Maserati Forum banner

241 - 260 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where is that screen? We seem to have 2 different operating systems.
I never saw that screen
Mine launches zlink and that launches carplay

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone ever just give up on the iphone and consider an external wifi device?
I wonder about a MiFi 8000 Mobile Hotspot

·
Registered
255 Posts
Where is that screen? We seem to have 2 different operating systems.
I never saw that screen
Mine launches zlink and that launches carplay
Ok so if zlink came with the unit then its the default hotspot connection app. It looks like it launches carplay but you have carplay configured to launch when you plug it into the usb. Remember you have car play options on your phone too. Is your ios up to date?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Anyone ever just give up on the iphone and consider an external wifi device?
I wonder about a MiFi 8000 Mobile Hotspot
I’m not seeing the problem with just using the iPhone hotspot (no USB). All I use is Gmap and Pandora which is available on the unit. My phone is set to “Do not disturb while driving”, unlimited plan...why won’t that work?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
So seems my best bet is use carplay. I think Robin should tell iphone users that. I am a loyal iphone user and not giving it up. Guess I could buy a cheap android device and get a plan. But that seems silly. Will just use carplay. it is fine. I really just want the waze and backup camera. The music is not needed as I like listening to the motor growl!
I think you are one of the very few iphone users having problems, Everyone who I have talked to using Apple CarPlay have not had any issues and working quite well. Most iphone users bought this just because it has Apple CarPlay and don't care about the Android part of it. Brand new Mecedes have Apple CarPlay and you have to plug it in using your usb, No wireless available. I just don't see why it is so complicated, I plugged an iphone it and it worked..... and it was just an old iphone laying around that was not even activated. Plug iphone in, open Zlink and done. WiFi hotspot works fine for most users too....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Robin, It works great for carplay, no issue there at all.
My issue is it won't work good with the android part which has better sound.
So basically everytime I get in car, I have to plug in phone and use carplay.
It's fine for me. Just saying that if people want the better sounds and android apps, then a iphone hotspot is weak and does not work well bc it won't go over USB

·
Registered
162 Posts
I’m not seeing the problem with just using the iPhone hotspot (no USB). All I use is Gmap and Pandora which is available on the unit. My phone is set to “Do not disturb while driving”, unlimited plan...why won’t that work?
How do you get it to connect to the hotspot and stay connected?
Mine connects and drops.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok so if zlink came with the unit then its the default hotspot connection app. It looks like it launches carplay but you have carplay configured to launch when you plug it into the usb. Remember you have car play options on your phone too. Is your ios up to date?
IOS is up to date!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine connects and drops.
Knowing that the unit has a screw in wifi antenna, im gonna say that it might not be tight combined with it being less than an inch in size. It does connect so everything works.

after you connect your hotspot to the unit, set your iphone on the dash below the mirror and see how long the connection stays... If it stays connected longer... thats the issue.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine connects and drops.
Try this too..

if you can see your home wifi in the list, connect your unit to it and see how long the connection last. I have my home wifi saved as well so I can run the unit without using my data plan.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
I think you are one of the very few iphone users having problems, Everyone who I have talked to using Apple CarPlay have not had any issues and working quite well. Most iphone users bought this just because it has Apple CarPlay and don't care about the Android part of it. Brand new Mecedes have Apple CarPlay and you have to plug it in using your usb, No wireless available. I just don't see why it is so complicated, I plugged an iphone it and it worked..... and it was just an old iphone laying around that was not even activated. Plug iphone in, open Zlink and done. WiFi hotspot works fine for most users too....
I agree. I haven't had any issues with using my iPhone. As soon as I plug in my phone to USB, Zlink automatically opens CarPlay and I'm good to go. I've also installed the SiriusXM app on both my phone and the Andrind unit and both work perfectly. My WiFi hotspot works perfectly as well.

Reactions: I_gotta_GTS

·
Registered
163 Posts
2) If you have a iphone, forget about using this as designed. First, it doesn't stay connected to hotspot. Mine keeps dropping the hotspot, and that makes the music useless, since you need wifi to drive it.

3) Carplay works really good. Set up zlink and on mine zlink loads as soon as i get in car, then I plug in phone and bam, I have carplay with all the features. No need for wifi. No need to load other apps or launchers. Yes, the sound is not as good as playing under android, but to be honest its not horrendous and is alot easier than using android.

4) The unit is flaky. I get the radio playing through in the background, even though radio is not loaded and not on.

5) Volume on the unit is not great. 0 to 1 is like a 0 to 10 jump. So there is no like quiet music mode, it is off or loud. But again, in carplay you have better range.

6) I am sure there are things I can do to make it work better, but after my carwebguru experience I am going to use carplay until someone else figures it all out.

7) Finally, I am not sure if it is the unit or me. But this morning my battery was dead. Now I did play with the unit alot yesterday in accessory mode, so I may of killed it. It is on trickle charger and I see flaky things like door locks not working but back now. Lock symbol on screen. So I hope it comes back and it was not the unit that killed it.

I agree with Wifi. I have experienced flakiness on connections but I noticed it seems dependent from my phone versus my wifes. Also if im in my garage, the car will grab my homes wifi AP, which is normal. but then the handoff to driving down road and turning on my hotspot on my Iphone is clunky and a pain. Sometimes works, sometime doesn't. But Once I'm connected, I can drive hours no problem. Its the hand off and initial connections that are cumbersome.

I have actually resorted to just using Bluetooth audio from my Iphone and use the Spotify app on the phone. Sounds fine IMO.

I agree with the Volume jumps. More prominent on Radio tuner. Which I avoid.

I honestly havent had time to dig in and learn this as work has been kicking my @ss.

Either way, it is 100 times better than the stock garbage. lol

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Not trying to start trouble here because i know how strong that 'Apple Juice' can be!!! LOL
And this is kinda 'not to the point' but
I use both equally as much, (11 Pro Max and Note10+). So i have no brand loyalty, hell they both share parts anyway. Could be made by the same company for all we know! Business 101, you drive more product when you have a competitor, an adversary so to speak. I have long though that Apple and Samsung are made from one creator and we the public have been getting 'duped' for years :unsure:
Maybe it lies in how individuals process info but i find the Android platform far easier to navigate and to multitask. Now excuse me while i slip into my flame retardant suit :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Robin, do you have a pic of the back of the unit so folks can see how small the copper or brass antenna is?

I agree as an iphone user that waiting for it to see and select my hotspot is 15 secs too long but electronically speaking, the wifi antenna on the iphone isnt much stronger but we don’t notice because it auto connects.

I would recommend anyone who is about to install this unit to install a longer wifi antenna so it can face the center console behind the dash. Its small and deep in the dash Behind the unit. Thats why when you hold your phone down by the keys it connects faster... Poor line of sight antenna...

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Easy Connection is loaded on our head unit too, mirror your iphone or android, If someone wants to experiment.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Robin, do you have a pic of the back of the unit so folks can see how small the copper or brass antenna is?

I agree as an iphone user that waiting for it to see and select my hotspot is 15 secs too long but electronically speaking, the wifi antenna on the iphone isnt much stronger but we don’t notice because it auto connects.

I would recommend anyone who is about to install this unit to install a longer wifi antenna so it can face the center console behind the dash. Its small and deep in the dash Behind the unit. Thats why when you hold your phone down by the keys it connects faster... Poor line of sight antenna...
Just in my intall video at 11:33 mark

·
Registered
162 Posts
So Eric told me to change the name of my Iphone since it had special characters.
That was not it.
What is odd is it sees my iphone and says it has full strength but when it connects to it, it connects then goes to saved status. If I click it when it says saved I see a message that says out of range.
Car connects fine in the garage to my Home Internet, so it picks that up, but not the iphone!
I wish it would work with the USB, that would make it so easy! Has to be a device to convert Iphone to Android USB for tether!

On a different note, anyone have this installed in a convertible like i do?
With top down, the sun makes it impossible to see the screen.
In fact other day, sun ht the screen and it reflected and nearly blinded me!
It is like a giant mirror! Was thinking maybe some anti glare cover for the screen may help!

·
Registered
255 Posts
So Eric told me to change the name of my Iphone since it had special characters.
That was not it.
What is odd is it sees my iphone and says it has full strength but when it connects to it, it connects then goes to saved status. If I click it when it says saved I see a message that says out of range.
Car connects fine in the garage to my Home Internet, so it picks that up, but not the iphone!
I wish it would work with the USB, that would make it so easy! Has to be a device to convert Iphone to Android USB for tether!

On a different note, anyone have this installed in a convertible like i do?
With top down, the sun makes it impossible to see the screen.
In fact other day, sun ht the screen and it reflected and nearly blinded me!
It is like a giant mirror! Was thinking maybe some anti glare cover for the screen may help!
I did the research, no iphone usb to Android for wifi pass thru. Try this... on iphone settings where you select roaming, voice and data, switch it to all data and not data/voice. So its not the antenna on the unit. Thats good. You can also clear the data cache in settings/wifi/. That forces a new handshake.

241 - 260 of 275 Posts