Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread for those that have ordered or thinking about ordering the Granturismo S, because with any new car, there appears to be different information depending on who you talk to, what different dealers are saying, etc, until the factory gives more concrete info. So here's what I've heard:
1) there will only be 250 or 300 coming to the US and this is a 1-year production run.
2) my dealer said they will get 4-5 this calendar year, so my being #7 should result in a 1Q09 delivery.
3) XM satellite will be offered in MY09, but maybe not at first. ipod adapter and bluetooth will be available.
4) my dealer doesn't know anything about options or pricing (other than base price).
5) skyhook will be available, but hard to tell the pros/cons and if it would cost extra.

the other things that i am most eager to hear about from either owners or car reviewers is how the S compares to the base GT in speed and handling, opinions on Skyhook vs. fixed stiffer suspension that is standard on S, seat comfort, and reliability of the new engine (which I guess nobody will know until after these have been out for a little while).

What are others hearing?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've been lurking this board for awhile as I left the Maserati brand with my GranSport a few years ago to jump into a Gallardo SE. Now I'm driving a CLK63 AMG Black Series and have an itch to add a GranTurismo S to the stable. I've too heard that this will be a 1-year run so not to interfere with sales of the new Ferrari California coming out. Typical case of Ferrari pulling their weight over Maserati.

I brought this up on FerrariChat and didn't get too much of a response, so I'll bring it up here, have you heard that the 100 millisecond MC-Shift (essentially the Ferrari 599 SuperFast gearbox) only occurs at 5500rpm and 80% throttle, so essentially if you're not ripping on it, the gear change time is slow like always. The slow shift CC always irked me on the GranSport and when I finally heard the rumor that this car was getting the 599 gearbox and more power it got the juices goin, but like always, Ferrari ownership always has and always will holds Maserati back. I highly doubt that the Ferrari 599 requires 5500 rpms or 80% throttle to get a 100 millisecond shift. I know the GranTurismo S wasn't designed to be an all out sports car from the beginning like a 599, but its a little bit of a let down for me. I'm very interested still in this car, but unlike my GranSport, I'm not going to buy one until I can test drive it first.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The way the MC Shift "feature" works is as you correctly point out (btw, love your handle! :cool:) and it's probably a clutch saving feature, in the sense that it's only used when pushing.

I don't know how fast the gearchange is in sport mode, nor in normal mode. If you test drive one, please let us know :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Options pricing has been released and Skyhook is an option.

The gearbox is perfect the way it is; even the 599 does not change gears all the time at 100ms... why would you want such a quick shift when you're just taking it easy?

In a manual car, the speed at which u change gear also depends on many conditions, do you change as fast as you can when you're in a carpark circling for a lot?

I was in the factory about 3 weeks ago and there were quite a few 'S's on the production line. Heard a couple as they were driven past and they sound fantastic!

Can't comment on the way they handle but if referenced from the QP GT-S (w/o Skyhook), then i'm a happy camper :)

I do find that standard GT seat-backs to be on the hard side and am hoping that the alcantara inserts will soften it up slightly. 4.7 engine has been in the 8C for awhile now and i guess its a case of no news is good news...

I'm eagerly awaiting my first drive, not for awhile though as its RHD in my corner of the world.. Bring one for a spin and i'm optimistic that it'll be a good drive.

Best.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I have an S on order in the UK with delivery expected end Sept - early October 08. I, too, am curious about what others are hearing although I have noticed a few reviews appearing in the press which seem to be very positive.
(I posted the review from the Daily Telegraph eslewhere on this forum recently - they loved the car !!)

I specced my car last week so full extra prices are certainly available here. Skyhook is an option (which I have gone for) although in an ideal world I would have preferred to have test-driven an S to be able to compare the firmer suspension set-up.
I am told my car will be here before the dealer get their demonstrator - bit of a double-edged sword IMHO

Morsimon

·
Registered
695 Posts
I agree with Mr. Unholy. I have to believe there are different maps for shifting speeds dependent upon inputs: normal/sport modes, rpms, etc. Although I can't say for certain, I would doubt the F599 is ripping off 100ms shifts when in normal mode or obviously not in ice modes - whereas in race mode it would be appropriate.

This variation in shift speed design would not be a new philosophy with Ferrari engineering. I have some(where) F355 literature that states the newly introduced production F1 system was shifting as fast as the current late 90's Ferrari Formula One car when the rpms were above 7500.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The dealer yesterday told me the GranTurismo S list price will be ¥17.5m (about $163k at today's exchange rate) plus another $5k in taxes/registration/etc.

How does that compare to the price in the US?

Weight wise, the GT S is apparently 5kg only heavier than the base GT, but still almost 300kg heavier than my GranSport.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Testdrive review

From the July Car & Driver in HK, they went to Modena to testdrive the GT-S, there are few points highlighted and may be of your interest:
- 4.7L engine with 440hp, modified Dualselect trans but renamed as Electro-Actuated Transmission, factory claimed 0-100Km in 4.9 seconds;
- Skyhook as option;
- With 20 ins. wheels;
- Suggested price HK$1,788,000 (US$228,000.00);
- The new MC-shift is amazing, but can only be used under the Sport Mode, and it has to be over 5,500 rpm, then the MC-shift comes in and the shift time is shortened to only 0.10 second, faster than the F430, same as F599 and only behind the F430 Scuderia (0.06 second), the gear swifts are quite smooth in general;
- Under the Sport mode, it sounds very much like a Ferrari but even louder ;);
- It is built to be a luxury GT, even with lots of power but also quite heavy in weight and cannot have direct comparison with GranSport especially running those winding road;
The seats are too firm and flat, not too comfortable in long journey and while it was a demo car, they felt it has to be fine tune again to eliminate those bump steer before actual delivery.

Hope these can give more information for whoever being the potential owner.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
If your shifting is too quick for the load condition, it will just jerk you around. Not fun. I'll wait to comment further once I've actually driven it but this in of itself doesn't sound too bad.

·
Registered
349 Posts
From the July Car & Driver in HK, they went to Modena to testdrive the GT-S, there are few points highlighted and may be of your interest:
- 4.7L engine with 440hp, modified Dualselect trans but renamed as Electro-Actuated Transmission, factory claimed 0-100Km in 4.9 seconds;
- Skyhook as option;
- With 20 ins. wheels;
- Suggested price HK$1,788,000 (US$228,000.00);
- The new MC-shift is amazing, but can only be used under the Sport Mode, and it has to be over 5,500 rpm, then the MC-shift comes in and the shift time is shortened to only 0.10 second, faster than the F430, same as F599 and only behind the F430 Scuderia (0.06 second), the gear swifts are quite smooth in general;
- Under the Sport mode, it sounds very much like a Ferrari but even louder ;);
- It is built to be a luxury GT, even with lots of power but also quite heavy in weight and cannot have direct comparison with GranSport especially running those winding road;
The seats are too firm and flat, not too comfortable in long journey and while it was a demo car, they felt it has to be fine tune again to eliminate those bump steer before actual delivery.

Hope these can give more information for whoever being the potential owner.
Everything sounded great until its mentioned that it may not be comparable on the twisties to the GranSport.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
It's a much heavier car... If you desire better handling we have a sport spring kit. If that's all that's holding you back... We will also likely release a sway bar kit and a skyhook adjustable dampening controller.

·
Registered
349 Posts
See link below for what the new GT S can do on the track ;)

http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4324
Thanks for that, I missed that thread on this board. Naturally this is good news to hear. Its a similar story to when they tested the Quattroporte and it beat the V10 BMW M5 on the track being down 100 hp. As I mentioned before, for me, its solely about the "S" being not a let down from my current CLK63 AMG Black Series. My car although considered a heavy pig too feels incredibly light on its feet and equally important its an absolute blast to drive, if the "S" can come close to that I'm sold. I can't wait for a test drive!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Before I start on the results of my latest research (which is as much to do with the Granturismo as the Granturismo-S) I thought I'd point out that the Top Gear review I have referred to elsewhere is now online :

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2008/07/stories/05/1.html

Well folks I'm starting to wonder if it might be best to put off the purchase of my "S" for a couple of years based on my latest research. We all know that it is often best not to buy the first series of a new model so that bugs can be ironed out.

As a newcomer to Maserati I obviously had heard about reliability issues etc.....especially with the F1 style transmissions , but the word was that they had taken a huge step forward so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I have obviously been doing a huge amount of research and I think I have every single review written or on the web of the "S". It's all been mainly positive other than the issues I have already raised (seats,legroom etc........). If I was to be picky I'd really prefer the ZF auto gearbox as an option in a grand tourer too ala the DB9 etc.......

You can only learn so much from media road tests and "first drives" - the long term tests are coming in for things like the XKR now and not nearly as positive as they were early on.

So for the next phase of my research I thought I'd suss out what the locals have experienced with the standard GT now it's been around for a while and also find out the sort of service the local dealer has been giving - we only have one in the state and the next is 12 hrs drive away.

It's only taken me a day or two to find 3 GT's with dodgy side skirts (see attached) and one fella in particular over at ferarrichat has had a terrible time from the time he ordered........everything was stuffed from colour to delivery times to the side skirts to all the electronics going haywire.......you name it. And I was thinking along the lines that the GT- S has more that can go wrong with it due to the transmission , so the very least I want to find is that regular GT owners were having a good experience.

At this point in time I don't know what is the strongest force for me LOL - my love for the look and sound of this car or the fear of buying a $360k lemon from a dealer who couldn't give a toss.

If you want to do some reading the thread I started is here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204472

and a sample of some of the other threads are :

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137668401#post137668401

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193672&highlight=granturismo

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192685&highlight=granturismo&page=3

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137667192&highlight=granturismo#post137667192

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137630911&highlight=warranty#post137630911

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137773521&highlight=problems#post137773521

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204246&highlight=problems&page=2

Look in particular for the posts of a GT owner called 360c - an experienced exotic car owner who has had a terrible experience and is just sick of the car after a few months . One line that seems to show up a bit is "it gorgeous , when it's working" One or two of the threads start off with positive vibes but deteriorate from there.

There's something to be said for the idea that people only post/make noise when there's a problem which can make the majority who are happy seem invisible. However from what I've found so far there's a few too many people having problems for my liking. And that's before we introduce more complex trannys into the equation.

Comments welcome. I want this car BAD but am getting more and more nervous.

Cheers,

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Before I start on the results of my latest research...
Cheers,

Ed
hello ed, i would say for you, if you are so unsure about the GT-S, go for an DB9 instead.
for the money you are paying in australia, i would have your concerns, especially if you are used to Lexus or MB. unfortunately italian cars are not famous for their reliability.

seems like 360C has quite a few issues with his GT, but i see that both of you wrote very extensive replies.

not sure how many GT owners are on Fchat, and how many are actually happy or unhappy. use your own judgement when you read any forum. there will always be very vocal happy owners and likewise, very vocal unhappy owners.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts