Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has a USB and AUX socket in the glovebox but it seems that Maserati fit two types of USB socket - one that only recharges/powers an external device but does not allow data exchange, and one that is described as a full USB socket that allows data exchange and allows the media player to interface with the MP3 player. With this full socket you can download all the tracks on your Ipod/MP3 player to the jukebox or control the Ipod via the media centre screen. My car unfortunately has the recharge socket only (typical!) and I've no idea why Maserati have the two different types of socket. My dealer was also perplexed by this and is going to call someone in Maserati GB's technical dept for advice on whether the full socket can be retrofitted. I just wondered if anyone on here has encountered this problem and got a fix? I'm hoping it may be something as simple as fitting a new socket and reflashing the software on the media centre.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My car was one of the first to come through with the USB socket and like yours works as a charger only.

My dealer mentioned a month or so ago that he thinks a software update for the multimedia system is coming that will then enable our units to be upgraded to full ipod control? Whether he was just hoping it would i don't know, worth mentioning though next time you speak to your dealer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mentioned software flashing as a possible fix to my dealer yesterday and it's one of the things he's asking the technical manager at Maserati GB today. I'm pretty sure this is all that should be required (along with a new socket as it may require additional pins) as I'd find it hard to believe the media unit has two versions from a pure cost point of view.

My car was an April build and has nothing in the handbook about the USB or AUX sockets. I went to the dealer on Saturday and he got the handbooks out of several new cars to see if he could find anything on it. The only car which had a revised handbook was a new S so he photocopied the relevant sections and gave me a copy. It's very frustrating to know that the full version is so much superior in terms of usability. I still don't get why someone at the factory thought two different types of socket would be a good idea :mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
As far as i understood, the necessary hardware is all there including the necessary pin connections, it just a working software for the the multimedia. Anyway, i look forward to your response for Maserati GB!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Surprise, surprise. I didn't get an answer today :mad: I'll keep the pressure on though as I'm negotiating on the purchase of a 430 Scuderia so will keep the dealer's mind focussed on sorting my Maserati issue as part of the deal.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've suddenly lost any pity for you...

;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
A diff head unit is needed for the full-usb to function.

Push your dealer to get Maserati to change and pick up the tab as its clearly a lack of communication on their end.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unholy Tident is correct. Got a definitive answer yesterday that a complete new multi media unit is required and the estimated cost of supplying and installing it was £4k :mad: I've decided that using the AUX port and controlling tracks through the ipod itself is the way to go :D

The reason offered for the recharge only socket was that when the car was planned 5 years ago no-one had anticipated the speed of technology change in respect of MP3 players. Thus the earliest cars have no USB connectivity, cars from 6 months or so into production have the USB recharge and AUX socket option and current production now gets the option of full USB connectivity after the media system supplier altered the design of their units.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great, now my order is like a box of chocolates...dont know what im going to get :confused:

Are there any exact details, i.e. Cars built after September 2008 will have the fully integrated iPod functionality?

Ill have to sit even more anxious now to see which version my car shows up with...:mad:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
adam76,

I think you should be safe in assuming your car will have the full USB socket which both recharges and allows you to control the ipod through the media centre screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts