Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how Mas gets the two exhaust notes, sport and normal? More to the point, does anyone know how to separate the control of this feature from the other sport functions?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
when you press the sport button, it activates a vacuum line that in turn flips open (or closed, depending on whether sport is on or off) a set of valves in the tips of your exhaust...

Sort of like a throttle I guess.

That gives the amplified sound.

You COULD switch it up... may be a bit expensive thouhg.,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duh... I shoulda bent over and looked.

That's right. Now the trick will be to find the wire(s) that trigger the valve that lets engine vacuum go to those vac motors.

So...does anyone have a wiring diagram for the GS?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Duh... I shoulda bent over and looked.

That's right. Now the trick will be to find the wire(s) that trigger the valve that lets engine vacuum go to those vac motors.

So...does anyone have a wiring diagram for the GS?
Make it simple... only drive in Sport mode :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I want to make the car quieter when driving slowly around town. In sport mode, there's a droning in the car at very low RPMs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
haven't seen the GS version, but on the Ferrari's you just reach up and pull off the rubber hose. You should see a baseball sized container with a small 4mm rummber hose going to it. Probably want to wrap the end of it in duct tape to keep dirt out for when you want to put it back to stock. With the vaccuum hose pulled off, the valve shouldn't open.

Or then again, I could be completely wrong. The Bently Cont. GT has the same type of system and when you pull the hose, the valve stays open all the time. Only one way to find out...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it turns out that the vacuum motors are normally open -- that is, it takes vacuum to close them. So it'll be slightly more involved to do what I want. In the interim, I stuffed pieces of a closed cell foam in the valved tailpipes and that works just fine -- a good seal prevents any exhaust flow and the plugged tips stay cool. :rolleyes:

When I get the valving control worked out, I can sleeve part or all of the perforated core of the controlled mufflers, so as to have a more free flowing -- and louder -- system when the valves are open.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I get the valving control worked out, I can sleeve part or all of the perforated core of the controlled mufflers, so as to have a more free flowing -- and louder -- system when the valves are open.
I have a set of bypass pipes (replaces the rear muffler potion) available if someone is looking to just eliminate the mufflers. Ends in two magnaflow chrome tips on either side (looks about 1" larger overall diameter than stock ones, but otherwise stock looking). Takes all of 10 min to install (removing the old mufflers is the hardest part). PM me an email address and I'll send pics. Sounds is more of your typical V8 than the higher pitched tubi/Ferrari sound at WOT. Most tubi owners told me they preferred mysound over theirs, had to put the Fabspeed mufflers on when I did the cat bypass and X-pipe because it was just too loud as a complete open system.

I've got a sound clip somewhere around here too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts