Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, anyone have any experience with Grundy's exotic car insurance? I was refered this by somebody, my current insurance in NY state costs me $4500/yr for full coverage on my gransport, they wouldn't even barely insure me!!!!
My quotation for Grundy, at www.grundys.com was about $800 to insure the value of my gransport, which I est. at $60K - I need full coverage to comply with that fact that I am financing my car, and I was wondering if Grundys is legitimate, and if anyone has any experience with them?? Any information would help out, thank you all in advance!!! :cool:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, I use Grundy to insure my Lamborghini Jalpa, as well as my old 1980 Maserati 4Porte. However, I do have my 2002 Maserati GT Coupe insured through State Farm.

Anyhow, my 1980 4Porte was insured with Grundy back in 2005 when the car caught on fire at a service garage after a fuel line broke and sprayed gas all over the engine. The Grundy rep came out within 2 days, totaled the car and paid me the full value I had insured the car for. All done in about 5 days. :D In fact, I even opted for the option where I could buy the car back from them for "salvage value" and get a check for the balance. 6 months later I had the car completely restored in time for our Italian Concours. Here is how nice it looked.

Another good "collector" car insurer is Hagerty. I've no first hand experience with them, but I know folks who swear by them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi All, anyone have any experience with Grundy's exotic car insurance? I was refered this by somebody, my current insurance in NY state costs me $4500/yr for full coverage on my gransport, they wouldn't even barely insure me!!!!
My quotation for Grundy, at www.grundys.com was about $800 to insure the value of my gransport, which I est. at $60K - I need full coverage to comply with that fact that I am financing my car, and I was wondering if Grundys is legitimate, and if anyone has any experience with them?? Any information would help out, thank you all in advance!!! :cool:
$4500!?!?! Im paying State Farm a 1/3 on my GT-S. You have bad driving history?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have Grundy, but no claims experience (not yet, at least) with them. Been happy so far. The biggest difference is, of course, that you can't use the car as a daily driver with Grundy - the usage is more limited (although they don't limit mileage, as some collector insurance does).

·
Registered
778 Posts
go with Hagerty. They allow "pleasure driving". Your quote depends on how much you value the car and how many miles you plan on driving it. I have them for my Lexus and will get more coverge once my QP is obtained. Hagerty's service is outstanding, all thier customer service reps are very nice and knowledgable. I am very happy with thier service and price.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sate Farm... It's legit but is it cheap???

Maserati, BMW and Tundra with state farm (full coverage + 1M liability on all cars) $$2800/yr. I WAS getting ready to shop :cool:

·
Registered
224 Posts
One big difference between Hagerty/Grundy etc. and State Farm/Allstate/Geico and the like is that collector insurance is usually defined value - i.e. you put a value on the car (within reason) and they insure it for that value, so if it is a total loss, that's what you get. State Farm/Allstate/etc. usually will only pay what they believe the market value of the car is - which may be very different than what you believe it is, especially with a collector's car. This may or may not make a big difference with a fairly new car, but if you have an antique, I promise you that your standard insurance company will not value that 80s Porsche (just to give one personal example) what you think it is actually worth.

I know that my insurance was fairly low with Geico, but switching to Grundy still cut it in half (on the two cars I switched over).

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use Grundy to insure my Maserati and Jaguar. I have 2 Saturns and 1 Honda as my (and wife's) daily drivers, these are insured by Mercury Insurance (California).

I have no driving restrictions placed on me by Grundy, with the exception that I can't use the cars as daily drivers to commute to work. (That is why I have two primary cars for my wife and I, and our spare)

Very pleased with Grundy, and my arrangement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can do an agreed value policy through Geico, however it's very expensive. I would recommend hagerty. I personally did not qualify for Hagerty because of a non-moving violation which i received two years back. However that was for the company's "tuner" insurance. I have a 91 Vw with an extensive list of modifications, and hagerty, at that point, was the only company that would insure my car for an agreed value.

I believe that they are more flexible with their exotic car policies. Great people to deal with and very reasonable pricing!

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can do an agreed value policy through Geico, however it's very expensive. I would recommend hagerty. I personally did not qualify for Hagerty because of a non-moving violation which i received two years back. However that was for the company's "tuner" insurance. I have a 91 Vw with an extensive list of modifications, and hagerty, at that point, was the only company that would insure my car for an agreed value.

I believe that they are more flexible with their exotic car policies. Great people to deal with and very reasonable pricing!
You don't belong in these forums! ahahahhahaha

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New York Insurance Costs An Arm And A Leg!!

Guys, I live in new york city area, where insurance is the hightest I belive in the country!!!! All the frking russian mafia insurance scams, from paying everyone to fake accidents to take advantage of new yorks "No Fault" insurance policy, meaning if you get in an accident, both parties get screwed regardless whos fault it is!!! You just get screwed slightly more if you are at fault is what they should say!!!! I know guys who collected money just sit and be passengers in a staged accident for example - Crazy stuff that screwed the new york insurance rates for years! Scum bags pulling scams for some serious money. I hate that part about this city, the roads suck terribly, and the insurance is sky high. My driving record isn't perfect, (I have some speeds) obviously - but they screw everyone here, you almost pay as much to finance your car as you do for insurance. I do have 2 other cars, as daily drivers for me and my wife, the 2008 sport gts quattroporte - , and a Porsche cayenne she uses for the kids. The gransport wouldn't be a daily driver, and mr.jalga lambo - those are great pics! I'm not worried about additional value, just want to insure what its worth, and get paid what its worth in worth case scenario, thats it. I'm going with grundy's, thanks guys! I was just worried, they would try to ignore me if god forbid anything happened, I don't want it to turn out to be some no-name fake type insurance coverage!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your advice and experience!

I use Grundy to insure my Maserati and Jaguar. I have 2 Saturns and 1 Honda as my (and wife's) daily drivers, these are insured by Mercury Insurance (California).

I have no driving restrictions placed on me by Grundy, with the exception that I can't use the cars as daily drivers to commute to work. (That is why I have two primary cars for my wife and I, and our spare)

Very pleased with Grundy, and my arrangement.
Eurodino, thanks for your advice, and experience pal!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts