Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer is soliciting me on GT S.

I read a couple of threads on GT S from this board and reviews elsewhere.

Am I reading wrong or is GT S now yielding performance off the line that just equals my 2004 CC?

As for the improved shift times, and whether the the high revs to achieve them make sense: 1) The CC shifts blazingly fast when you want it too, i.e. when you push it hard and really that is true either in normal or sport mode, although it is faster in sport mode. I am not counting the milliseconds. 2) The same shift speed all the time does not make sense to me, e.g. low speed traffic vs high speed passing situation. That would hold for GT S as well.

The good news on my CC is that it got better over time. The nagging thing at the outset was the "check engine" light and I asked them to disconnect it which they refused to do. But that issue has gone away three years ago and so far not returned. What I did learn was to ignore it since other instruments were always OK and it usually cleared itself anyway.

The F1 pump failed and was replaced under warranty and they went ahead with the clutch to boot. I guess the next time I am out a few thousand but how does that compare with the cost to "trade up" to the GT S?

So why would I "trade up?"

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I was seriously considering a GT S (up from my GS) and paid a deposit but had to cancel it for personal reasons.

I wanted to upgrade because although the GT S may not be faster off the line and it is a car almost 300kg heavier than my GS, the car is hugely refined, with a better transmission, great sound, fantastic interiors. Not to forget the "to die for" looks :cool:

All in all, it is probably a much easier car to live with, offers lots of scope for improving performance (that engine must be capable of reaching 500hp) and has all the latest technology, much more "sorted" than in the Coupe/GS.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The difference between your car and the GT-S is probably around $90K. In terms of performance, you can make your car a lot better than the GT-S with 20% of that amount.

I also think that the GT-S looks awesome, but definitely not $90K nicer than my GS! Actually, after I invest around $10K in Formula Dynamics improvements for my car it will be hard to find a worth replacement for it. I'm looking forward to that day! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
It is getting more difficult to find cars that are lightweight, so given the 300 kg advantage of the GS, that would be my choice. I also prefer the earlier car's looks. Although it sounds like the GT-S is a much more current car, technology and development wise.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I love my GS, but sitting inside the GT S is a much better experience. Supposedly, the GT S drives better than the GS and is faster on the twisties, despite the extra weight.

If I manage to buy another Maserati in the future, I'd happily trade in the GS for the GT S.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
well, it is also 5 model years younger than your 04.

if you want the newest maserati then this is it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
It is getting more difficult to find cars that are lightweight, so given the 300 kg advantage of the GS, that would be my choice. I also prefer the earlier car's looks. Although it sounds like the GT-S is a much more current car, technology and development wise.
Agreed - also the GT(& S) does have a more refined interior than the coupe/GS.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So why would I "trade up?"
At the risk of getting flamed, and please do realize this is just my opinion and I mean no offense but...

These cars are not even comparable. Taking $ out of the conversation, since it is really specific to your situation, I do not see buying a Maserati as a good move for someone who is truly interested in performance. There are a lot of better options in the same price range. Whats left is a good mix between performance and looks. The Cambios never get a second look from most people I know including myself, we pretty much had forgotten about Maserati. When the QP arrived, it sparked our interest. When the GT and now GT S arrived, we were blown away, and am now anxiously awaiting my GT S.

The GT (S) simply looks amazing. I had seen it in pictures, but when I saw one driving in downtown Chicago, I was blown away. I had been considering a Gallardo or CL63, but the GT S took the cake.

If you are looking at performance, I think you are looking at the wrong thing with these cars. If you are looking for one of the best looking cars on the street, then theres no question, TRADE THAT CAMBIO IN!

Or on second thought, keep the Cambio, so theres one less GT S for me to compete with on the streets of Chicago :D

Again, apologies to any CC owners, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
adam,

if you want to "get looks", you should buy the gallardo. not sure what you mean when you imply that maseratis are not performance cars? you're also right that you are risking getting flamed badly here ... but it won't be by me. i love the fact that i don't get the looks that someone may get in an F430 - not looking for validation from others.

·
Registered
402 Posts
adam,

if you want to "get looks", you should buy the gallardo. not sure what you mean when you imply that maseratis are not performance cars? you're also right that you are risking getting flamed badly here ... but it won't be by me. i love the fact that i don't get the looks that someone may get in an F430 - not looking for validation from others.
There were other reasons for not buying the Gallardo, I like the idea of a back seat, and better warranty options for starters.

A Maserati performs well, but if you are looking for the most performance bang for your buck at that price point, a Porsche or even the GT-R is a much better option. Excluding the MC12 and true Maser race cars.

I said nothing about myself being concerend about looks from other people, I just hang around with a tight niche of car enthusiasts, and know we all have the same opinion on this. It was when I saw the GT with my own eyes, that I decided to buy it. I dont really care what other people think, I care what I think, I didnt wait for someone to tell me the GT looked awesome :cool:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well I agree with part of what you said...

I agree the new GT is beautiful... But I don't agree with your comments about performance... With the mods from Formula Dynamics, sport springs, brake pads, SS brake lines, the ECU upgrade and the DBW, the CC is a killer in the performance area. In fact with those mods I have seen a 2002 coupe keep up with cars costing 4 times as much and actually beating those same cars on the track given a good driver. Many owners here have raced their coupe's after those upgrades and they are steller to the point that there are youtube videos of coupe's eating the new BMW M3 on an actual race track..

A good used 2002 Maserati coupe can be had for 35k, put 8k in mods in it and there are very few porsches that can hang with it.. Don't believe me, ask Jeff from Formula Dynamics as he has humiliated many other car owners with a modified Maserati.

As for the GT-R, well it's quick, but the new ZR-1 vette smashed it's record on the ring and will blow it's doors off in a straight line and in the corners. Top of the line porsches can almost hang with the new ZR-1 but cost much, much, more.

If you want more than that, go for the F430 Scuderia.

·
Registered
402 Posts
But I don't agree with your comments about performance...
OK...I agree you can modify an endless combination of older cars to be as fast, if not faster than the latest and greatest, but, if you are a TRUE performance person, you are going to start with the best base you have available, and I dont see that being a Maser. Im sure I can take a VW Beetle, throw a turbine engine in it, and it will beat a Veyron. I didnt see any Masers at the recent Tuner Grand Prix in Hockenheim either ;)

Im not a performance guy, I like the middle ground of performance, styling and quality. The CL63 is really the ideal car for me, and it performs better then the GT S, at about the same price, that is my point in regards to my performance comments. The CL MAY also be more reliable then the Maser, but I love the GT styling, so Im willing to make some sacrifices to get the perfect mix.

They should call the Scuderia the Scud Missile...that thing is sick!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Scud is sick?

So at 5.4 pounds per horsepower, same as the new supercharged ZR-1 vette, which is the lowest weight per horsepower in a production car, why is it sick? Just the looks?? It might be ugly to some, but it's strictly there for speed and performance..

·
Registered
824 Posts
At the risk of getting flamed, and please do realize this is just my opinion and I mean no offense but...

These cars are not even comparable. Taking $ out of the conversation, since it is really specific to your situation, I do not see buying a Maserati as a good move for someone who is truly interested in performance. There are a lot of better options in the same price range. Whats left is a good mix between performance and looks. The Cambios never get a second look from most people I know including myself, we pretty much had forgotten about Maserati. When the QP arrived, it sparked our interest. When the GT and now GT S arrived, we were blown away, and am now anxiously awaiting my GT S.

The GT (S) simply looks amazing. I had seen it in pictures, but when I saw one driving in downtown Chicago, I was blown away. I had been considering a Gallardo or CL63, but the GT S took the cake.

If you are looking at performance, I think you are looking at the wrong thing with these cars. If you are looking for one of the best looking cars on the street, then theres no question, TRADE THAT CAMBIO IN!

Or on second thought, keep the Cambio, so theres one less GT S for me to compete with on the streets of Chicago :D

Again, apologies to any CC owners, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

By Cambio you mean prior coupe/spyder platform? The GT-S essentially uses a "cambiocorsa gearbox" (aka F1), even though it is the MC Shift version.

I do prefer the looks of the 2005-2006 coupe/GS.

What other "unique" performance car options are in the price range? Every second person here drives a Porsche of some kind. Ferraris are more expensive. The 6 series BMW is heavy and ugly.

Help me out here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What other "unique" performance car options are in the price range? Every second person here drives a Porsche of some kind. Ferraris are more expensive. The 6 series BMW is heavy and ugly.

Help me out here.
CLK63 Black...its not just another Benz. its 135k and will out perform the GT S. SL Black on the way too.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks & Performance

I attached some photos of CC and GT S. I think the GT S is an appealing design - it looks like a cross between a Ferrari and a Maserati, possibly reflecting the fact that Pinnafarina only recently was allowed to deisgn for Maserati following the Maserati-Ferrari alliance. I was lead to understand that in earlier years Ferrari had required Pinnafarina swear off Maserati work. But I agree with Adam that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; unlike Adam I feel the CC is exceptional. I did not find the GS to be an improvement over the CC either, not to say that I feel the GS is not attractive.

On the performance side, I just can't help but feel that the car really hasn't improved - 50 more HP and same straight line acceleration. Then when you go to Maser web site they tout "Optional Sky-hook," an option I have, 47/53 weight distribution, same as CC, and when you read about the "new" transmission in detail it seems very evolutionary. If it shifts so much faster then why doesn't it go faster?

This is not to say that the GT S is not a great car. The real testament to the value proposition of the Maser for me is that my 2004 CC stands up so well against what is out there today.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
CLK63 Black...its not just another Benz. its 135k and will out perform the GT S. SL Black on the way too.
I had a look at a CL55 - totally unappealing. Sterile interior, I felt like I was in either a doctor's or hairdresser's car. (with apologies to doctors, hairdressers and Clarkson)
I have yet to see a Mercedes on the road that I am remotely interested in and the reliability stories I hear from other owners here at work make the Maser sound like a Toyota.

Next.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I attached some photos of CC and GT S. I think the GT S is an appealing design - it looks like a cross between a Ferrari and a Maserati, possibly reflecting the fact that Pinnafarina only recently was allowed to deisgn for Maserati following the Maserati-Ferrari alliance. I was lead to understand that in earlier years Ferrari had required Pinnafarina swear off Maserati work. But I agree with Adam that beauty is in the eye of the beholder; unlike Adam I feel the CC is exceptional. I did not find the GS to be an improvement over the CC either, not to say that I feel the GS is not attractive.

On the performance side, I just can't help but feel that the car really hasn't improved - 50 more HP and same straight line acceleration. Then when you go to Maser web site they tout "Optional Sky-hook," an option I have, 47/53 weight distribution, same as CC, and when you read about the "new" transmission in detail it seems very evolutionary. If it shifts so much faster then why doesn't it go faster?

This is not to say that the GT S is not a great car. The real testament to the value proposition of the Maser for me is that my 2004 CC stands up so well against what is out there today.
BTW the 2nd photo (nettuno blue) from Wikipedia is my actual car (!!) and it took me a minute to realize it (I was like, wow that looks great). And you're comparing two studio shots with two private photos.

I've seen the GT in person and from the front I like it, not so crazy about the rear.

Shifting speed is not going to equate to outright performance so much --- the real benefit is in managing weight transfer in corners (IMHO).

So, let me try again - I want a 2dr GT with performance >= the Maserati, decent looks, and willing to spend $100k or so.

A: There isn't much out there. The GT-S is barely in the consideration set, due mainly to price and power/weight.

I keep looking at the BMW 6 series (the 5 series we own has really opened my eyes about how well engineered they are and how well they drive) but they are ugly as sin.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I had a look at a CL55 - totally unappealing. Sterile interior, I felt like I was in either a doctor's or hairdresser's car. (with apologies to doctors, hairdressers and Clarkson)
I have yet to see a Mercedes on the road that I am remotely interested in and the reliability stories I hear from other owners here at work make the Maser sound like a Toyota.

Next.
I agree on the CL55 100%, but the current CL63 (new body and engine) deserves another look. The CL55 is no compare to the CLK63 Black Series either. Ive owned Mercedes the last 6 years, including an AMG, and they have been just about problem free. No more then the Lexus' Ive owned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.