Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
348 Posts
I've been lurking this board for awhile as I left the Maserati brand with my GranSport a few years ago to jump into a Gallardo SE. Now I'm driving a CLK63 AMG Black Series and have an itch to add a GranTurismo S to the stable. I've too heard that this will be a 1-year run so not to interfere with sales of the new Ferrari California coming out. Typical case of Ferrari pulling their weight over Maserati.

I brought this up on FerrariChat and didn't get too much of a response, so I'll bring it up here, have you heard that the 100 millisecond MC-Shift (essentially the Ferrari 599 SuperFast gearbox) only occurs at 5500rpm and 80% throttle, so essentially if you're not ripping on it, the gear change time is slow like always. The slow shift CC always irked me on the GranSport and when I finally heard the rumor that this car was getting the 599 gearbox and more power it got the juices goin, but like always, Ferrari ownership always has and always will holds Maserati back. I highly doubt that the Ferrari 599 requires 5500 rpms or 80% throttle to get a 100 millisecond shift. I know the GranTurismo S wasn't designed to be an all out sports car from the beginning like a 599, but its a little bit of a let down for me. I'm very interested still in this car, but unlike my GranSport, I'm not going to buy one until I can test drive it first.

· Registered
348 Posts
From the July Car & Driver in HK, they went to Modena to testdrive the GT-S, there are few points highlighted and may be of your interest:
- 4.7L engine with 440hp, modified Dualselect trans but renamed as Electro-Actuated Transmission, factory claimed 0-100Km in 4.9 seconds;
- Skyhook as option;
- With 20 ins. wheels;
- Suggested price HK$1,788,000 (US$228,000.00);
- The new MC-shift is amazing, but can only be used under the Sport Mode, and it has to be over 5,500 rpm, then the MC-shift comes in and the shift time is shortened to only 0.10 second, faster than the F430, same as F599 and only behind the F430 Scuderia (0.06 second), the gear swifts are quite smooth in general;
- Under the Sport mode, it sounds very much like a Ferrari but even louder ;);
- It is built to be a luxury GT, even with lots of power but also quite heavy in weight and cannot have direct comparison with GranSport especially running those winding road;
The seats are too firm and flat, not too comfortable in long journey and while it was a demo car, they felt it has to be fine tune again to eliminate those bump steer before actual delivery.

Hope these can give more information for whoever being the potential owner.
Everything sounded great until its mentioned that it may not be comparable on the twisties to the GranSport.

· Registered
348 Posts
See link below for what the new GT S can do on the track ;)

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4324
Thanks for that, I missed that thread on this board. Naturally this is good news to hear. Its a similar story to when they tested the Quattroporte and it beat the V10 BMW M5 on the track being down 100 hp. As I mentioned before, for me, its solely about the "S" being not a let down from my current CLK63 AMG Black Series. My car although considered a heavy pig too feels incredibly light on its feet and equally important its an absolute blast to drive, if the "S" can come close to that I'm sold. I can't wait for a test drive!!!

· Registered
348 Posts
All the cars over the years I passed on that I've regret not buying have always been Italian. The cars I most regret selling in my life are all Italian. I currently own a Black Series AMG that is probably the most exciting, true drivers car that Benz has ever made, has been given tons of praise and yet I'm considering letting it go months after I purchased it to buy a lesser powered GranTurismo S. Some might think its a dumb decision, but it all comes down to the GranTurismo S gets my mojo going. Its like being a single guy and having a chance to score with a supermodel and passing it up for ol' reliable Helga. If you buy the Granturismo, you'll finally know what its all about and heck if you don't like it, sell it, but you won't go on for years wishing you should have bought it when you bought the BMW or Benz instead. Whatever you decide to buy, BMW M6, Benz AMG or Maserati, honestly, you really can't go wrong, they all have their pluses and minusus, you just ran across some current and former owners that know how great Maserati ownership can be. Thats my positive spin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.