Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has this ever happened to you? out of nowhere one day my GS started to hammer on the brakes, activated by the EBD I believe. this happened when turning left, (tight curve but not at high speed), however no flashing MSP when turning right in a similar curve. could a centrifugal sensor cause this problem? also, does the system provide fault-code readout for this type problem? when turning off the MSP the drive was nice and comfortable again.
when first experienced this, I was "trashing" the car on the "tail of the dragon" www.tailofthedragon.com and of course the MSP would be flashing there, but I noticed a significant difference from left curves to right curves. sunday I drove at 60mph in 6th gear, "not an exactly spirited drive", and it happened again. any comments form the forum?
b.t.w. when bringing this up to ferrari & maserati of atlanta, the answer was: "condition normal for car - having a limited differential - road conditions - steering inputs - speed - shift mode - and individual driving habit, all have an effect on how the system will react to various conditions. during test driving system was working to manufactures specs." to me this is a guarantee that they will always find the system "working to manufactures specs." and I will never be able to prove them wrong!
MSP=ABS+EBD+ASR+MSR: (Maserati Stability Program (controls): Anti-lock Brake System & Electronic Brake-force Distribution & Anti Slip Regulation & Motor Slowdown Restriction) note: ABS is not disengaged when MSP is turned off.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I wish I lived close to something like tail of the dragon. A friend of mine is from GA and makes the ride down on his sport tourer every year, but I haven't had time to head down with him yet. I bet that's an amazing drive in a GS.

Did your dealer hookup the SD3 to check codes, or just drive it and declare it fine? I think most of the sensors will store a code of some sort if they are flaky, but even without a stored code, there are some environmental readings that would be off if you've got a bad sensor. If they did drive it, were you along, or do you know what kind of conditions they drove it in? If the SD3 shows no stored codes, you might want to find a spot where you can replicate the problem consistently (with a passenger in car), and then talk them into sending a tech with you and showing them the problem. They may be able to bring the SD3 with to get a live readout of the sensors as well. (The readout doesn't give a full story, but a good tech should be able to interpret any out of range environments)

·
Registered
286 Posts
what day were you there? Was killboy taking pictures? I am heading there the first weekend of Nov. and was there the last weekend of July. Love it.

In Ga we have a lot of great roads that are only 1 hour away from my house. In the fall i go every other weekend. I need to post my videos.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
has this ever happened to you? out of nowhere one day my GS started to hammer on the brakes, activated by the EBD I believe. this happened when turning left, (tight curve but not at high speed), however no flashing MSP when turning right in a similar curve. could a centrifugal sensor cause this problem? also, does the system provide fault-code readout for this type problem? when turning off the MSP the drive was nice and comfortable again.
when first experienced this, I was "trashing" the car on the "tail of the dragon" www.tailofthedragon.com and of course the MSP would be flashing there, but I noticed a significant difference from left curves to right curves. sunday I drove at 60mph in 6th gear, "not an exactly spirited drive", and it happened again. any comments form the forum?
b.t.w. when bringing this up to ferrari & maserati of atlanta, the answer was: "condition normal for car - having a limited differential - road conditions - steering inputs - speed - shift mode - and individual driving habit, all have an effect on how the system will react to various conditions. during test driving system was working to manufactures specs." to me this is a guarantee that they will always find the system "working to manufactures specs." and I will never be able to prove them wrong!
MSP=ABS+EBD+ASR+MSR: (Maserati Stability Program (controls): Anti-lock Brake System & Electronic Brake-force Distribution & Anti Slip Regulation & Motor Slowdown Restriction) note: ABS is not disengaged when MSP is turned off.
What was the camber of the roads you were on? Did it differ on the lefties and righties? Was there an exposed dropoff on one side? Those kind of differences will change the dynamics of the handling, of course.

Also, did you by any chance replace a single tire at any point? Even slight variations in tire diameter can confuse the MSP system. This can be true even if you replace the fronts and rears at dramatically different times, but would be more pronounced if you replaced a single tire where there had been some measurable wear already. Similarly, if you had a few pounds of air pressure difference between any tire(s), similar oddness might result.

If the tires are all the same age and wear, double check pressures, then go out and run it again. There are also possibly rotational sensors that might be misaligned, dirty, etc. (I'm not sure what Maserati's MSP uses as its input).

Rick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses.

Mark at MoM, yes we have wonderful roads in east TN and northern GA, I hope to meet up with some of you there some day. MoA did not provide me any readout so I can not answer for if they hooked up the SD3. I was not present during, under or after the test drives and truthfully did not even think of asking as there were a number of more relevant issues at hand that day. Unfortunately I did not drive the GS for all of august and almost forgot about the issue until this Sunday. When meeting up again with MoA, I will present them with your recommendations.

Leadfoot, contact me so we can hook up for a drive some day! [email protected]. Yes, killboy takes pictures all the time, but lately the police force has been cracking down on anything moving +2mph. I have posted my killboy pictures about a year ago of my GS. Done the route about 6 times!

Rick, you are right about camber and drop-off's etc. The road I drove were not specifically one way or the other. When the road does have a sharp angle I would expect some input from EBD/MSP etc. but after having done the two day Master Maserati school on Road Atlanta last year, I dare to say I know if it would be expected or not. Lately I am able to predict when EBD/MSP will occur due to entry speed and sharp left turn, whereas in a similar sharp right curve it does not happen. Yes I did have a passenger with me both on the dragon and last Sunday

All tires are new pilot sports ps2, and absolutely sure pressure is fine. Since I drive the car too infrequently, - yes I know it is a sin -, I pre-check everything very carefully like a pilot does before "taking off! Your comment about rotational sensors being out makes sense, thanks for the hint.

Kai

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Hi, Kai.

My mystery MSP light issues went away when I replaced my front tires...go figure. They were about 15,000 miles different wear than the rears at that point, so I'm not surprised, but it was nice to see it go away.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what mystery did you have before changing tires? why would it go-a-way by changing the tire? (I guess that is the mystery !!! )

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
On certain tight turns (repeatedly), the MSP would come on even though there was no wheel slip. Depending on the algorithm and sensors, the worn fronts might "appear" to be spinning faster than the rears because they were a smaller diameter (they actually *would* be spinning faster). This might make the software think the vehicle was plowing through a turn, thus kicking on the MSP. Just a theory.

In any case, replaced the fronts, MSP light hasn't gone off at those same turns since.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what the f----! - this reminds me, it all started after changing to my new tires Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, how can it be? Those tires are brand new and what you just stated above is exactly my experience also! Do anyone else on Michelin tires ever experienced this? Solution must therefore be when I drive spirited, I will have to turn off the MSP, and no that is not good in all situations, especially after my son wrecked a Lotus Elise after 5 days of owning just for that reason of not having MSP = ESP; daren!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Did you change all four or just two? The other question is how the rotating speed is sensed - maybe the wheel re-installation knocked something out of position.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all 4, but different sizes of course as per spec. to me the only change from OEM was going to Michelin - where are the sensors placed? as by changing the tires on the rim not damage could possible have happened!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Mark, I will have this checked ay the next opportunity, unfortunately I am +200 miles from MoA so I guess I will wait a little longer. will of course use all this good stuff to show them. thanks to all for your help!
Kai;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts