Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GS gone QP in it's place UPDATE 2.7K later

Well I made the jump to a 2006 Grigio Palladio/Beige with 19's Front comfort package and rear seat heater, rear parking sensors etc. Well I must be getting old, becuase I love the ride, not as sharp as the GS but 80% of the performance yet a 50% better ride. I think what pushed me over the top was the price the DS QP have come down so much I could not pass on the car. I wanted a sport GT but at 60K for a near perfect car with new tires and brakes plus a tune up with 15K miles it was to good a deal. This makes 3 maserati's in 4 years, I guess I have the bug.

Paul

Well it’s been 2700 miles on the new to me QP and time for an update… the wife and I (funny saying that) spent our honeymoon out in west Marin by the coast. For those who have never been, there are some great driving roads in that part of Cal: lots of nice tight turns through the hills and up and down the coast some mid size sweepers, tight up and down hill hairpins and the lot. Now I have driven these roads in all the Maserati’s I have owned as well as the Cayman S, E55 and so on but after a week of non stop hops up the coast (dinner, beaches, and just for fun) the differences between the GS and the QP stand out. The GS is a much harder edged car as most know and one of the reasons I made the switch as I wanted more comfort in-between my back road driving and I could only have one car. But I must change my performance number to 75% of the GS and 50% better ride. This is not to say the QP was not wonderful, we had some incredible drives and must have added 400+ miles to the car. The sounds and feeling you get driving the car in a true GT style makes it worth every penny. Driving with the windows down (80-90 degrees out) listing to the sound of the car bouncing off the hill side hammering the throttle with a little tire chirp coming out of a turn is magic. Then latter on the same night doing the same thing with some nice tunes, sunroof open, high beams lighting the way car in third with the motor singing along. The Maserati magic in full effect, it’s why you buy an exotic, the head to toe emersion in a car that demands a relationship and gives back in full if you’re wiling to take the journey.

Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BF,

The GS is back to the dealer and on it's way to the Auction if I had to guess. I put 18k on it for a total of 25K. I tend to drive the cars to much :) so I get killed on the trade-in but the guys at Sanfrancisco F&M treat me great it was all most a wash (what I lost on my GS vs the new tires/tuneup/breaks on the QP) I will miss the GS, but I have allways loved the QP. We have already been on three road trips Napa, trip down the coast and one up to a lake over a nice drives road.

Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will Do

But I need to stop driving it so much, but as the dealer loves to point out how much do you realy save not driving it. Roll on trident...

Oh one thing I would like to point out to thoese looking at getting a Maserati. I don't often respond to all the threads because so many others do a much better job then I do but I thought I would add a few comments. When I picked up my QP it was wonderful the car looked great the guys at SFMF were as all ways perfect, they gave my wife a 45 min overview of the car and treated us with the highest respect. But after two hours of owning the car a bubble fromed on the dash air bag cover. Now this would piss me off on any other car but we went on to have a great drive up to clear lake to show the car to my dad and let him hot rod it around the lake. These things that should not happen on a 2yr old 119K car seem common place on a Maserati. Not one of the three cars I have owned did not have something that I said wow that should not be like that, but I keep comming back. Why? because the overall package is what it's all about, the smell of leather, the sound, the drive all comming together. I am all most sure when the price of the QP sport GTS is in my range I will be on to my 4th, but for now drive on trident lovers.

Paul

P

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the 2006 QP, 20,000 miles now, and I can tell you that it is a great car! I love to drive it, it has a classic look and a great power and you can have 4 people riding it without a problem of room in the back.

Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
One small comment is not sufficient trunk space, especially if I have 4 golfers together. But I'm the one driving it and considering the performance and the beautiful shape, love to accept it. It's a great car to me. :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Qp Vs Gs

I Would Like To Know I Have A Qp Sport 06, And An 06 Gs Spyder But I Still Long For A Gs Coupe, The Qp Is Almost Limousine Like Compared To The Spyder, And The Coupes I Heard Are Stiffer Less Comfortable Than The Spyder But With Four Seats For The Kids. I Can't Help It I Want Them All.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GS vs QP

Well for me, the QP is a better car all around with an incredible suspension. I loved both my coupe and GS, the coupe was by far the rawest in its original setup. But the coupe had the worse suspension of the three and the brutal original software (note: to those who still have the original software (2002 only) keep it I never had the car updated and it hit like a sledgehammer to the back). The GS shifted faster then the coupe but was no where near as raw; I would bet the 2002 software is closer to the FD DBW, gas on clutch on. Also the GS was a big improvement over the coupe in the handling department but still too harsh a ride in the SF bay area our roads keep getting more and more chopped up. I just got tired of wincing as each bump came up. I hit some joint in the road and was sure I had ripped up my suspension, luckily not but the shock through the car was too much. I can now drive the same roads in the QP with no problem at all. And I am most likely getting soft as I get older, I don’t do as much hill slamming as I used to and like to enjoy the rest of the journey a bit more. So know in-between my back road adventures things are a bit softer, I give up a bit of handling, but can now take four and LA looks a lot closer.

But if I could have kept both I would have; only one then it had to be the QP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
if i lived in San Fran, i'd ride a scooter ... or hop the trolley. BRUTAL driving conditions ... maybe a Rover? driving in DC was bad enough ... san fran must be impossible for someone who takes pristine care of his car ... :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have an A3 for our get around car and the QP as the second. But we have put 1200m on the car in the first month. We live out by the GG so the hills don't give up much trouble.
It's the freeways and the potholes around town.

Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update in 1st post

bump, updated...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.