Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Anyone have the spec. on the wheel alignments?
My GS ate up the front tires in less than 4k miles, but on the inside!
Drive it hard and rear tires are evenly worn, but fronts are not bad, only the first 1" or so are worn badly on the inside shoulder!?

·
Registered
187 Posts
maseratikai said:
:confused: Anyone have the spec. on the wheel alignments?
My GS ate up the front tires in less than 4k miles, but on the inside!
Drive it hard and rear tires are evenly worn, but fronts are not bad, only the first 1" or so are worn badly on the inside shoulder!?[/QUOTE

I don't believe there is a "stock" alignment for these. they are all done with shims and often two of the same cars are different.

Don't go to the dealer, they will kill you with price. you will have to go to a shop that has access to shims for ferrari/masi and all they do is alighnments. should not be more than $180.00 It is a very simple job that the dealer blows WAY out of proportion. I lowered my car 1.5/2 and it took @45 minutes to fully allign it.

Probably just needs a shim in the upper control arm up front or one removed in the lower.

check your tire pressures to

good luck
Robb

·
Registered
26 Posts
Learn from me - go to a dealer!

I had a couple of new tyres on my coupe and asked tyre depot to check the tracking. They showed me that their computer had the full set of settings for the Coupe & I watched them every step of the way.

But when I got it out, it drove badly and the front end felt unstable, constant feeling that I was going to lose control over every bump. It was safe as I did some longish runs but then took it into a dealer for something else but got them to check wheel alignment. They said it was out by a mile - cost me £450 to get it put right and now it drives like a dream!

·
Registered
824 Posts
The stock alignment is quite aggressive, with a lot of negative camber at the front. It will produce great handling, especially at the track, at the expense of front tire wear.

You can reduce the negative camber, however the car won't handle as well. Hard to tell if this is a big issue for a daily driver (depends on your preferences) but personally I'm just living with the tire wear.

One idea is you can "flip" the front tires" to even the wear out a bit. (ie flip each tire on both wheels, and then swap side to side).

·
Registered
528 Posts
mwelliott said:
I had a couple of new tyres on my coupe and asked tyre depot to check the tracking. They showed me that their computer had the full set of settings for the Coupe & I watched them every step of the way.

But when I got it out, it drove badly and the front end felt unstable, constant feeling that I was going to lose control over every bump. It was safe as I did some longish runs but then took it into a dealer for something else but got them to check wheel alignment. They said it was out by a mile - cost me £450 to get it put right and now it drives like a dream!
Alignment is setting: Caster, Camber and Toe in, to a series of specifications.

It would be interesting to note if the tyre depot had the correct specifications, or, they just suck at doing the job correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont flip tires

flipping tires is only possible if they are same left and right, but many high performance tires have an outside and inside and a rotating sense. One needs to check if tires are such, then flipping is not possible - actually would be very dangerous.

had same issue of inner tire wear, in our case the camber was overnegative and the right rear wheel was slightly misaligned. This can happen when one hits a kurb very bad.
may be worth checking wheel alignment every 10,000 miles, should not cost more than 150 to 200$

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yves said:
flipping tires is only possible if they are same left and right, but many high performance tires have an outside and inside and a rotating sense. One needs to check if tires are such, then flipping is not possible - actually would be very dangerous.
They are directional but symmetrical. (same left and right)

·
Registered
3 Posts
camber - toe-in

sorry,
in my previous mail I stated the camber to be too negative, in fact I meant "toe-in". On racing cars, this is positioned with the front of the wheel pointing outward, this gives better cornering, but wears the inner of the tire. On road cars, a compromise is typically set, with a slightly positive toe-in, i.e. the wheel is slightly pointing inward. Best is to use the Maserati suggested values.

On our first car, this was set too much negative, leading to the discussed tire wear. Once adjusted the tire wear disappeared. On our new car, no excessive inner tire wear is noticeable.

But make sure you also check the rear wheels. The alignment can be adjusted in all directions and can sometimes be out of position. You might however feel that by the car not driving absolutely straight (if a wheel is badly misaligned).

·
Registered
432 Posts
GS specific alignment spec?

Does anybody have the factory alignment specs for the GS?

I've searched and searched on the forum but could not find alignment specs specifically for the GS.

There was a thread with Coupe alignment but there was no confirmation if the same applies to GS.

I've also went thru the owner manual 3 times and was not able to find any alignment info...

Any one? Thanks !!

Jess

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just picked up front and rear factory alignment specs from the dealer yesterday. I can PM once I scan tomorrow.

Glenn, I was going to go back to TruLine with the specs to set something right I think got lost the last time the car went in for a tire change. Any experience with them on Maserati alignment? Usually had very good experiences but this is the 3rd time in on this car......:mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pls PM me too, i'm interested in knowing it myself.

I'd like to know the base i will tune it from since there is only 1 dealer in Hungary and is not extremely good.

I use an independent race team to manage everything around the wheel, like alignment, brakes and such.

Thank you for your help.

Attila

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just picked up front and rear factory alignment specs from the dealer yesterday. I can PM once I scan tomorrow.

Glenn, I was going to go back to TruLine with the specs to set something right I think got lost the last time the car went in for a tire change. Any experience with them on Maserati alignment? Usually had very good experiences but this is the 3rd time in on this car......:mad:
Sorry, no experience with them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have unusual wear on the inside of front tires as well, at only 6,000 miles. Would like to get a good set of specs before I replace the tires.

Eric

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
With the standard alignment....

You are lucky to not wear the tires out, both front and back, within 7500 to 10000 miles....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks Alfa_Tiv!

Mine too, severe inside most edge wear while the rest look fine with few more mms before wear mark (at 7000 miles). Thus I wanted to understand about factory setup and where to go from there.

Thanks! :)

jess

1 - 15 of 15 Posts