Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am seriously looking at purchasing a GS coupe and had a few questions:

-Current pricing; how much negotiation from sticker is there usually?

-From the standpoint of depreciation, is it a wiser investment to buy used GS? (Are there many, if any, used GS's out there?)

-What are the usual service intervals and associated costs?

-Are there any common mechanical issues to be aware of (especially on used examples)?

-Being in Northern California, I am familiar with Ferrari / Maserati of SF, but was wondering if there are other good dealers/brokers I should consider working with.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Ciao,
Nivola

·
Registered
188 Posts
These are fairly rare cars.

I haven't seen any used GS's yet, but maybe they are out there for people that look harder than me.

When I bought my GS (new) earlier this year the position at the time was more of I found one reasonably close to my spec and there was not much negotiating, dealer was pretty much letting me walk away even after qualifying me.

Depreciation probably sucks more than average but then again if you are really worried about that then consider something else.

Service intervals are more than reasonable for any auto. Service cost is (expectedly) higher than most though.

No real mechanical issues but browse this forum and you will get a feel for what the common issues are.

This is a fantastic car but it is not particularly mainstream, which brings about huge fun and pleasure but sometimes more quirks than one would hope.

I for one can't think of another car that I would trade my GS for (short of some silly exotics that are just not an option).

Hope this helps a bit with your decision.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I would agree with RQ's assessment except for one major omission - there does seem to be a huge hidden cost with frequent clutch replacements due to the CC transmission. There are more than a few postings of people who had to replace a clutch with only 10-12,000 miles on it. For that matter, having to replace one before 50,000 seems ridiculous, particularly at the cost of doing one - in the range of $3000-4000 USD. Ouch.

·
Registered
681 Posts
RickBullotta said:
I would agree with RQ's assessment except for one major omission - there does seem to be a huge hidden cost with frequent clutch replacements due to the CC transmission. There are more than a few postings of people who had to replace a clutch with only 10-12,000 miles on it. For that matter, having to replace one before 50,000 seems ridiculous, particularly at the cost of doing one - in the range of $3000-4000 USD. Ouch.
Are you guys really getting raped that bad on clutches? Retail is only $8xx for the 02 Spyder and then the misc. parts should bring it at $1k max plus labor.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
"plus labor" - therein lies the cost...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your feedback.

A question: Given that the CC is a semi-automatic and clutch engagement is via the ECU (rather than the driver's judgement/slippage) wouldn't this low-mileage, premature wear be covered under warranty?

With a standard transmission, I'd chalk up the clutch replacement to material durability/driver usage (under reasonable mileage, circa 50K mi) and pay the bill as expected.

Ciao,
Nivola

·
Registered
681 Posts
RickBullotta said:
"plus labor" - therein lies the cost...
At $100/hour are you saying it takes them 20 hours to put the clutch in? Just curious because if you guys are getting bad deals tell me what part of the country you're in and I more then likely know somebody at your dealer.

And no clutches are never covered under warranty it's a wear and tear part.

·
Registered
513 Posts
the clutch costs $3800 to replace. Mine was replaced on May 2005, with 17,000 miles on the car, the clutch was worn 100%.

it does seem there is a wide disparaty amoungst the replacement. I scoured the postings here in regards to the cost BEFORE i bought my car, I was sure it would cost $2300,...I was very suprised when i was told by the dealer San Francisco/Mill Valley FM, it was $3800. I even called 4 dealers around here and was able to speak to Beverly Hills FM and they also stated $3700-$4000.

The labor rate here is charged at $135hr, and I do believe the labor hours were 20 hours.

I had a local mechanic look at my car and he said the set-up is very similar to the Porsche Tiptronic, and he could do the repair next time.

I left my 18,000 mile service, $5000 lighter after all is said and done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The alleged similarity to Porsche Tiptronic sounds unlikely to me.
Cambiocorsa is a roboterized manual shift transmission, while Tiptronic is a plain hydraulic auto transmission with buttons to override the auto.

Wäschpi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts