a classic console-mounted stick shift, you would have to buy a Coupe GT, not a GranSport.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's true, in terms of performance you can make a coupe better than a GS with the Formula Dynamics upgrades (spring, ECU, exhaust and etc) with the cash you'd have left from buying a coupe instead of a GS.

BUT, I personally like the looks of the GS better, including the interior.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't know there were component upgrades that would improve the handling of the coup. I will search this forum for more information about this. I will also give the Cambiocorsa a try.

But I am concerned about the hydraulic pump/relay problems with the Cambiocorsa mentioned above. Can one get this fixed, or is this a problem one just lives with?

Coup vs GS: which has more room in the back?

I also like the look a little better of the GS, and I like the carbon fiber and the piping and the red calipers and that I can make the suspension stiffer or softer and it sounds fun that you can make it a little louder in sport mode.

But handling / performance in really my ultimate objective.

·
5,887 Posts
I didn't know there were component upgrades that would improve the handling of the coupe.
Here is a link to Formula Dynamics (sells upgraded springs)...

http://www.formuladynamics.com/street-track.php

But I am concerned about the hydraulic pump/relay problems with the Cambiocorsa mentioned above. Can one get this fixed, or is this a problem one just lives with?
There really is no "problem" to live with. Like many parts of a car, they may break, wear, or otherwise need replacement but it won't be a part of daily life. Early models ('02/'03) had some known issues but all should be sorted by now.

Coup vs GS: which has more room in the back?
Same

I also like the look a little better of the GS, and I like the carbon fiber and the piping and the red calipers and that I can make the suspension stiffer or softer and it sounds fun that you can make it a little louder in sport mode.
Looks aside, you can get Skyhook suspension in both models.

But handling / performance in really my ultimate objective.
If the cost doesn't matter, get the GS since you like the looks better. If you want the car that best fits your performance needs while managing a budget, get a Coupe. For less than the price of a bone stock GS, you could have a Coupe with lots of upgrades (springs, DBW, exhaust, ECU, etc.) and have a better performing car.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input. Your information has just been great.

I will be picking your brains again.

Gary

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
FWIW, many soon to be owners struggle with this decision. It's all about what kind of owner / driver you want to be. You'll probably have this car for a while, they're addictive.

As others with our performance products have noted. A standard coupe with the spring package will far outperform a Stock GranSport. A GS with our spring package will only have the 19" wheel advantage on you in the handling category. Still some customers prefer the 18" anyway for the better ride quality. I personally prefer the 19's or even our 20's, but they're not for everyone.

If you spend a bit of the saved money on our ECM / DBW / Brakes / etc... you will have a much faster car than a GS, hands down. If you get a Larini along with it, you will have the much sought after daily driver exotic car. Truly unique, looks to kill, performance to match.

·
Registered
210 Posts
As you all know I have a 2003 Coupe GT, With GS 19” wheels, GS seats, Formula Dynamics springs and DBW up grade. Plus I have removed the rear mufflers. And a burl wood and leather steering wheel and shift knob.
So basically I have a six speed manual GS Coupe GT with out the body kit.
The car is really fun at this point, and with over 25,000 miles on the original clutch and no F1 pump I am one happy camper.
Ron:D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I just took a 2006 GS for a test drive to ck out the Cambiocorsa. Boy, really nice! I'll be fine with a Cambiocorsa.

But now I am beginning to think about the GT; its so nice looking! But the rap on the GT is that it is not a sports car. I guess the springs/shocks are too soft. Anyone know if these can be improved to the level of a GS, or a GS with the FD springs?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Coupe GT

Gary,
look at my last post. I have a 2003 Coupe GT with what amounts to a GS with a stick. The "Sky Hook" shocks are fine with new springs.I would not trade for a CC. If you like the look of GS than go for one.
Ron:)

·
5,887 Posts
But now I am beginning to think about the GT; its so nice looking! But the rap on the GT is that it is not a sports car.
The GT-S is an amazing car. If you can afford it, don't look back. The GT-S is a more performance focused version of the GT. Don't give any thoughts to the "sports car" label. Try out the GT-S, if it meets all your needs, pull the trigger and drive it home!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts